Notices

Cordless Impact Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:50 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Cordless Impact Wrenches

Do any of you have any experience with cordless impact wrenches? I don't have the ability to do a complete air set up and was thinking that one of the cordless bat operated units might be a good alternative.

Any personal experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Makita 12V cordless that I used to use when the Boxster S was on the track. I liked it because the max torque delivered on a full charge was something like 85 ft/lbs. I knew that I couldn't overtorque the lugnuts.

Unfortunately, it also only had 85 ft/lbs in reverse, so it meant that I had to break the lugs first.

In any case, it's a hell of a lot quicker than not having anything!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:28 PM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 1/2 impact Chicago from Harbor Freight for $129. I use it all the time while working on the car. It removes the steel lug nuts just fine and every bolt/nut on the front and rear suspension. Except the stub axle nuts.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:20 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a $49 Nikoa from Kragen Auto and it has the same 85ftlbs like Glenn's Makita. I'm not satisfied because you have to break the lugs first. Then again its only $49. I have a friend (who is a mechanic) that has a $289 Milluwalkie that has over 150ftlbs of torque and it works well. I guess the Harbor Frieght one sounds good if you don't use it that much like a real mechanic.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:10 PM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by jetskied
I have a $49 Nikoa from Kragen Auto and it has the same 85ftlbs like Glenn's Makita. I'm not satisfied because you have to break the lugs first. Then again its only $49. I have a friend (who is a mechanic) that has a $289 Milluwalkie that has over 150ftlbs of torque and it works well. I guess the Harbor Frieght one sounds good if you don't use it that much like a real mechanic.
Just getting a little off topic. If there are "real mechanics" does that mean there are "fake mechanics"?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:05 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Cool. I was looking at the Makitas and thought the might be the right choice for $$ and power. Snap-On units are too much $$$
Old 11-16-2004, 06:33 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 924martinirossi
Just getting a little off topic. If there are "real mechanics" does that mean there are "fake mechanics"?
No what I mean guys who use them daily for a living. We are consider more weekend warriors as far as being a mechanic.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a DeWalt that has 100+ ft-Lb of torque. It works great for changing tires at the track (or at home). I can't imagine why I waited so long to buy one. HOWEVER, I would not use one for changing the aluminum lug nuts on my daily driver (or at least not to break them loose). It beats the snot out of the anodization and makes the lugs look terrible. It works just fine on steel lugs.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:26 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a makita 1/2" 24 volt, max tightening torque high speed - 144 ft lbs, low speed 108 ft lbs.

Works great.

Richard
Old 11-17-2004, 04:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There are quite a few new 18V Snap On impact wrenches (3850?) on eBay for very competitive prices compared to Makita and DeWalt.

The SnapOn impact wrenches are basically bulletproof in construction.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:01 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also have a 1/2 inch snapon 18V as well - it works well...
Old 11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
David K.
Pro

Milwaukee 18v is what I us and so does a lot of other NNJR PCA guys.

What ever you get make sure it's 18V.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
I have a DeWalt that has 100+ ft-Lb of torque. It works great for changing tires at the track (or at home). I can't imagine why I waited so long to buy one. HOWEVER, I would not use one for changing the aluminum lug nuts on my daily driver (or at least not to break them loose). It beats the snot out of the anodization and makes the lugs look terrible. It works just fine on steel lugs.
Would the soft inserts save yours lug nuts?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a "soft socket" and it did not appear to help much with the stock aluminum lugs - they still were damaged. For my street car, I break the lugs by hand with the soft socket and then use the cordless to speed the removal and replacement. I always do the final tightening by hand (on both cars).

At the track, it's bliss to not have to do it all by hand (not to mention so much faster). A big benefit is you don't have to break the nuts free before you jack up the car. I can pull the wheels and check the brake pads pretty easily between sessions with the help from the corless. While it's not as helpfull to use it for the street car, it still helps speed things up a bit.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:01 PM
LS7-Kevin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, impacts are great, but I still prefer to break lug nuts loose with a bar, and then tighten with a torque wrench (prevents warped wheels). I use an air IR2131 (400 lb/ft), but even with all that power, always break the nut loose first. Yeah, it does take a little more time, but saves the nut and wheel. It is disturbing when you can see metal particles flying around when you "hammer" away with an impact. I can use it portable (very limited) with dry nitrogen or SCUBA air.

A reasonable alternative is a HD cordless drill with adapters. They work great AFTER the nut is broken loose, and can spin most fasteners, even lug nuts.

I was tempted to buy one of the electrics, but what I have fills the bill.

Kevin-Dallas

Quick Reply: Cordless Impact Wrenches