Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 02:57 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Basic mount installed in my drive. Only finished it today so I'll eventually tidy the cable up to make it all a little neater. But it'll do for now!
Old 07-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you not have a garage? Having the charger (er, EVSE, it's not a charger) exposed to the elements like that would make me nervous.

That receptacle for the J1772 plug is kinda neat.

My car came with a rather bulky housing that had storage jacks for the J1772 at the bottom. The EVSE was the same, it just fit into a bulky case. Are they not including that anymore?
Name:  1Uds99v.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  140.0 KB
Old 07-07-2017, 07:46 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Thorfun,
That looks great!! Did everything in the photo come with it? Did you also get the "carrying case" for taking it on the road? How hard to disconnect the Universal Charger and take it with you on the road?

Gus,
The "Porsche Charging Dock" is a $400 extra and my dealer told me it was unnecessary so I didn't order it. While it does make things look a little nicer not worth $400 to me. Also, not sure how easy/hard it is to remove the "Universal Charger (A/C)" if you want to take it with you on the road (e.g. use it at someone else's home to charge up. I know it isn't really a "charger" but that's what they call it on the configuration website.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 PM
lsju24
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning to think the SE hybrid is the one for me with budget restrictions. I'm looking at a 2014 with 39,000 miles and extended warranty until 2020.Any feedback would be welcomed all service records are available for it. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:39 AM
thorfun
Racer

Gus: my single garage is not big enough to house the car so it's in the driveway. i will be putting either a sunshade or some sort of cover over the charger to keep the elements of it as much as possible. but the manual does say that it's designed to be used outdoors but should be kept out of direct sunlight.

Lefty: i did get the "carrying case" but i doubt i'll ever take it on the road. it's not hard to take it off but i just doubt i'll ever do it but it's definitely possible should i need to.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by lsju24
I'm beginning to think the SE hybrid is the one for me with budget restrictions. I'm looking at a 2014 with 39,000 miles and extended warranty until 2020.Any feedback would be welcomed all service records are available for it. Thanks everyone.
Sorry Isju, can't comment on the SE hybrid. I have the new 2017 4 e-hybrid for which this is the owners thread for. it might be best to start a new thread asking for comments on the SE hybrid so it doesn't get lost in this thread!
The following users liked this post:
BUZO JOE (12-05-2020)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:43 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Do you not have a garage? Having the charger (er, EVSE, it's not a charger) exposed to the elements like that would make me nervous.

That receptacle for the J1772 plug is kinda neat.

My car came with a rather bulky housing that had storage jacks for the J1772 at the bottom. The EVSE was the same, it just fit into a bulky case. Are they not including that anymore?
just noticed that you have a plastic cover on the electric charge "petrol" cap on the car which i assume plugs into the socket on the car when it's not being charged. like you get on the petrol side.
i don't have that on mine. i wonder if that's a US regulation thing.

any other UK owners have that?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
The "Porsche Charging Dock" is a $400 extra and my dealer told me it was unnecessary so I didn't order it.
I agree, the dock isn't worth $400. It was included with my car, if they'd asked that much money for it, I wouldn't have ordered it. Heck, for that price, you can get a dedicated EVSE designed for a permanent wall installation rather than the semi-portable PUC.

Removing the PUC from the dock is exactly like removing it from the wall mount in Thorfun's photo, since it's the same hardware. The plastic mount goes inside the dock, but it's still the same mount. You unplug it, open the door, and pull.
Name:  KrOh6ld.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  77.1 KB

Because the PUC's so bulky I purchased an AeroVironment Turbocord for travel, which is the most compact level-2 charger I've seen. In practice this turned out to be silly of me, because I used it maybe 4-5 times, so it made little sense to spend another $600 on a portable cord.
Name:  7RhCzZRm.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  13.3 KB

Originally Posted by lsju24
I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, since I owned that model. I don't think it's that different from the 4 eH. The biggest difference being it's rear-wheel drive rather than AWD.

One issue that comes to mind is that there was a service bulletin which required a change to the on-board charging computer. When I brought my car in for the 1 year service, they brought that up. It was covered under warranty, but it was a multi-day affair since they had to yank the traction battery to get to the controller. You should check if this has been done, though it's probably a free service if it hasn't.
Name:  c323UTi.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  170.9 KB

Originally Posted by thorfun
just noticed that you have a plastic cover on the electric charge "petrol" cap on the car which i assume plugs into the socket on the car when it's not being charged.
Yep, exactly. It's a cap that fits over the charging jack in addition to the metal port cover.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:27 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

guys, one question I still would have - as this was not asked or discussed so far, if I´m not mistaken:

what kind of is the sound when starting the engine of the e-hybrid? Is this always a kind of "silent electric sound" paired with an artificial sound of the sound module (which i´ve read somewhere, that this is generated while going in e-drive mode). i.e. do we miss the nice Porsche start-up sound of the V6 engine anytime when starting the engine?

might be an easy question to those owning already their e-hybrid ;-)

thanks, Hymo
Old 07-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hymo1200
what kind of is the sound when starting the engine of the e-hybrid?
No fake sounds in the Panamera (unlike, say, the BMW i8).

It's quieter than most engine startups, because there's no starter sound, and no hesitation. The electric traction motor is a lot bigger than the typical starter motor, so starting the gasoline engine is a trivial task for it.

The main result is that there's no real transition, no separate start-up sound. One moment the engine's off, the next it's on. It's also worth noting that the Panemera cabin is a bit more soundproofed than most, so there's not a lot of engine noise unless you're pushing it.

Engine noise isn't typical Porsche anyway, since it's a tuborcharged V6 rather than a flat 6. Or in the case of the older S e Hybrid, a supercharged V6 (rather than turbocharged), but still a V6.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

thanks for the feedback, Gus!

sounds good, but still curious how it sounds in reality.

I screened the web but so far their was serious video available, which did record/show the start-up of the e-hybrid unfortunately...
Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try and take a video later of the sound. Like the car generally, it's a very grown up growl, versus the 911's unholy screaming! When the engine fires-up (not the electric on emode) you have this slightly distant but aggressive deep hum (which thankfully seems to get the wife quite excited! "Oh is that the engine..." why yes it is). It also makes a lovely bark on a change up (not AMG but better than S5), but without the sports exhaust, not the burble on change down (may need to invest in this later in the year). You will not be disappointed!

Took the car for a Sunday morning blast, including with launch control...

The 0-30 is in my view quicker than the 4S and maybe even the Turbo. It really hits you in the back. Past 30 it pulls through nicely (electric torque with each gear change!) but I think at this point the Turbo is just hitting it's stride.

The handling is fantastic - of course it's not a 911 but it's also not an S Class or 7 series. The turn-in is very direct with minimal/no lurching but you just can't carry as much speed in as a 911.

General comment on the brakes...the only negative here is that at some points you have to push harder than you would expect to. This is more noticeable from say a 30 mph to an abrupt stop. A countryside smash, it's not a light dab of the brakes like the 911 to shed 20mph before a turn but a more decisive push - and then the speed disappears in no time. At no point does it feel unsafe or uncontrollable but you need to be affirmative. So, just learn to drive it properly.

That electric torque though...it's not like a Tesla which has no "gears", you get full punch in each gear so as soon as you change up it's ready and waiting...
Old 07-10-2017, 05:10 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

thanks a lot AJ for your detailed review and thoughts, really appreciate that!

reads all very good, so hope that the potential delya mentioned in the other thread won´t materialize and I can do a reality test with mine still in August ;-)

what reading all these threads during my waiting time makes waiting a lot easier ;-)
Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hymo,
Are you located in the US? Have you recently had your SA run a Tracking Statement for your vehicle? If so, did you notice any significant change/delay?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:19 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

No, I´m living in Austria, Vienna!

Just asked my dealer last week and he confirmed that everything is on track!

actually, I don´t know how this tracking statement works!? Is it an Tracking-ID which you can check on a porsche website?

cheers, Hymo

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread