Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FriscoTexasGuy
Hi all - Would appreciate your opinion on the following build that I created for my MY19 order that will be placed next month. Thanks!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJXIMTM9
exciting because when I ordered my car together with a friend, he was initially also chasing your colour wheel combination till he accidentally saw the combination live in the showroom and chose to go for the black wheels. The first pic was his initial order, the second pic was what he changed to:

somehow the silverish turbo wheels did not do the trick for him whereas the black wheels worked well with the black trim, black mirrors and all the other black accents like Porsche logo, sports design package in black etc..

Apart from that, a very well loaded car. I guess the standard questions that pop up:
1) have you tested the 14 way comfort seats? I found the sport seats slightly sportier thanks to the side supports that you can adjust
2) sport exhaust - the normal exhaust sounds good but I guess you have tested it and therefore chose to take it?
3) rear windows tinted? would blend in well with the high gloss black trim
4) since you have gone for the porsche logo in black, the black tail lights, black exhaust, have you considered taking mirrors in glossy black? similarly, how about the black led matrix lights? I did not want to take the matrix lights but forked out the money for the "black" lights.
5) rear wiper?
6) 7,2kw charger if you want to charge faster at stations outside your home during the day. we are talking about 2x provided the charging station provides you with sufficient electricity.

So pretty much everything from my side :-)

Last edited by rsyed; 06-12-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi all - Would appreciate your opinion on the following build that I created for my MY19 order that will be placed next month. Thanks!

Frisco, I like your build and it is strikingly similar to what I have on order. I have the executive with a few extras, but the color and wheels are the same. I went with Silver trim and black calipers instead of the acid green. I noticed that you did not have anything specified for your charging system and cables. I will attach my build for reference and please feel free to comment.
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJL6B6E4
Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
exciting because when I ordered my car together with a friend, he was initially also chasing your colour wheel combination till he accidentally saw the combination live in the showroom and chose to go for the black wheels. The first pic was his initial order, the second pic was what he changed to:

somehow the silverish turbo wheels did not do the trick for him whereas the black wheels worked well with the black trim, black mirrors and all the other black accents like Porsche logo, sports design package in black etc.. Considered going with black wheels but I am not a huge fan of the chrome lip.

Apart from that, a very well loaded car. I guess the standard questions that pop up:
1) have you tested the 14 way comfort seats? I found the sport seats slightly sportier thanks to the side supports that you can adjust I did try the 14 way comfort seats during my recent test drive. I have yet to try the adaptive sports seats by agree that the side bolsters provide the additional support.
2) sport exhaust - the normal exhaust sounds good but I guess you have tested it and therefore chose to take it? Agree that the normal exhausts sound good but the sports exhaust provides the extra oomph. Still going back and worth and now you have me considering swapping out with the adaptive sports seats.
3) rear windows tinted? would blend in well with the high gloss black trim Windows will receive the Huber Optik treatment upon delivery as the privacy glass is not an option in the US.
4) since you have gone for the porsche logo in black, the black tail lights, black exhaust, have you considered taking mirrors in glossy black? similarly, how about the black led matrix lights? I did not want to take the matrix lights but forked out the money for the "black" lights. Haha..I did consider both. I saw the gloss black side mirrors in person but hard to see the difference in the sunlight. Maybe I was looking at a bad angle because they do stand out in your pic. Have yet to see the black led matrix lights in person to make a decision.
5) rear wiper? Decided to pass on the wiper.
6) 7,2kw charger if you want to charge faster at stations outside your home during the day. we are talking about 2x provided the charging station provides you with sufficient electricity. My commute is fairly short and will only need to charge from home.

So pretty much everything from my side :-)
Thanks for the feedback! I hope I do not make any more changes between now and July as you now have me considering the adaptive sport seats. I need to return back to dealership to test.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:06 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Frisco, I like your build and it is strikingly similar to what I have on order. I have the executive with a few extras, but the color and wheels are the same. I went with Silver trim and black calipers instead of the acid green. I noticed that you did not have anything specified for your charging system and cables. I will attach my build for reference and please feel free to comment.
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJL6B6E4
Pana TJ - Lovely build. I do agree going with black calipers for the executive since the air intakes are silver. Did you not like Bose system? It was hard to convince myself to go with the Burmester based on overall value. I primarily listen to satellite radio and occasionally audio files on my iPhone. I really like the interior having seen it in person at the local dealer. Regarding the charging system/cables, overlooked it to be honest. Not sure if I need the 7.2kw based on my commute but have to add as I just read that Texas is bringing back its electric vehicle incentive program which offers a $2,500 discount at the purchase of all-electric and plug-in hybrids. Guess it is an easy choice now!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Another thing I just learned. I was debating ordering the 6 Disc Player when I speccd my car originally because the SA told me I wouldn't be able to play CD's in the car without it. We like to listen to books on CDs when we drive long distances but I figured I would just download them onto my iPhone when needed. Well I just realized the car has a CD player built into the glove compartment and it works just fine. We will have to change out each CD but now I'm really glad I didn't spec the 6 Disc player.
Yes, I use CDs also and very much like that feature. When I saw new-gen Panameras at dealerships last year, I noticed they all had CD players in the glove boxes. But the Porsche Configurator online made no mention of them being standard, curiously, when I ordered my Sport Turismo this past March. I debated the 6-CD changer also but decided against it, gambling that the ST would have it in the glove compartment also -- and it does.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 AM
rsyed
Racer

Thanks for the feedback! I hope I do not make any more changes between now and July as you now have me considering the adaptive sport seats. I need to return back to dealership to test.
Some additional food for thought:
1) as you are ordering a e-hybrid, when the car goes from electric mode to ice mode, the sound from the exhaust sounds amazing. Obviously, sound is relative because if you had no sound earlier, when you do have sound it does sound dominant. I was also on the fence but chose not to take the sports exhaust because at the end it was too loud for me and I ended up turning it off during the test drive.
2) in two weeks I can share pics of volcano grey with black mirrors. Spent a lot of time discussing with my friend whether there is sufficient contrast (like you would have on a white car) but then he chose to take it as it would blend in well with the glossy trim and the glossy parts from the sports design package.
3) dark led matrix lights was a challenge to find in any showroom. I ordered it as I assumed it must be darker than the normal lights. The major difference is that the chrome parts are darker. Should give an overall darker look but I don't assume that huge of a difference. In your case (volcano vs. white in my case) you can probably save the money on it.

4) my logic for the 7,2kw charger was: if there was any free electricity at a charging station outside of home and I were to charge the car there, the faster u charge, the more I save and eventually the 7,2kw charger will pay off for itself thanks to free electricity

5) test the seats again. If you are comfy with the 14 way comfort seats, then no need to upgrade
Old 06-13-2018, 07:18 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sports Exhaust was not an option when I ordered and whilst it is not a necessity, as far as I'm concerned it can never be too loud! But it's £2,500...

The picture above illustrates the madness of some of the options - Porsche really want you to pay £[300?] more for that?!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I just rushed outside to disconnect my charge, as yet another thunderstorm rolls in to Provence. I saw that the Rain-X I applied to the rear screen yesterday seems quite effective in making the water bead and run down the screen. I suppose the upside is that we won't have any forest fires this year, everything is absolutely sodden.

Wilson
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 AM
rsyed
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Sports Exhaust was not an option when I ordered and whilst it is not a necessity, as far as I'm concerned it can never be too loud! But it's £2,500...
bit ironic to drive an e-hybrid in complete silence and then wake up the neighborhood with the sports exhaust :-)

probably you are right - a sports exhaust can never be too loud. I just could not justify to myself paying this much money with the primary concern that i wont be using it often enough. Probably for 1k, I would not have thought twice, but for 2,5k, there were too many other goodies I wanted, specially the goodies you can not retrofit at a sensible cost. Sport exhaust seems to be tequpment stuff and the premium to have it retrofitted is ok'ish.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K777
checked my rear wipe, doesn't work when ticked either like yours.
Not issue I guess as I wouldn't want it anyway.
My rear wiper doesn't work either when in reverse, when that box is ticked.
I've noticed a couple of other items in the optional screen settings that don't appear to work when ticked, also; can't recall specifically what they are right now, but I'll try and make note of it as they come up again... It seems like the software-hardware links weren't fully activated with all of the driver options.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 PM
ahha128821
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frisco, satin platinum wheels look great with volcano grey imo
Old 06-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
My rear wiper doesn't work either when in reverse, when that box is ticked.
I've noticed a couple of other items in the optional screen settings that don't appear to work when ticked, also; can't recall specifically what they are right now, but I'll try and make note of it as they come up again... It seems like the software-hardware links weren't fully activated with all of the driver options.
I am told there is a big software update due soon. As I was told this on the 21st of May and this was after my chase up from the original advice of the update on the 12th of April, so Porsche's definition of "soon" is somewhat different to mine. This already being loaded in new cars, if they are making any at present, which seems to be in doubt, possibly due to changes to meet new WLTP fuel consumption test rules. This will correct a number of the software glitches that have been reported like the one I reported to Porsche GB where the digital speedometer does not change to KPH along with everything else. I hope, probably in vain, that they might cure the 6 disc player not playing MP3 files. When I was trying to get the Porsche Connect working properly and talking to my iPhone as the manual says it should, I had a long conversation with their help desk in Berlin. It was rapidly apparent that the version of the software he was working from was totally different to mine, with a number of menu items missing on the UK version. "Please click on the fourth item down in the menu", when there are only three items on that menu, etc.

Wilson
Old 06-13-2018, 05:29 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by rsyed

Some additional food for thought:
1) as you are ordering a e-hybrid, when the car goes from electric mode to ice mode, the sound from the exhaust sounds amazing. Obviously, sound is relative because if you had no sound earlier, when you do have sound it does sound dominant. I was also on the fence but chose not to take the sports exhaust because at the end it was too loud for me and I ended up turning it off during the test drive.
2) in two weeks I can share pics of volcano grey with black mirrors. Spent a lot of time discussing with my friend whether there is sufficient contrast (like you would have on a white car) but then he chose to take it as it would blend in well with the glossy trim and the glossy parts from the sports design package.
3) dark led matrix lights was a challenge to find in any showroom. I ordered it as I assumed it must be darker than the normal lights. The major difference is that the chrome parts are darker. Should give an overall darker look but I don't assume that huge of a difference. In your case (volcano vs. white in my case) you can probably save the money on it.

4) my logic for the 7,2kw charger was: if there was any free electricity at a charging station outside of home and I were to charge the car there, the faster u charge, the more I save and eventually the 7,2kw charger will pay off for itself thanks to free electricity

5) test the seats again. If you are comfy with the 14 way comfort seats, then no need to upgrade

Stopped by the dealer to see the dark matrix lights and compared against standard PDLS Plus. A slight difference as you can go either way.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:34 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Can anyone who has their car speak to the smoothness between the two powertrains? I just watched a review video that said the car feels uneasy and sometimes confused in traffic. It also said that when braking, the transition from regenerative to mechanical is noticeable, almost too much, which can be annoying. Now I believe that there were some issues with the press cars which have been resolved, but now I'm double guessing my choice of getting the hybrid over the base or S, even though financially and the power you get makes the hybrid the best choice.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:25 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I have been impressed at how smoothly my car goes between electric-only and ICE. I think there have been a few times when the change has been noticeable, and where the downshifting or upshifting in the ICE has seemed not so smooth. This is my first hybrid car, and I am really impressed with the acceleration in all-electric mode, and I love the quietness of it. I'm pretty keen on the forthcoming Cross Turismo (if the all-electric car comes out in that form), except for my fears of long-distance driving without an ICE onboard. If filling up on electric was as quick and easy as filling up on gasoline, it would be a no-brainer to just have a Cross Turismo, but until then we will need some ICE in our long-distance vehicle(s). Having had a V6 Panamera previously, which I really liked, I do prefer the electric motor to the ICE (and I've driven Panamera Turbos also). I'm happy that I got the E-Hybrid for now, and I am getting about 700 miles on a tank of gas while I drive locally mostly; that's a real plus -- not having to visit gas stations so often.

I'd like to ask you guys about first oil changes, if any of you have thoughts on this. I was reading a Volvo forum discussion in which a mechanic said he always changes the oil at the first 5000 miles from brand new (instead of the manual-recommended 10k miles) because there are a lot of extra metals churning around during the initial break-in period (and he provided some technical lab results breaking down the metals in the used 5k oil as evidence). Does anybody here think that we should be changing our Panamera E-Hybrid oil earlier than 1 year/10k miles? (Of course, there is the issue that the ICE isn't running as much in our E-Hybrids as the ICEs are in ICE-only Panameras. I have figured that seven gas fill-ups at 75% empty will represent close to 2000 miles of break-in period on the ICE alone, since we can't go by the odometer alone with so much usage via the electric motor alone. So that would mean about 20-21 fill-ups for 5000 miles, and 40-42 fill-ups for 10k miles.)

Also, when do you guys usually fill up on gas? Just curious... I understand that it's best to fill up when you're somewhere between half and 25% full, and I usually aim for 25%-33% full when I fill up.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread