Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid leak and transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Doc911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid leak and transmission failure

I have a 2005 Cayenne S in great physical condition with 80K on it (automatic). A month ago, I had a coolant leak, and had to change the plastic coolant pipes to aluminum. Also changed the starter, serpentine belt, 20K service and 2 break pads/rotors for a total of $4,000.

Last week I noticed another leak. Now the repair shop tells me that it was transmission fluid and that the seal needs to be replaced. They also said something about the stator and quoted around $2,500 for the job. But the added that this type of problem usually happens because there is something wrong with the transmission, so if I fix the seal and stator, the transmission could still fail at any time. Is it possible that the new transmission issues are connected to the repairs I did a month ago? To rebuild the transmission would cost around $5,500.

However, the guy said that if I could keep refilling the leaked transmission fluid, then I could probably drive it a while longer without any repairs. But he said there is no way for me to add transmission fluid myself. Is this true? How difficult is it?

Also, what do you guys think I should do? If I spend the $5,500 to rebuild the transmission, what other large repairs could surprise me next? If I could drive the car for another two years, without additional repair costs, and then sell a working car, I would do the repair.

Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Doc911; 07-22-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:26 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

They are feeding you a load of dookie and generally bad advice. You will find from reading on this board that it is very common for the transmission seal to leak after coolant has spilled on it for a while. Especially if the people who replace the pipes are careless in the process and let a bunch more coolant spill down onto the transmission when doing this service. Rarely does the transmission fail unless you drove it low on fluid for a long time. The leak is a documented result of the coolant.

It is difficult to add transmission fluid the first time, but once you know the process and have the right tools, it is absolutely a DIY thing that most anybody can do.

DO NOT rebuild the transmission. Just get the seal replaced, and not by these fools that did your previous work. It is a porsche, so there is no telling what the next repair or cost could be if you don't do any of the work yourself, but you are in the right place if you are motivated to try!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:36 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Here is the procedure for changing tranny fluid and filter. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ter_Change.htm
You can see how to top it up from this. I had the torque converter seal leak and had to top up the fluid every 3 weeks. A bit of a pain, but not too bad. I did trade it in so I never fixed it.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:43 AM
Doc911
Intermediate

Thanks nodoors for your reply. Unfortunately I don't know much about the inner workings of cars, and I've never done any DIY. Can you point me to a video showing how to add the transmission fluid?

And if I would replace the seal, what about the stator that they said could also be damaged (but they wouldn't know until they replaced the seal)? How much should something like this cost?

So you're saying that the transmission is most likely OK, and that replacing the seal (and maybe the stator too) would be enough? I was told that if I replaced the seal and stator for $2,500, then later I could have to spend another $5,500 to rebuild the transmission. But if I rebuild the transmission now, I "only" have to pay $5,500 including the seal and stator.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Los Angeles area that would replace the seal for less? But the shop I use now has always given me fair pricing, as far as I know.

Last edited by Doc911; 07-22-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:16 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc911
Unfortunately I don't know much about the inner workings of cars, and I've never done any DIY.
Followed by this:

But the shop I use now has always given me fair pricing, as far as I know.
How would you know? They're setting you up to empty your wallet. Dunno what sort of Doc you are - but hopefully one with a thriving practice.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,746 Likes on 4,292 Posts

Talk to Tony Callas at Callas-Rennsport
Old 07-22-2017, 11:26 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Thanks nodoors for your reply.

And if I would replace the seal, what about the stator that they said could also be damaged (but they wouldn't know until they replaced the seal)? How much should something like this cost?
Labor is $2-2.5k for the seal because it needs to be dropped. If your transmission is not exhibiting any other problems besides the leak, these guys are just trying to take you for an extra $3k ride for no reason other than lining their pockets. Again, it is very rare for transmissions to fail on these cars at 80k miles, AT valve bodies are common, but that is an entirely different service and nowhere near 5k.

So you're saying that the transmission is most likely OK, and that replacing the seal (and maybe the stator too) would be enough? I was told that if I replaced the seal and stator for $2,500, then later I could have to spend another $5,500 to rebuild the transmission. But if I rebuild the transmission now, I "only" have to pay $5,500 including the seal and stator.
YES. Even if it is showing odd signs of shifting it is most likely just fluid level or gunked up valve body. I don't think anyone will disagree on here that they are trying to talk you into spending thousands of dollars that you should not.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Doc911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
How would you know? They're setting you up to empty your wallet.
From when the car was new up until 5 years ago, I always had it serviced at the Porsche service center in LA. When I switched to the current shop, they charged me less than half of what Porsche charged for things like breaks and 20K service etc. So I assumed that the price difference would be similar for other jobs too. And I have had no complaints until recently when these two big issues have arisen (coolant pipes and transmission seal). But these things seem to be expensive to repair anywhere?
Old 07-22-2017, 04:33 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

A trustworthy shop would have warned you of the impeding doom of the plastic coolant pipes along with the expensive carnage that happens when they fail. Drive until one bursts and the starter and torque converter seal are automatically done. Then you have those who continue to drive with the engine overheating which can't help when it comes to the cylinder scoring issues.

As far as the stator??? That's the stationary windings in something like your alternator or starter motor. You mentioned they already replaced the starter and I have no idea why they would be going after your alternator (or even refer to an alternator as a stator).
Old 07-22-2017, 05:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

George, I suspect "stator" = torque converter, which IMHO surely does not need replacing. Just the seal for it.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Doc911
Intermediate

Thanks a lot guys for your helpful input! I feel more confident now that there is nothing wrong with my transmission (and I have never had any problems with the shifting). So on Monday, even if it hurts economically, I will probably go ahead and order the $2,500 job to replace the transmission seal. Hopefully this issue was all because of the coolant leak, and everything else is fine. If I can drive for another couple of years without any other major repairs, it will be worth it.

After speaking with the shop again today, to clarify, they said that if they start the job and the stator is ok, then everything should be fine and there is no need to rebuild the transmission. But if the stator is damaged, which they say they have seen in the past, then I would have to do that. The reason being, if I remember correctly, that no-one could not give any warranty on a stator replacement without a transmission rebuild.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:53 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

If they are referring to the torque convertor as the stator, the only reason it would need to be replaced is if they damage it when they pull the transmission to replace the seal. The torque convertors on these things almost never break.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 AM
Doc911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nodoors
If they are referring to the torque convertor as the stator, the only reason it would need to be replaced is if they damage it when they pull the transmission to replace the seal. The torque convertors on these things almost never break.
Yes, I think they're talking about a part of the torque convertor. If I remember correctly, the theory they had why I have this leak, was that it could have come from a problem with the transmission. In that case, the stator would probably be damaged. But since we have established here that the most likely cause is the coolant leak, the stator will hopefully be fine. And if so, the only thing they need to do is to repair the seal.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:40 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I am not going to be surprised if they happen to think it needs the full transmission rebuild once they have your car in pieces at their shop. I would beware of this shop as they clearly don't know the Cayenne very well from what you have described, but it is your car and money. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :-)
Old 07-23-2017, 12:32 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

I heard the same BS when the trans/differential seal failed on my 04CS at 60 mph. Lost both drive and reverse, had it towed to the closest indy shop.

They replaced the seal and refilled the trans with genuine Porshce trans fluid at $100/qt. They absolutely refused to use anything but P fluid. During a test drive they thought they heard cavitation sounds with a stethoscope and insisted the trans must be flushed.

Refusing to continue with this robbery they required that I sign a waiver voiding any guarantee for the repair work.

After another 40K mi. it was sold without another trans issue.

If the transmission is functioning as expected save your $$ and have the seal replaced. Forget anything else they try to sell you.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid leak and transmission failure