Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

When you are in Sport mode the electric continues to contribute power to the driving experience, correct? In E-Charge mode, I'm assuming the electric is completely off and only the gas engine is operating and also charging, correct? I hear what you are saying about driving a very heavy car with an underpowered engine, but you still have 330 HP which is the same as the base Panamera, so for cruising on the motorway at higher speeds shouldn't really be a problem, right??
Old 09-13-2017, 04:31 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right - long distance with cruise on it's not a big issue but if you are planning to use Sport anyway during any part of the journey, I would prefer to charge then than reduce economy on the motorway. It's "fun" to play with the different settings - not quite 911, young, free and single fun - but a kind of fun...
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

after another 2 weeks in the car, a view comments from my recent experiences:

drive-mode:
coming back to your question, Saratoga: as most of my rides are done around the city with distances of 30 - 60km, i usually used E-Power or E-Hybrid. to be honest, I did not really experience a huge difference between both driving modes. both are primarily using electric drive, unless you push the pedal too hard, then both are switching to the petrol engine.

what I don´t like is that when generally going in E-mode and pushing the pedal once if for example you want to overtake, then the car usually takes some time to switch back to the E-mode - also here, no difference realized between E-Drive and E-Power.

generally, for the time-being I really like it to go electric, currently having an overall consumption of 6,4l per 100KM, as I go roughly 1/2 of my rides in electric, currently having not too many long distance rides.

Electric Range:
as this was discussed somewhere before: from what I´ve experienced, realistic range of driving fully electric is at average 40KM i would say. If you push it harder, maybe 36, if you go more smoothly, I also managed 46KM once. But still happy with arg 40KM I have to say!

Sports exhaust:
as said before already, this now (after 2.000KM) sounds much better then at the beginning. Always thought it is more ay myth, that the car is getting to sound better after a while, but here it is really a fact!

nevertheless, if you want to ride the car a little more sporty I still think it could afford a little bit more sound still, especially the "bubbling" when the revs are going down could be better, here I know from the 911 or Audi RS, that there can be way more. Curious if there will be an aftermarket adjustment kit of the original Porsche Sports Exhaust available soon!?

Bose Sound System:
I also usually take care that my cars do have an adequate sound system and of course the Burmester might be top, but: for me personally the Bose system is more than enough, I´m happy with my decision to spend the saved 5K into other extras, like:

Soft Close doors: only added after getting a hint from my dealer: don´t want to miss it, same as:

Comfort entry system: a must for me in a car of this class

One last comment on the GTechniq Ceramic coating (Silver): here I´m quite disappointed, as I did expect that the dirt coming on rainy days would not stay that much on the paint if the car is fully coated. the company who fixed it on my car told me that they would recommend to go not too often to the automatic car wash stations. but also the the high pressure cleaner boxes we have at every petrol station are not strong enough to wipe away the dirt from the rain. Honestly, I could have saved these 500 EUR for this coating.

All in all, I´m very happy with the car so far!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:54 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hymo1200
after another 2 weeks in the car, a view comments from my recent experiences:

drive-mode:
coming back to your question, Saratoga: as most of my rides are done around the city with distances of 30 - 60km, i usually used E-Power or E-Hybrid. to be honest, I did not really experience a huge difference between both driving modes. both are primarily using electric drive, unless you push the pedal too hard, then both are switching to the petrol engine.

what I don´t like is that when generally going in E-mode and pushing the pedal once if for example you want to overtake, then the car usually takes some time to switch back to the E-mode - also here, no difference realized between E-Drive and E-Power.

generally, for the time-being I really like it to go electric, currently having an overall consumption of 6,4l per 100KM, as I go roughly 1/2 of my rides in electric, currently having not too many long distance rides.

Electric Range:
as this was discussed somewhere before: from what I´ve experienced, realistic range of driving fully electric is at average 40KM i would say. If you push it harder, maybe 36, if you go more smoothly, I also managed 46KM once. But still happy with arg 40KM I have to say!

Sports exhaust:
as said before already, this now (after 2.000KM) sounds much better then at the beginning. Always thought it is more ay myth, that the car is getting to sound better after a while, but here it is really a fact!

nevertheless, if you want to ride the car a little more sporty I still think it could afford a little bit more sound still, especially the "bubbling" when the revs are going down could be better, here I know from the 911 or Audi RS, that there can be way more. Curious if there will be an aftermarket adjustment kit of the original Porsche Sports Exhaust available soon!?

Bose Sound System:
I also usually take care that my cars do have an adequate sound system and of course the Burmester might be top, but: for me personally the Bose system is more than enough, I´m happy with my decision to spend the saved 5K into other extras, like:

Soft Close doors: only added after getting a hint from my dealer: don´t want to miss it, same as:

Comfort entry system: a must for me in a car of this class

One last comment on the GTechniq Ceramic coating (Silver): here I´m quite disappointed, as I did expect that the dirt coming on rainy days would not stay that much on the paint if the car is fully coated. the company who fixed it on my car told me that they would recommend to go not too often to the automatic car wash stations. but also the the high pressure cleaner boxes we have at every petrol station are not strong enough to wipe away the dirt from the rain. Honestly, I could have saved these 500 EUR for this coating.

All in all, I´m very happy with the car so far!
Hi Hymo,
thanks for posting your thoughts. I find that hybrid-auto mode switches to the petrol engine with less of a throttle press than in e-power mode.

if the engine is not warm then the petrol engine will not switch back to electric power until the petrol engine is warm. I'm guessing this is a safety thing to ensure the oil in the petrol engine is up to temp and you're not turning a cold combustion engine off and on again.

I appreciate your comments on the g-tech coating. glad I gave it a miss now! I'm more than happy to wash, polish and wax the car when required to keep it clean and shiny.

glad you're happy with the car! it is awesome.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:08 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Hymo,
Thank you very much for all the pertinent information. Excellent write-up!! The G-Techniq Ceramic coating and various others here in the U.S. are very expensive. My son is giving me an acrylic coating called Cilajet as a new car present but I was thinking of maybe going with the Ceramic but now given your comments I will just get the Cilajet for free.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:26 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Thor - have you noticed a more rapid de-charging since the weather change? May be a fault, will monitor over the next couple of weeks.

I also still have the "Inspection Required" warning every time - it's getting a little tiring now...
Old 09-18-2017, 05:35 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Thor - have you noticed a more rapid de-charging since the weather change? May be a fault, will monitor over the next couple of weeks.

I also still have the "Inspection Required" warning every time - it's getting a little tiring now...
yep. definitely noticed a lower range now it's getting colder and, i presume, it's only going to get worse!

i also have the "Inspection Required" warning and have not heard anything about a fix. think i'll chase it up...
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Something to monitor and compare - last week I was shedding about 4 miles of projected range per travelled mile - does not seem right but we shall see.

Not impressed that they have not fixed this yet - it's pretty shoddy for such a high end product.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:21 PM
thorfun
Racer

Something to monitor and compare - last week I was shedding about 4 miles of projected range per travelled mile - does not seem right but we shall see.
That does seem excessive. Mine's dropped about 2 or 3 miles in total. You're right to keep an eye on it.

Not impressed that they have not fixed this yet - it's pretty shoddy for such a high end product.
Agreed.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Hymo,
Your range sounds pretty good. I need about 24 miles (~38 KM) to go back and forth to my club so hopefully will be able to do it on electric only.

AJ/Thorfun,
Interesting to hear you are experiencing lower range due to colder weather. I guess that is to be expected as most batteries do lose power in colder temps. I'm wondering if AJ's massage seats are depleting his battery at all or does the internal functions run off a separate battery?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:02 AM
thorfun
Racer

I had a response from my dealer about the "Inspection Required" notification. I was told that a temporary fix has been issued but my dealer didn't let me know as the notification will come back again and so he was waiting for a permanent fix. When i asked how long before it reappears i was told about a year!
So i have booked my car in to have the temporary fix done and then that'll give Porsche a year or so to produce the permanent fix. I'm also having a few other minor issues looked at while it's in.
So, if you've got the "Inspection Required" notice then i would suggest speaking to your dealer.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:29 AM
ajriches01
Racer

OK, that is ridiculous to say a year! Will put on some pressure. If the temporary fix is what they did before, it lasted 2 weeks or so for me.

Can you say what minor issues you are having looked at? Can consider if any of them have happened to me also.

Pre-heat kills the battery so that is part of it.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:57 AM
thorfun
Racer

OK, that is ridiculous to say a year! Will put on some pressure. If the temporary fix is what they did before, it lasted 2 weeks or so for me.

Can you say what minor issues you are having looked at? Can consider if any of them have happened to me also.

Pre-heat kills the battery so that is part of it.
I am assuming that the temporary fix is different to what they did for me last time as, i believe, that was just a reset of the notification which is why it reappeared shortly afterwards. I don't know what the temp fix is but even if it lasts 3 months then that still gives them 3 months to develop a fix and 3 months where i don't have to ignore a warning message!

my other small issues are:

1. The sim card occasionally says “Sim card removed” and on-line features and wifi hotspot then stop working and then shortly afterwards “Sim card inserted” again and things come back online. It’s a brief hiccup but a hiccup none the less and it’s happened on quite a few times since I first put the sim card in.
2. The electric charger flap sticks closed sometimes and also doesn’t close easily on others making it hard to open and close.
3. There have been a few occasions (that we’ve noticed at least) when the screen in the back doesn’t boot up and so the rear passengers are unable to make use of it or its functions.
4. I have noticed on some roads that the Porsche Innodrive gets the speed wrong! E.g. I was driving along the road that goes past Walton Heath golf club and it’s a 40 mph limit and PID decided that it was a 30 mph limit and slowed me down. I overrode it but then a little further down the road it did it again.

like i said, nothing major but while the car is in the workshop i've asked them to take a look. It's not going in until mid october though as they don't have any loan cars available until then. again, i've no problem with this as there's nothing majorly wrong and i prefer to have a loan car rather than not.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Agree - if it is different and lasts months not days then I am keen.

I have not had those kind of issues (do not have Inno) so sorry that you have! One would expect better!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

maybe it´s a stupid question, but couldn´t figure it out elsewhere: does the new Panamera have a wireless charging option/pad in the middle console somewhere?

I´m asking because I´m considering buying the iPhone 8 which is capable of this charging method. My previous Audi Q7 had this in the middle console, so I was wondering if the Panamera has it as well?

cheers, Hymo

PS: regarding the recent discussion about E-Range: got the same decreases of average range due to lower-temperatures (going down from avg 23 to 13 Celcius recently), now having an E-Range of "onlly 30 - 36 KM max. So the up to 45 KM seem to be only under best circumstances, i.e. outside temperatures ranging between 20 - 28 degrees Celsius

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread