Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 AM
appenzell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njpanamera
Not directly from Germany, but I also contacted people higher up in the chain at PCNA and they were ultimately helpful in locating a loaner for me.
thats great! Hopeful we get our cars soon.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:28 AM
David Patel
Intermediate

Default Help With charging points

Hi guys

I've decided to swap my Panamera 2017 4S Diesel for a 4 E Hybrid. When I placed the order, the guy wasn't 100% on the ball with charging stuff and I'm getting confused. I would really appreciate help on any aspects of Government grants; I found an article that listed the Panamera 4 E Hybrid was listed for a grant but then with small print it says no as its over 60K.

On my order I have the following :

73H supply cable for 3pin 32a/230v industrial electrical blue outlet @ £0.00
EH2 vehicle cable length 7.5 m @ £0.00
NJ1 Porsche Charging Dock for the Porsche Universal Charger AC @ £260.00

I don't have a dedicated Fast Charging point outside my drive; I do have standard 13 am main power outlets, which i use for things like my Karcher power washer (when i am not lazy!).

Can anyone help me understand what i do and don't need.

I will definitely need to have the right cable in the car if i am driving somewhere far and want to stop and charge with public/service station etc.
I do want to have a fast charging point at my house
I will also need a charging point at my office

For those of you in the UK, who did you use for your electric charging point installer etc and was a grant availble and how do you go about claiming.
I will probably have another family member have an electric/hybrid - probably not porsche so need the flexibility.

Any pointers would really be helpful.

thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David - good move, I suspect the value of the diesels is not so good...

Make sure you get the onboard 7.2KW - effectively halves the charging time, although more relevant when away from home.

The 3 pin 32a is a very powerful feed and needs to come straight from the main fusebox, unless you have an abnormally strong feed to outside (I had a garage with 6 sockets and lights, which was insufficient). I have a great electrician and didn't bother with any grant stuff (didn't know there was any!). We just installed the Porsche box next to an outside socket which it then plugs into. You want to position it at the right height so that the box can fit over it (I didn't and it doesn't look so good). The cost of running the new cable for the 32A was going to be approaching £1k as the cable itself is very expensive. A standard plug charges the car in circa 6 hours which is fine for over night. You can install the wall box and then just plug it into the wall socket.

You don't need the charging dock - it is effectively a box that your charging cable and "pill" fit in to. That said - it looks super cool : ).

For away from home you need a Type 2 charger. I have one from Porsche which would have cost £300 but it is very heavy. Go online and get one that curls up on itself - I think this would have been a better solution. The reality is that you will not bother charging away from home that often. I have charged in central London a few times but if you are in Westminster it's about 50p to park the Hybrid for 4 hours. To charge and park is circa £4 PER hour, so the cost of charging doesn't stack-up. The National Trust has electric spaces and some other places - so handy to have just in case you can grab some free miles.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 PM
David Patel
Intermediate

Hi AJRiches

Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, i have had to accept an order for an existing in place car which didn't come with the 7.2KW charger. I guess i will have to live with overnight charging.
It also comes with the pretty box you mentioned which i guess will look nice. I won't get the £300 cable - i'll get that from online as per your advice.

I'm now investigating the charging point installer / options etc and will keep you posted.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 PM
David Patel
Intermediate

Hi to All UK 4E Hybrid Owners
I was wondering if anyone answered the previous questions about how to tell if UPDATES have been applied to a car and what all the latest ones are?

Is there some sort of version/screen information anyone can publish. I'm about to organise delivery of my new car, which i know has been with the dealer since late November in their showroom and they are miles from me so i want to know everything has been done so that i dont end up handing it in to a more nearer dealer after i get it and use it.

What else do i need to look out for ?

Davidh
Old 01-30-2018, 05:15 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Last update I know about was available circa 6 weeks ago - I think if you tell them you know there has been a software update and get them to confirm it has been applied. There may be a new one as apparently it changes the colour of the screen but I don't have this/haven't checked. The problem a lot have is that the computer thinks it needs an oil service within about 3 weeks but any update should prevent this.

Be prepared for winter range on the electric - it's pretty bad...especially if you use the warm-up function in the morning (best feature of the car though!).

Looking forward to pics.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:48 PM
appenzell
Track Day

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I think maybe you should send Lennon Stein another email and ask him why Simon is saying May soonest and see what Lennon's response is. I really hope Lennon is correct but I think Simon outranks him. I'm also concerned about accepting the car with almost a year since it was built. I will make my decision when I actually see the car and inspect the paint, tires, etc. Also I'll be very curious to see what the mileage indicator reads with a fully charged lithium ion battery. Hopefully it will indicate something around 30 miles. I recognize that won't be the actual mileage I get but If it is significantly less than 30 I will have to wonder if the battery has been damaged by sitting unattended for that long a period. Not sure what else I can do. It has the 50,000 mile warranty and I have documented all of my concerns with PCNA through repeated emails so hopefully if I accept it I will be protected. I have to do some research regarding the "lemon law" here in California to see if that offers any additional protection.
I emailed PCNA for a status update and got the following response back today (1/30/2018):

"According to my internal resources, certification for your Panamera 4 E-Hybrid is still expected in March.".
Old 01-30-2018, 06:03 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I placed my order for my Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Executive this morning. Very excited to have that behind me, now the waiting game. My Dealer is working on a build allocation date before they can give me an ETA delivery date. Probably May/June. With that said, my salesman said he expects delivery of another customer's E-Hybrid in March at which time I will be able to test drive before my order gets to a point of no return. Here is to March being a believable date. Best of luck to you all, your patience will pay off, I am sure.
Another side note: The salesman said that the first thing they do is check the firmware and make sure the computer is up to date. He also said that they will inspect the tires for any flat spots from sitting and they would possibly put a new set of tires on the car before delivery. That is promising.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM
rklann
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Pana TJ, that's an interesting comment. I did not think a dealer would let someone test drive a customer's new vechile. I will have to contact my sales rep to make sure he dosn't let someone test drive my e-hybrid before I get it. I ordered mine in August and it has been sitting in San Diego port for over three months! Can't wait to get delivery.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:27 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rklann, Good point....
I would hope and assume they get permission from the customer before allowing a test drive. If not, I would be surprised. Quite possibly this is not a customer ordered car but a dealer car and I misunderstood them.
Another note: When I was concluding my order, I was introduced to a Porsche NA representative who was visiting the shop. He said that he is currently using the Panamera E-Hybrid as a company car and he was over exuberant with how it drives and how it performs. He promises that I will not be disappointed as compared to the 4S that I test drove. All Good!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 PM
hueydumps
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default E-Hybrid in the US!

...at the DC auto show. Almost my exact color specs I ordered. Also interesting to see it had the sports exhaust that they had removed from my build by the factory for some unknown reason. The car looked great - hopefully we start to hear of cars moving soon. Mine is at the port in Davisport, RI and has been for a month.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM
PP4EH
Track Day

Alright guys so most of you are US members but i need some clarification on the on board charger thing.

So over here in Sweden we got 230V 10A household sockets..
As i understand on this socket it will charge fully in aprox 5.8h
If i use 230V 32A socket which is also possible here or there is also 400v 32a sockets then the time should be 3.6??
Now is that with or without the on board 7.2kw charger?

This is what porsche says in a press release:
The high-voltage battery takes just 5.8 hours to fully charge via a 230-V, 10-A connection. If the driver chooses to use the optional 7.2 kW on-board charger and a 230-V, 32-A connection instead of the standard 3.6-kW charger on the Panamera, the battery fully charges in just 3.6 hours.

Now when asking the dealer he said that the onboard charger is just for people that can't be bothered with brining the loose charger with them on the road.

He said nothing about it effecting your charging times.

So basically my question is..
1. Can i without the 7.2kw charger charge the car in 3.6h if i plug it into a 32A socket ?
2. If above is true then what is the point of the 7.2kw onboard charger?

Sorry for the nooby questions but this is my first hybrid

Regards
Old 02-07-2018, 11:32 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

To PP4EH:
I am not an expert on charging, but here is my opinion about your question.
The speed of charging depends on the interaction of multiple factors. The capacity of the onboard charger is one factor, and the power available from the wall is also a factor. My interpretation of the Porsche statement is that you need BOTH the bigger charger AND a 32 amp supply in order to achieve the quicker charge time. If you have one without the other, you will get a slower charge rate. Your dealer's comment was probably his opinion about when you would want faster charging, because for most people who simply charge overnight in the garage, either charge rate is enough. The bigger onboard charger allows you to take advantage of the higher power available from many public charging locations. It also allows you to take advantage of higher power that may be available in your garage. If speed is important to you anywhere, then you may want the bigger charger.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 AM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Just put in my order for an April build Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo

- Chalk
- Leather Interior in Black/Saddle Brown
- Premium Package Plus
- Sport Design Package
- Air Outlet Grilled Painted
- Brake Calipers in Black
- Sport Tailpipes in Black
- 21" SportDesign Wheels Painted in Jet Black Metallic
- All-Season Tires
- Ambient Lighting incl. Interior Lighting Package for Rear Compartment
- Storage Package
- Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows
- 120-volt Power Socket in Rear Luggage Compartment
- Dark Walnut Interior Package

Bummed about the brake calipers. The standard acid green only looks good on very few colors, of which Chalk is not one of them, so black is better

Wow, I can't believe it took me over 2 months to actually get an allocation, and only after switching dealers. But I got one now! Late April build, estimated delivery date first week of July. Hope CARB issues will have long been resolved by the time my car's ready to be picked up. Vehicle fixed date is 4/13, so....

1. Still contemplating the tinted taillights
2. Why the heck does the jet black and HG black SportDesign wheels have to have a chrome ring? The body color and Satin Platinum versions of the wheel don't! I'd just sooner have it be all black.
3. Acid green calipers clash with the chalk, and black calipers are boring. Please somebody tell me I can get the red calipers from the 4S, pleeeeeeease!
4. Model designation painted? HG black? or body color?

I got 2 months. I can guarantee my thoughts on these (as well as other choices I made) will evolve, lol.

Oh and for those of you with an order in but no allocation? Press your dealer for it. Aggressively! Apparently demand is quite a bit higher than the available allocations.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:22 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Wow, I can't believe it took me over 2 months to actually get an allocation, and only after switching dealers. But I got one now! Late April build, estimated delivery date first week of July. Hope CARB issues will have long been resolved by the time my car's ready to be picked up. Vehicle fixed date is 4/13, so....

1. Still contemplating the tinted taillights
2. Why the heck does the jet black and HG black SportDesign wheels have to have a chrome ring? The body color and Satin Platinum versions of the wheel don't! I'd just sooner have it be all black.
3. Acid green calipers clash with the chalk, and black calipers are boring. Please somebody tell me I can get the red calipers from the 4S, pleeeeeeease!
4. Model designation painted? HG black? or body color?

I got 2 months. I can guarantee my thoughts on these (as well as other choices I made) will evolve, lol.

Oh and for those of you with an order in but no allocation? Press your dealer for it. Aggressively! Apparently demand is quite a bit higher than the available allocations.
4S has silver calipers. As of now, only Turbo has red calipers.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread