Notices

Twin-Plug Conversion

Old 11-12-2002, 11:12 AM
danthib
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Twin-Plug Conversion

Howdy all.

I have a 1969 2.0L longblock S motor that I plan on dropping in my 1968 911 USA. Does anybody have an cost estimate on the machine work required to modify the heads for the additional plug?

Any help would be a plus. This is a long-term project. The car currently has the original motor with 54,000 miles. Its my joy, but I want some additional powere that's why I bought the second engine.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:25 PM
JMZ
Intermediate

suggest you call walt at competition engineering or ollies for price. additional plug will mod will be the least of your costs to worry about though b/c if you need it you've already spent a pile of money to increase the c.r. to a point where you need the additional plug. the ignition set up for the twin plug head will cost you too.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by danthib:
<strong>Howdy all.

I have a 1969 2.0L longblock S motor that I plan on dropping in my 1968 911 USA. Does anybody have an cost estimate on the machine work required to modify the heads for the additional plug?

Any help would be a plus. This is a long-term project. The car currently has the original motor with 54,000 miles. Its my joy, but I want some additional powere that's why I bought the second engine.

Thanks in advance for your comments.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi:

JMZ offered you some sound advice about the twin-plug hardware. These heads were the most octane sensitive ones when the compression ratio approached 10:1 and twin-ignition is highly recommended here.

We charge $375 for machining your heads & lower valve covers for twin-ignition.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-12-2002, 02:33 PM
danthib
5th Gear

thanks for the replies...more questions on the subject.

How difficult is it to modify an existing distributor to a dual distributor? What are the pitfalls? Are single head distributors too exotic and expensive to consider? I have heard MSD is a prefered ignition box over the permatune for this type of setup. Any qualifications? How important is plug selection for this type of setup?

Lots of questions, thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Boras
6th Gear

Besides electromotive, who makes a twin plug kit here? THe Bosch parts aren't available, and MSD crank-fire rings are only made for a few cars!

Same predicament myself, help!
Old 11-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Tim
Racer

machining should be between $350-$400. The real cost is the ignition, crank fire set ups are about $1800. Modifying your distributor and getting the dual coils and MSD's are just a bit more.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:27 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by danthib:
<strong>thanks for the replies...more questions on the subject.

How difficult is it to modify an existing distributor to a dual distributor? What are the pitfalls? Are single head distributors too exotic and expensive to consider? I have heard MSD is a prefered ignition box over the permatune for this type of setup. Any qualifications? How important is plug selection for this type of setup?

Lots of questions, thanks in advance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi:

Well, the options are more limited for the present as the Bosch RSR caps & rotors are no longer made and one cannot convert the normal distributors to twin-plug operation anymore.

With the early cases (2.0-2.2 litre), all you can do is install a crank-fire unit like Electromotive and hope for the best. The late mag cases and all aluminum cases will accept the 3.6 dual distributor (along with some other hardware) and trigger a pair of MSD's and coils.

Hopefully, in the near future, the RSR caps and rotors will once again be available and make this whole thing much easier,..

Trending Topics

Old 10-13-2015, 12:43 AM
dthibaut
1st Gear

Talking My Twin Plug Project - Update

It's been awhile, ahem , since I've last posted (2002). Some pics to share, almost there...

Aaron Burnham creation...once unobtanium...

6 more holes in 69S Spec Engine! Going to run with Webers...

Custom panel for SWB side by side SWB & LWB Twin plug panels

Jim Tidwell Custom Panel w/ Kroon Custom Harness

Twin 14 Pin Harness, by Kroon.

Hopefully the last few steps won't take 13 more years!!!
Old 10-11-2022, 10:15 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Any one know of any good shops in NJ or PA East?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin-Plug Conversion