Panamera 2010-Current

Share your impressions of the 2017/2018 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Share your impressions of the 2017/2018 Panamera

Thought I would start a string to share experiences with the new Panamera - what works, what doesn't and how does the new Panamera compare to your other/previous rides.

2017 Panamera Turbo with Sport Package and 21 inch Turbo Wheels
Spent about a week with the new Panamera - and overall very impressed with ride and interfaces. A few glitches or things that get noticed:
1) Fingerprints - if you are OCD you will need to regularly wipe the screen and console
2) The clock/stopwatch seems to be more prominent than I would have expected and stands taller than it does on the 911
3) I use google maps in 3 D as my default, and occasionally the system can't find the google view and defaults to a regular map
4) I miss voice control without having to use Siri
5) I found that the SA/dealers are still getting familiar with the cars and not aware of all of the features - e.g. there is a "lift" function under drive that is great for parking lots or steep inclines
6) I wish that there were more leather options (e.g. dashboard and doors) for the early release cars

The Panamera is my daily driver - and it replaces my 2015 S65. Compared to the S65 I find the seats, driver position and handling much more to my liking. I love the large trunk area in the Panamera - the trunk was probably the biggest single biggest limitation in the S65 (the trunk size was reduced by Burmester Surround sound and reclining rear seats. While the Panamera is fast, nothing compares to the smoothness of a Mercedes handbuilt biturbo V12.

My weekend car is a 2017 911 C4S. The 991 is a much more personal car - more in contact with the driver and much more intimate. It brings a "bigger smile" when you drive and the advantage of ordering when the car is in it "refresh" phase (991.2) it fixes many of the little things that need improvement (I had a 2015 991 C4S cab)

Finally thought I would share some options worth considering on a Panamera (beyond the obvious like sport package):
1) Thermal and noise glass package
2) Illuminated sills
3) Leather surround on steering column and lower dash (they come with contrast stitching)

Hope this string takes off and helps others thinking about purchasing a new Panamera!!

Cheers
Jack
Old 05-08-2017, 11:19 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Saw one this weekend, and another earlier this week. Love it. Can't wait to see the Sport Tourismo wagon later this year (hopefully). Can't say I much like it in white, but silver looked great.

One immediate complaint, though. Who dug into the VAG parts bin and found that CHEAP-***-LOOKING plastic cover for the CD changer in the upper right-hand side of the trunk? Jeebus, what a crappy looking piece of junk. Think back to Maserati and Ferrari using Fiat switchgear. It's THAT chintzy-looking.

Really Porsche? THIS is what you put in plain view every time someone opens the trunk?

Although, a decade or two from now I can just imagine some Panamera enthusiast being thrilled to discover a stash of them based on their equivalent from VW Atlas part numbers.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan Lord
2) Illuminated sills
If you use weathertech mats, though, you'll never see them.

I like logo projector lamps from under the doors instead. Yeah, not for everybody but folks notice it more than the sills.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:41 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Deal killer

I am very disappointed in the interior. I was considering trading in my GTS on a new one, but I lost my enthusiasm when I actually sat in a new one.
The new exterior is great....
Old 05-09-2017, 04:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jeff
I am very disappointed in the interior. I was considering trading in my GTS on a new one, but I lost my enthusiasm when I actually sat in a new one.
What missed the mark?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The new exterior is great....
I sat in a new one at a dealer and felt exactly the same way.

I really like sitting in the back seat of my '13 GTS, the seats are very comfortable and there's lots of leg room. I tried the '17 model's non-adjustable back seat (like mine) and found the seats were tilted back a bit (I assume for headroom with the new roof line) and I didn't like them at all. Another person looking at the car had the same opinion about the seats.

And don't get me started on the clock...
Old 05-09-2017, 05:06 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Interior issues

Besides being a fingerprint magnet...touch screen type switches require you to look at them to operate. Actual buttons (like in the 970) work fine by "feel".
Progress isn't always linear....
Old 05-10-2017, 12:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Besides being a fingerprint magnet...touch screen type switches require you to look at them to operate. Actual buttons (like in the 970) work fine by "feel".
Which fails when all of them are in such close proximity. And/or have a general lack of tactile or auditory feedback.

I'm all for 'real buttons' but that's hardly the case with the pre-touch design.

I own a '17 Cayenne, which arguably has all the same buttons as the outgoing Panamera. I don't see the change in buttons being used in new Panamera as being that far removed from the current button arrangements. This is not to say either one of them is ideal. But from my short test I didn't find the new layout to be different enough to complain about, at least not from the 'real button' angle.

If anything the move to using them might have the potential to widen the purchasing audience to families of younger children. If there was ONE thing I disliked about the old design was all those buttons squarely placed where kids shoes, soccer cleats, whatever, would likely break them. There's always going to be that risk, and the Panamera is probably not being targeted at that demographic anyway, but I'll say the old design took it right off my selection list, as I'm IN that demographic. The Cayenne, at least, put the buttons up out of immediate harm's way. Little thing, to be sure, but one that mattered to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the wagon lays it all out...
Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
I sat in a new one at a dealer and felt exactly the same way.

I really like sitting in the back seat of my '13 GTS, the seats are very comfortable and there's lots of leg room. I tried the '17 model's non-adjustable back seat (like mine) and found the seats were tilted back a bit (I assume for headroom with the new roof line) and I didn't like them at all. Another person looking at the car had the same opinion about the seats.

And don't get me started on the clock...
I spent little time in the rear seats of the previous model, but it seemed like the seat bottom was wider/flatter in the new one. This would seem like an improvement for the most part. I didn't find the seatback angle to be a problem. The same opinion was shared by another Panamera owner when we were both checking out the new one on the dealer floor.

What was with the clock?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I spent little time in the rear seats of the previous model, but it seemed like the seat bottom was wider/flatter in the new one. This would seem like an improvement for the most part. I didn't find the seatback angle to be a problem. The same opinion was shared by another Panamera owner when we were both checking out the new one on the dealer floor.

What was with the clock?
It wasn't the seatback angle that was uncomfortable, it was the seat bottom that was tilted back that didn't feel good on the legs.

The clock sticking out as it does just seems out of place.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:17 PM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand these negatives at all! I absolutely loved the car. it's comfortable and modern. the touchscreen and haptic buttons are awesome and very up-to-date. yes, they leave fingerprints but so do all my other touchscreen devices so it's no big deal these days.
I drove the old version and liked it a lot and then I borrowed a 2017 for a weekend test drive and it was so much better! i found it a nicer place to be but then i love technology and the touchscreen, TFT screen dials and centre console are right up my alley. So much nicer than the clutter of the buttons on the old model.
I had no complaints at all so i ordered one and I'm just waiting for it to be built and then delivered. Then i can give some comments on living with it as a daily driver.
I get that everyone has their own opinion but I just don't agree with the negative comments, but then i never plan to sit in the back of mine....i plan to be upfront with my foot to the floor (whilst observing the speed limits obviously!!) :-D
Old 05-10-2017, 01:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thorfun
I don't understand these negatives at all!
On a web forum? I'm SHOCKED to hear negative nit-picking about something new...

I definitely had to reach to find something to pick on. I really did like all the changes. The CD changer door was the only thing that jumped out at me. But unless it's included in one of the 'standard' option packages it's probably something most folks will never see.

I was also told that it's only the Turbo model that gets the split-expanding rear spoiler. On the others it just raises, without the split/widening feature.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:45 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2011 and now have the 2017, while this subject is all opinions..I do tend to disagree with above.
I think the seats and general feel are light years ahead of the prior model. I personally hated all the damn buttons - this is more modern and clean - minus the fingerprints of course. The buttons do have a haptic response so not sure about comment above about lack of auditory or tactile feel.

The exterior - the entire back of the car is considerably better - the first gen was ugly as hell. Plus the transformer wing is very cool - wait till you hit 130 and it flips UP!!!

My buddy has a 4s with the massage seats and I think thats the only thing I wish I had - they are pretty effective on long drives.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:41 PM
TAG ceo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to keep in mind is that there are several versions of seats for the front & the rear. Some are more adjustable then others so maybe the ones that were uncomfortable were not as adjustable. I currently have the 14 way seats in front on my PTTS and the non adjustable rear seats, I don't find either to be uncomfortable but I ordered the sport turismo with 18 way fronts and the 8 way adjustable rear (with massage of course!) Hopefully my passengers will be comfy but if not tough shi*. I bought the car for me, not for them
Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAG ceo
Hopefully my passengers will be comfy but if not tough shi*. I bought the car for me, not for them
Love this

Quick Reply: Share your impressions of the 2017/2018 Panamera