Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Share your impressions of the 2017/2018 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 AM
jezzaa
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Talking about the sport exhaust for the base engine, wonder when it'll become available?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good insight. I agree with the screen, too complicated. I'm sure they will resolve that in the updated Panamera in a few years. Better yet, they should release a software update haha.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 PM
yurigagarin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents on the new panamera.

I have the turbo 2017, had a gas 2015. I love the drive look and feel.

Next time i purchase:
1. i would order a turbo again but this time with no options
2. i only use the radio, i have no idea how to use the other stuff i bought.
i am sure in 2 years all those options i paid too much for and will not ever use will be available as standard equipment on a Kia
3. my dogs love to push the dashboard while i drive, i guess someone has use for it.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:44 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

+1 on just using the radio and on speccing fewer options if I bought another one!

I think that the car would still be great without air, rear axle steering and Sport Chrono.

Great car though and I too am really pleased with my 2017 Panamera. :-)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
If it's like the '17 PCM, no, there's just advance forward with the diamond button. You can use the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel when you have the MFT showing the stations. I do miss <> as buttons from other vehicles.
I had a chance to sit in two of them last night. Porsche Rockville hosted an event at Denizens Brew Pub. I noticed the steering wheel has several new buttons. Including +-, back/fwd, mute and the diamond has moved to the right side.

What other models have gotten this new wheel style? It looks like the metal of the wheel is the same, just that the button assemblies now take up more of the space in the spokes.
Attached Images  

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-01-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

From memory, my 2016 Macan had a very similar steering wheel, minus the new driving mode selector.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:48 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
From memory, my 2016 Macan had a very similar steering wheel, minus the new driving mode selector.
Similar, but not the same inside the left/right spokes. This is the one in my '17 GTS. I've likewise seen a similarly style Cayman and 911 wheel, with the addition of the driving mode selectors. It appears the '18 Panamera has yet another style of wheel buttons.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

New 911 is similar - but not exactly the same as the Panamera
Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Similar, but not the same inside the left/right spokes. This is the one in my '17 GTS. I've likewise seen a similarly style Cayman and 911 wheel, with the addition of the driving mode selectors. It appears the '18 Panamera has yet another style of wheel buttons.

What car is that steering wheel from? Not a Macan?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

What car is that steering wheel from? Not a Macan?
That's from my '17 Cayenne GTS (with the same PCM 4 as the Macan and some recent 911 models).

I think there's at least four variations of this wheel now. The Cayenne/Macan/970 Panamera, Cayman/911, GT3 and now the new 917 Panamera. Most of them seem to be using the same silver metal frame, with the GT3 being black instead. It's the inner section that changes between the ones with the silver. That and there's probably a different LIN bus harness in the wheel (but probably all the same in the column).

I wouldn't mind having better media controls on my 958.2. No doubt a retrofit would be stupid expensive.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM
XTC
Intermediate

I have a 2017 Turbo pretty well optioned. Overall I do like the car very much, though I have some of the same issues others have mentioned.

The car definitely drives and performs better than the outgoing model (previously had a 2014 turbo), and has better functionality as well. I'm still somewhat undecided on which body style I like better overall, but I think the new rear styling is an improvement.

The main things I'm not thrilled with revolve around the electronics. Not sure if it is common with everyone, but in my car it seems to take an age for the central touch screen to "boot up." All I see for the first couple minutes after starting the car are the spinning icons on the home screen for all of the widgets. Until it's finished loading, I can't enter a nav destination or change any settings.

I've also had the same issues others reported with the navigation. I'll be driving along and everything is working great, then all of the sudden the nav thinks I'm off in a field somewhere and it takes several miles for it to figure out where I really am. I'm sure this will be fixed in an update at some point though.

I do like the look of the new console buttons (very clean and modern looking), but when the sun is shining at the right angle, the reflection off the surface prevents you from seeing what each one is unless you lean over the top of the console. Overall, I think I like the previous design for that reason even though it was a bit cluttered looking.

One feature I didn't order, that I now wish I had, was the auto closing doors. I love that the doors are so tight and close so solidly, but I can't count how many times I have had to reopen and close my door after getting in because I didn't slam it hard enough.

Many thanks to the previous poster who mentioned setting up the individual settings with the auto stop feature turned off. The 14 turbo I had stayed the way you left it, but the new one doesn't. This is much quicker than waiting for the screen to boot up to turn that off and turn the sport exhaust on. Very cool. I guess I really should get around to reading the manual
Old 06-07-2017, 03:46 PM
AJRDU
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a side note today, I noticed that the "coasting" feature is tied to the Auto Start/Stop system. If the Auto start/stop is turned off, then the car won't coast along with the transmission automatically disengaged. I hate the Auto Start/stop system, but think letting the engine drop to idle when power isn't needed is a good idea. oh well.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Yes, that is correct. I too find the auto stop/start thing a complete pain, but I can see the benefit of the coasting feature. Consequently, I tend to turn off the auto stop/start when in town (via the diamond button or by selecting Sport mode) and turn it on again if cruising in a relaxed fashion on a motorway or dual carriageway etc.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that is correct. I too find the auto stop/start thing a complete pain, but I can see the benefit of the coasting feature. Consequently, I tend to turn off the auto stop/start when in town (via the diamond button or by selecting Sport mode) and turn it on again if cruising in a relaxed fashion on a motorway or dual carriageway etc.
should've bought a hybrid. then start/stop isn't an issue as you can still move without the V6 running.

(although, if you had bought a hybrid you wouldn't have it yet and would be sitting at home waiting for your car to leave the factory )

Last edited by thorfun; 06-07-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-07-2017, 04:13 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XTC
One feature I didn't order, that I now wish I had, was the auto closing doors. I love that the doors are so tight and close so solidly, but I can't count how many times I have had to reopen and close my door after getting in because I didn't slam it hard enough.
I felt that way too with my '17 GTS. The last door closed did take some extra push initially. Now a few months later I'm either used to the effort necessary or the weatherstripping has gotten broken in enough to allow for closing without issue.

Auto stop not being remembered is apparently a 'feature' brought to us thanks to automotive policies. I despise it and have found it terribly unsafe on more than one occasion.

Quick Reply: Share your impressions of the 2017/2018 Panamera