Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Righty
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thorfun
I fully understand how the costs keeps going up and up when ticking boxes on the configurator! and something generally has to be left out.
your build looks good. I have a couple of comments though.

1. you have privacy glass AND sunshades on the rear windows. do you need both? maybe you can get rid of one to save some money? I decided to not have the privacy glass and get the shades after talking with my children. they decided that they didn't want the darkened windows as it reduces what they can see at night.

2. the BOSE system. I didn't get this as I was worried about the extra reduction in boot space that might come with this. with the hybrid batteries under the boot and the car battery moved to the side I wonder where they put the subwoofer? I remember in the old hybrid that has the Bose system I test drove the subwoofer reduced the boot space considerably. might be worth checking if the Bose system or even the Burmester reduces the boot space more. Maybe another 4 e-hybrid owner that has the Bose system can confirm if the sub takes up space in the boot?

3. you've ticked the "digital radio" box. I don't remember ticking anything like that and the car still came with a DAB radio. but my Dutch is non-existent so that box might be something more than DAB!

For me I would prefer Adaptive Cruise Control to the BOSE system as I find it takes the stress out of long motorway driving and is very useful for the average speed limit cameras and motorway speed cameras we have in the UK.

I also chose a standard metallic colour to save some money from the special colours and used that elsewhere.

But, it's a very nice looking car! I spent ages going through the configurator and changing options and adding stuff and taking others away.

Speccing up the car is a very personal thing and you should, ultimately, get what you want. As someone said on here once, you'll love the car no matter what you choose as options so just tick boxes until you're happy or your budget is at it's limit.

good luck!
Since you have the base audio system how good is it? I’m also thinking of leaving out the Bose system so your feedback would be helpful Thanks!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although said before, specification is a very personal thing, I also appreciated thoughts from others which from time to time helps making own decisions on the specs finally - so, here just a few thoughts from my side:

rear-achsle-steering: did go for it, as there was a lot of positive feedback in all reports and forums I´ve read - also head it on my Q7 before and for me it did make a big difference compared without it

GT-silver: did make a huge difference for me at the end, showing the design (lines) much better then with dark colors - but sure, it´s not everybody colour, I also had to find my final decision for it - being very happy with it now - also needed to digest the 3K higher price

Alcantara Roof: if this would be available for <1K, I would take it for sure. but after adding extra after extra, at some point of time I needed to give in as well on something - and it was finally the Alcantara roof - which looks nice, but - to be honest - how ofter do you look at the roof? had it on the Q7 as well, but 2K wasn't´t worth it for me anymore!

Bose: was a no-brainer for me, as I also really like listening to my own music in the car. Burmesen with additional 6K was very much over-priced for me - with this money you can order another 2-3 valuable extras instead. and I personally think, the Bose is not that bad at all. Standard I wouldn't´t have taken, although never heard it personally before!

good luck with your final decision, I know for my own how hard it is to finally fix it ;-)
Old 07-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoeris
Someone wanting to check my current build? Always open for suggestions, or thumbs up if you like it http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PJNPXD57
Wow, those options do add up. Though part of that is no doubt exchange rate / regional pricing - a 4eH starts at USD $99,600 here, which is EUR 87,000.

I didn't see lane change assist in there, but maybe that's standard now. I found LCA invaluable because of the poor rear visibility.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Yoeris
Advanced

Originally Posted by hymo1200
Although said before, specification is a very personal thing, I also appreciated thoughts from others which from time to time helps making own decisions on the specs finally - so, here just a few thoughts from my side:

rear-achsle-steering: did go for it, as there was a lot of positive feedback in all reports and forums I´ve read - also head it on my Q7 before and for me it did make a big difference compared without it

GT-silver: did make a huge difference for me at the end, showing the design (lines) much better then with dark colors - but sure, it´s not everybody colour, I also had to find my final decision for it - being very happy with it now - also needed to digest the 3K higher price

Alcantara Roof: if this would be available for <1K, I would take it for sure. but after adding extra after extra, at some point of time I needed to give in as well on something - and it was finally the Alcantara roof - which looks nice, but - to be honest - how ofter do you look at the roof? had it on the Q7 as well, but 2K wasn't´t worth it for me anymore!

Bose: was a no-brainer for me, as I also really like listening to my own music in the car. Burmesen with additional 6K was very much over-priced for me - with this money you can order another 2-3 valuable extras instead. and I personally think, the Bose is not that bad at all. Standard I wouldn't´t have taken, although never heard it personally before!

good luck with your final decision, I know for my own how hard it is to finally fix it ;-)
Thanks for your input, might ask the dealer to drive both non and rear axle steering models. If it really benefits driving performance (not only parking) then I might order it.

Do you have pictures of your gt silver? Very curious

Yeah Burmester is very steep, but I have it in the Cayenne so I am looking forward testing the Bose and how it compares. In the end it will come down to real musthaves and the "would be nice but not for that amount"options
Old 07-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Yoeris
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Wow, those options do add up. Though part of that is no doubt exchange rate / regional pricing - a 4eH starts at USD $99,600 here, which is EUR 87,000.

I didn't see lane change assist in there, but maybe that's standard now. I found LCA invaluable because of the poor rear visibility.
Yeah, this is included taxes, maybe in the USA prices are shown without? Still it is a lot of money for a car, people buy houses for this amount

But it is a company car and tax regulations are making this car more interesting than a 80.000 eur non hybrid car...

And LCA is still an option but I never saw the point of it in a car, maybe after test drive I will
Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoeris
And LCA is still an option but I never saw the point of it in a car, maybe after test drive I will
You really need to test drive the car to understand just how much the C pillar blocks your vision.

LCA is not a substitute for the mirrors or a head check. It's an extra warning. On at least one occasion LCA warned me about a car I did not see otherwise. It's also a timesaver, because if you can see the light is on, you don't need to do a head check. You know there's someone coming and you need to wait.

I will say it's important to go into the menu and turn up the brightness on the LCA warning lights. That makes it easier to spot them in your peripheral vision.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM
tm20333
6th Gear

Can anyone who has heard and tested the burmester give their opinion how it sounds and how it compares to the S Class burmester or the range rover meridian system? I have read horrible reviews on the burmester of the previous generation panamera but haven't found any reviews of the new one.
I have a new Pan turbo coming in september with the burmester and don't have the opportunity to test one out.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:42 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Well my SA got back to me tonight. It turns out there is in fact a significant delay for all MY 2018 Panamera e-Hybrids. The exact quote he received which was dated 6/29 reads "Early MY2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid production has been delayed. Units will not complete production before the last week of July. Unfortunately completion dates in the system earlier than the last week in July are incorrect and can not be amended to the correct date until further in the production process." So although my car actually entered the Body Shop on June 25th, it will actually not be completed until sometime in September. Not sure what I can do at this point??
Old 07-14-2017, 04:48 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tm - the Burmester is a stunning sound system. Incredible clarity of tone and probably the best I've ever heard. If you can afford it, get it. I decided that £5k could get a lot of other kit which + Bose made me happier overall. Also didn't want to go mad on the cost...
Old 07-14-2017, 04:54 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Originally Posted by tm20333
Can anyone who has heard and tested the Burmester give their opinion how it sounds and how it compares to the S-Class Burmester or the range rover meridian system? I have read horrible reviews on the Burmester of the previous generation Panamera but haven't found any reviews of the new one.
I have a new Pan turbo coming in September with the Burmester and don't have the opportunity to test one out.
I'm in the same situation as you! Ordered on the Panamera 4s without testing it! Fingers cross!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:56 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Righty
Since you have the base audio system how good is it? I’m also thinking of leaving out the Bose system so your feedback would be helpful Thanks!
Hi Righty. Up until now i've not really pushed the base sound system at all. i mostly listen to a DAB radio station in the summer and then from September it's either that or the live sport radio to listen to the football (or Soccer if you like) commentary and scores. I also stream music from my phone so, to be honest, the original source is not the best quality as it's compressed to an mp3 format. it is for this reason that i wasn't really interested in the Bose system. Plus i also had concerns about the subwoofer taking up boot space which it would seem were unjustified in the end. Also, a car isn't the best environment to be to listen to high quality music due to road noise, passengers conversing, keeping concentration on the road etc.

But, as you asked the questions, yesterday i decided to really crank up the sound system and see what i thought!

It's really not that bad at all! the high end is clear and even at high levels the bass doesn't distort. it doesn't have that "kick you in the *****" subwoofer thump but then i don't really listen to a lot of music that needs that. The rock music i played sounded great (and very loud!) and was good enough for me. And then when i put on some Bob Marley and the bass line was nicely rounded and it all sounded clear.

The Panamera i test drove had the Bose system in it and i do admit that the Bose Surround feature seemed to add something to the sound and I do remember it sounding more spacious so there is definitely a difference between the 2 systems and if i'd had concrete confirmation that boot space wasn't compromised i might have gone for the Bose system but i'm very happy with the base system and it's fine for what i listen to in the car.

Maybe if i'd gone for the insulated glass to make the cabin even quieter the better sound systems would have a larger impact but, for me, to spend the extra ££($$) on a stereo in a car seems excessive! although, if money was no object then i'd tick the box on the Burmester system just to see what it was all about.

I hope this helps. I would suggest to go to a dealer to hear the difference but it would seem that most demonstrators have the Bose system at least in them so that may not be possible.

I also wonder how not having an upgraded stereo might affect resale of the car? not so much in price but in desirability. but i figure it'll be minimal as i doubt people buy these cars for the sound of the stereo....i know i didn't!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:10 AM
Righty
AutoX

Originally Posted by thorfun
Hi Righty. Up until now i've not really pushed the base sound system at all. i mostly listen to a DAB radio station in the summer and then from September it's either that or the live sport radio to listen to the football (or Soccer if you like) commentary and scores. I also stream music from my phone so, to be honest, the original source is not the best quality as it's compressed to an mp3 format. it is for this reason that i wasn't really interested in the Bose system. Plus i also had concerns about the subwoofer taking up boot space which it would seem were unjustified in the end. Also, a car isn't the best environment to be to listen to high quality music due to road noise, passengers conversing, keeping concentration on the road etc.

But, as you asked the questions, yesterday i decided to really crank up the sound system and see what i thought!

It's really not that bad at all! the high end is clear and even at high levels the bass doesn't distort. it doesn't have that "kick you in the *****" subwoofer thump but then i don't really listen to a lot of music that needs that. The rock music i played sounded great (and very loud!) and was good enough for me. And then when i put on some Bob Marley and the bass line was nicely rounded and it all sounded clear.

The Panamera i test drove had the Bose system in it and i do admit that the Bose Surround feature seemed to add something to the sound and I do remember it sounding more spacious so there is definitely a difference between the 2 systems and if i'd had concrete confirmation that boot space wasn't compromised i might have gone for the Bose system but i'm very happy with the base system and it's fine for what i listen to in the car.

Maybe if i'd gone for the insulated glass to make the cabin even quieter the better sound systems would have a larger impact but, for me, to spend the extra ££($$) on a stereo in a car seems excessive! although, if money was no object then i'd tick the box on the Burmester system just to see what it was all about.

I hope this helps. I would suggest to go to a dealer to hear the difference but it would seem that most demonstrators have the Bose system at least in them so that may not be possible.

I also wonder how not having an upgraded stereo might affect resale of the car? not so much in price but in desirability. but i figure it'll be minimal as i doubt people buy these cars for the sound of the stereo....i know i didn't!
Thanks for the feedback because I have search forums and have not heard any “reviews†for the base stereo system. I agree that the burmester system is a bit overkill and as for the resale value I doubt that the stereo system will affect the value. People are probably more concerned about the engine, transmission, etc. haha. We can both sleep soundly at mighty then
Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 AM
tm20333
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ajriches01
tm - the Burmester is a stunning sound system. Incredible clarity of tone and probably the best I've ever heard. If you can afford it, get it. I decided that £5k could get a lot of other kit which + Bose made me happier overall. Also didn't want to go mad on the cost...

That's a relief!, I did get it because I really do appreciate sound quality in my cars, but was worried that it wasn't going to be nowhere near as good as the 29 speaker meridian in my Range Rover.
For some reason burmester is £4k on the Turbo.
Thanks for clarifying
Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Apparently, Burmester say it's the system they are most happy with, way more so than what is in the Bugatti Veyron (not sure about Chiron!). For anyone worried though, the Bose is very good and I much prefer it to the Harmon Kardon in the BMW.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Yoeris
Advanced

Today was testdrive day
I was very surprised with the capability of the hybrid system, so far so good.
I learned that the driving assists are nothing for me, as the demo car was fully equipped with them I left them off.

Four wheel steering is not necessary, car is agile and feels very connected to the road with standard steering.

I was disappointed in the Bose audio, so I ticked Burmester after listening to it in another Panamera, it's even better than in my current Cayenne.

I also decided to go for a full black look, sport design package high gloss with black painted Turbo 20 rims and yellow PCCB.

For the interior I am still undecided, I went for full black leather because of the 1 year old daughter I am too afraid to go for bicolor black/crayon. But the trim in high gloss black is also very scratch sensitive? Should I maybe consider carbon trim or painted trim? Suggestions?

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread