Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:37 PM
soCali
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much is it for the coat? I think it would be very useful on mine, whenever I do get it because of the sapphire blue color.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys, did digest the problem with the tank door already and really enjoy the car.

reg. the exhaust: my little disappointment about the rather low appearance of the sound did disappear a little bit. Surprisingly it seems to be really true that after 1.000KM roughly the system seems to work/sound much better then at the beginning. So driving in Sport/Sport+ mode now, if you give the engine some revs, the sound is already better. Still far away from my Lotus Evora before, so still room for aftermarket products I´m sure. Might talk to my previous Lotus dealer who is specialized on high-quality exhaust systems and did do Porsches as well, maybe he has some solutions for a better sound. Optic itself I really like from the orig. Sport exhaust option (mine being black).

Reg. E-Drive range: this currently variates between 40 - 43 KM, with temperatures outside of 20 - 28 degrees, which should be close to the optimum! So I don´t believe that it will go much above 45 KM max. in reality!

have a good weekend!
Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

So good news and bad news. Good news is my 2018 Panamera 4 e-Huybrid left Emden on August 16th aboard the NOCC Atlantic which is now just off the coast of Cuba on its way to the Panama Canal (supposed to arrive there on 9/4). Assuming another 10 days to get to San Diego means it gets there around mid month September. Bad News - My current Tracking Statement shows it arriving a the Dealership by month end but my Dealer says that isn't going to happen due to the EPA/CARB issue. That means it will be sitting in San Diego Port for a while most likely exposed to the salt air. I have arranged through my son to have the car fully detailed inside and out using Cilajet products including a complete clay bar treatment prior to applying the acrylic coating so hopefully that will mitigate the impact of the salt air exposure. No telling when I will actually receive the car???
Old 09-03-2017, 03:34 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thorfun
on the weekends i have a petrol engine for fun.
Batteries are fun, too, once you have enough on board.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:44 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is in the same boat but mine's a 4s. I hope mine doesn't get held up at the port.

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
So good news and bad news. Good news is my 2018 Panamera 4 e-Huybrid left Emden on August 16th aboard the NOCC Atlantic which is now just off the coast of Cuba on its way to the Panama Canal (supposed to arrive there on 9/4). Assuming another 10 days to get to San Diego means it gets there around mid month September. Bad News - My current Tracking Statement shows it arriving a the Dealership by month end but my Dealer says that isn't going to happen due to the EPA/CARB issue. That means it will be sitting in San Diego Port for a while most likely exposed to the salt air. I have arranged through my son to have the car fully detailed inside and out using Cilajet products including a complete clay bar treatment prior to applying the acrylic coating so hopefully that will mitigate the impact of the salt air exposure. No telling when I will actually receive the car???
Old 09-03-2017, 04:58 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

You should be okay as I believe the Panamera 4s vehicles are already EPA/CARB certified. I may be wrong but I think that is the case. Since it is essentially the same car as the 2017 I don't think it will require a new certification. They didn't import any 2017 Panamera E-Hybrid cars so that is why the 2018 models are being held up. Same thing for the Panamera Tourismo cars as they are also a brand new model.
Thankfully our ship got out of the way of Hurricane Irma - if it had left two days later we would have had other problems!!
Old 09-04-2017, 04:39 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Loving the car Hymo - but then I would say that as they are near identical! You've even almost sold me on the calipers - maybe I was too conservative with my build!

Mine still has the "Inspection Necessary" fault which I am told is simply software but is annoying having to clear each time on start-up. Over the last 3,000 kms I have been surprised of the sound of the standard exhaust - it warbles quite nicely when the revs drop but really need to drive one with the Sports Exhaust...
Old 09-07-2017, 06:59 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Great to see the pics Thor! You and I both had a cracking evening last night collecting our vehicles. See below collection from last night. Some average pics for now I'm afraid.

My initial impressions on driving after 30 miles of traffic out of London and a blast on M40? Wafting around London in E-Power mode is a real delight. The car is sharp off the lights, add this to massaging seats and ionised air and any gridlocked road is transformed into an oasis

Turn the dial to sport and a slightly menacing background noise comes alive. Nothing like the 911 but think RS5 territory. This is without the Sports Exhaust as it was not available on order and is something I will consider over the coming months (but can think of better ways of spending £3k). When you put your foot down then...the electric punches you first - bam - and then the petrol keeps pulling you through. That electric "bam" (no other way to describe) stays with you at most speeds but is definitely more noticeable from 0-60. Only spent 10 minutes on the motorway so do not have enough information to say much more. Of course it is not a Turbo, the torque curve there is from start to finish, but 0-40 ish I think it could at least keep up with a Turbo and after that it still fees satisfyingly rapid.

Handling? Only one B road last night but so far WOW. No different to the Turbo last week on an initial impression - low slung, beautifully weighted and not one hint of lurching. Slot into manual and you can really enjoy all it has to offer - bam electric, pop of exhaust, new gear, bam electric. Addictive stuff to work out how to get the most out of this new tech.

Brakes? The big question. Once when nailing it in town (of course under 30mph) and needing to slow quickly, the peddle required more pressure than I was expecting (used to the 911 though). But after that, nothing at all noticeable and in fairness, I suspect that was the FIRST TIME the brakes had actually been used. Bombing along the B road felt confident and sharp on the brakes. BUT that was day one, and will report back in a few days once I have had more time with her.

Other comments - Bose is great, massaging seats, Alcantara, Adaptive cruise (traffic jams now more relaxing) and 4 zone climate are musts. The rear seat entertainment is a stunning solution, with the bluetooth Porsche headphones fitting in the rear central arm rest (just!) - really smart.

So far a happy man, save for the fact I am sat at my desk with the Panamera 30 miles away. Please ask any questions and will update as and when. Looking forward to Thor's pics of France!
What color is this? Fantastic! and what color are the brake calipers?
Old 09-08-2017, 04:17 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Volcano Grey with the black calipers (I was not brave enough to get the acid green). Glad you like it, I am a big fan!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:45 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

So I have a few questions for Thorfun, AJ, and Hymo:
1. What mode do you leave the car in for general driving and why?
2. How comfortable are the seats? I ordered the Premium Package Plus with 14 way adjustable and all leather, and wondering if the front seats are really comfortable for a long drive? Also, how are the back seats?
3. I ordered the 4 Zone Climate Control for the finished look, but I'm wondering what the rear passengers can actually see (if anything) beyond the vent controls? Can they watch the navigation from that screen and see the speed you are traveling (better if my wife can't see that when she is in the back)?

My car is supposed to arrive in San Diego on 9/14 and current Tracking Statement shows Dealer Delivery by end of month, but nobody really believes that is going to happen. Waiting is hard!!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. What mode do you leave the car in for general driving and why?
1. this depends on the journey i'm making and my potential journeys for that day! if it's a short journey around town and i know that it'll be my only journey then i'll just leave it in E-Power mode. I also use E-Power mode to commute to the station as i know that i can charge my car up there while i'm in the City for work. If the journey is a medium to long distance then i tend to just put it in Hybrid-Auto mode and let the car decide the best method to use. Be aware though that if you're going into an area and you know you want to use electric power if at any point prior on the journey you've used the combustion engine then it won't switch to e-power until the engine is up to a certain temperature. i don't know what the temp is but i do know that even if you're stationary the petrol engine keeps running until it's up to temp. This has caught me out before so if i'm going to come across this situation then i'll either leave it in E-Power mode and ensure the petrol engine doesn't come on or make sure that the engine is warm enough before i hit town.

2. How comfortable are the seats? I ordered the Premium Package Plus with 14 way adjustable and all leather, and wondering if the front seats are really comfortable for a long drive? Also, how are the back seats?
I find them very comfortable. i only have the 14-way seats as well and didn't go for the more expensive sports seats. I do move about a bit in the seats when throwing it around corners but then i recently did my Porsche Experience Day and the Panamera i drove there had the sports seats and i also moving around a bit! i do like the "wings" on the sports seats but couldn't justify the extra cost.

The only thing i'd say is that i was stuck in traffic on the motorway on a long journey and I kind of wished I'd gone for the massage seats. but even without that i find them very comfortable.

I believe the back seats are the same as the front seats in mine, just without the adjustability. not sure though as i don't sit in the back.

3. I ordered the 4 Zone Climate Control for the finished look, but I'm wondering what the rear passengers can actually see (if anything) beyond the vent controls? Can they watch the navigation from that screen and see the speed you are traveling (better if my wife can't see that when she is in the back)?
They can see the navigation but not the map. so they see that there's a turning coming up or in 3.2 miles we're coming off the motorway etc.
They can see what music is playing and have basic controls over selecting tracks.
They can control their individual climate and seat heating settings.
They definitely can't see the speed but if you have the rear entertainment system then i believe that gives a lot more information of the car and how it's performing as well as being able to watch films etc.
Beyond that i don't actually know! i've never sat in the back and I'm only going on what my kids have told me.

My car is supposed to arrive in San Diego on 9/14 and current Tracking Statement shows Dealer Delivery by end of month, but nobody really believes that is going to happen. Waiting is hard!!
I fully understand what you're going through! All i can say is it's worth the wait.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Thor has said it all, not much to add:

1. Sport mode is very good at charging the engine - so you have the pleasure of the acceleration + noise and you can watch the battery charging - best of all worlds! This is much better than e-Charge mode which seems to more or less turn off the use of electric - left with a heavy underpowered car. So often - ePower to the Motorway, E Hybrid on the motorway then Sport mode for the last few miles.

2. Seats are great. I have the massage option and love it. Driven 4,000 miles now and find them very comfortable. The back...the one time my wife decided to drive - wow - it's a limo back there! very comfortable, bright and open space.

3. The screen looks very cool but could be improved. Little things like you can start and stop navigation but not put in the destination. You can alter the volume but you need a PHD to work out how (and if you do, it somehow disconnects the volume control generally). The rear seat entertainment however is really something - no complaints - it works well and looks good but yes, your wife could tell you how many Gs you're pulling!!

Hope it arrives soon, we have all been through a degree of pain and hope yours is not prolonged. Come for a drive if you find yourself in the UK!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Great information!! Thank you very much. It's good to know my wife won't be able to see the speed when in the back seat. I didn't get the rear entertainment system and also didn't get the massage seats as I was nervous that would be another thing that would eventually be a problem.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Thor has said it all, not much to add:

1. Sport mode is very good at charging the engine - so you have the pleasure of the acceleration + noise and you can watch the battery charging - best of all worlds! This is much better than e-Charge mode which seems to more or less turn off the use of electric - left with a heavy underpowered car. So often - ePower to the Motorway, E Hybrid on the motorway then Sport mode for the last few miles.

2. Seats are great. I have the massage option and love it. Driven 4,000 miles now and find them very comfortable. The back...the one time my wife decided to drive - wow - it's a limo back there! very comfortable, bright and open space.

3. The screen looks very cool but could be improved. Little things like you can start and stop navigation but not put in the destination. You can alter the volume but you need a PHD to work out how (and if you do, it somehow disconnects the volume control generally). The rear seat entertainment however is really something - no complaints - it works well and looks good but yes, your wife could tell you how many Gs you're pulling!!

Hope it arrives soon, we have all been through a degree of pain and hope yours is not prolonged. Come for a drive if you find yourself in the UK!
are you sure you can't select the destination from the back? i have been driving before and suddenly the satnav has been started with a destination by my girls in the back. maybe the rear passengers can only select a recent destination?

good call on the e-charge mode. seems to be quite inefficient. i might have to try the "put it in sport mode" idea. if nothing else it'll make the drive fun.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM
ajriches01
Racer

As far as I know, you can just restart the last destination. If you find more functionality hidden let me know!

With Sport Mode, I have found that about 5 miles of driving (not super aggressively) gets you about 2 miles of electric range. Try it out on your way home and report

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread