Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera S e-Hybrid fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 02:07 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by cbwinters01
Orca,I think you are right, but I've also been exploring that same question with my '16 pseh when i got a low battery warning while using the piwis last weekend. It will be good to know the final answer to this.
looking through the manuals, and everything that i can find online, it appears to me that the high voltage battery does charge the 12v battery, but only when the car is completely started in electric mode (i.e. if you put it into gear, it would drive). It appears that if the ignition is only 'on' (i.e. not driveable), such as when using the piwis, the 12v battery will be drained...
That seems reasonable- I can say that I ran a PIWIS for well over an hour off the battery which never dipped below 13V; I had the ignition on but if you had asked me before I would have said "not ready to drive off" meaning I turned it on without stepping on the brake. Could be mistaken. Perhaps this is why a dead 12V won't recharge on its own, needs the initial 12V to get the ignition on and connected to then start charging.

All supposition.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:29 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a lot of experience (at the engineering level) with how the hybrid system in another OEM works, the Porsche system may be similar. Or maybe not. But you can use this as speculation / a data point.

In my OEM, the HV (high voltage) and 12V systems are almost totally segregated. One role of the inverter is to step down HV DC to 12V DC to recharge the 12V battery, and the 12V system provides the power needed to operate the ECUs used in the HV system (as well as the rest of the car), but other than that there is little crossover. If the 12V battery is flat, the vehicle is dead even if the HV battery is at 100% SOC (state of charge). The 12V battery is responsible for 1) closing system main relays necessary to energize the HV system (i.e. closing the connections that connect the HV battery to the rest of the HV system), and 2) powering on the ECUs necessary to run the HV system. So even though technically speaking the HV battery is the power source to charge the 12V battery, it does not do so without the 12V battery at least being able to turn on the vehicle and energize the HV system, if that makes sense.

My guess is that OP's kid just drained the 12V battery and the HV system is setting fault codes in sympathy because things are abnormal.

Or it could be something else. :shrug:
Old 11-11-2022, 09:22 AM
AhmerM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sac02
I have a lot of experience (at the engineering level) with how the hybrid system in another OEM works, the Porsche system may be similar. Or maybe not. But you can use this as speculation / a data point.

In my OEM, the HV (high voltage) and 12V systems are almost totally segregated. One role of the inverter is to step down HV DC to 12V DC to recharge the 12V battery, and the 12V system provides the power needed to operate the ECUs used in the HV system (as well as the rest of the car), but other than that there is little crossover. If the 12V battery is flat, the vehicle is dead even if the HV battery is at 100% SOC (state of charge). The 12V battery is responsible for 1) closing system main relays necessary to energize the HV system (i.e. closing the connections that connect the HV battery to the rest of the HV system), and 2) powering on the ECUs necessary to run the HV system. So even though technically speaking the HV battery is the power source to charge the 12V battery, it does not do so without the 12V battery at least being able to turn on the vehicle and energize the HV system, if that makes sense.

My guess is that OP's kid just drained the 12V battery and the HV system is setting fault codes in sympathy because things are abnormal.

Or it could be something else. :shrug:
Borrowed an EV charger. Charged the vehicle upto 60%. The hybrid error's gone and the car's alive. 12V battery which was dead is now also charging. No errors on the dash.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:00 AM
Hans Holzel
5th Gear

Hello I have Panamera S E-Hybrid 2014 plug in. I have same problem - on the dashboard show me warning - PARK VEHICLE SAFETLY. Cars give hand brade, electric motor stop, and cooling fan on engine begin runs. With the car can not moving. Have anyone tips how solved this problem? What is wrong?

Originally Posted by AhmerM
Hi. New to this forum. Just bought my 1st panamera 2015 se hybrid. Love the drive. Apart from that it's just been a month and the car won't start. Wife told me that my 5yr was sitting in the car with ignition on and now it's showing hybrid sign with "Park vehicle safely. Image attached. All functions are working. The boot won't close now. Feels like the 12v battery has also drained while attempting to start.

I don't have the EV charger, im trying to borrow one to check if it will fix after the hybrid battery gets some juice. Any help from members is appreciated.

Regards
Old 04-24-2024, 08:49 AM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Manual for panamera

I just purchased this manual wasn’t sure if it’s covers hybrid I’ll check and advise
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11611649251...mis&media=COPY

Originally Posted by healthyspeed
Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Cayenne S Hybrid with less than 12,000 miles on it. However when I drive the vehicle hard for about 15min, a warning sign in yellow shows up on the dash "Fault Hybrid System". The car continues to run without the battery assist and the fault disappears after a cooling down period, mostly after restarting the vehicle after some minutes.

Anyone experience this? what is the resolution?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2024, 10:58 AM
Hans Holzel
5th Gear

Ok. I will waiting.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:33 AM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Default Hybrid manual and regular says 6000 pages

Adding a page so appears covers

Old 04-24-2024, 11:42 AM
Hans Holzel
5th Gear

Thank you. Have you there this problem? See foto.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:32 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Default Sensor

Are you on the level ground also do you have a Porsche tool to read the error ?
Old 04-25-2024, 02:55 AM
Hans Holzel
5th Gear

Diagnostic tool show lot of fault codes. Iam looking for those who have a similar problem and how this problem can be solved.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:41 AM
Hans Holzel
5th Gear

wich format ist this manual? PDF or other?
Old 04-25-2024, 09:31 AM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Default Similar reported issue

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...le-safely.html

similar post
Old 04-25-2024, 09:50 AM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Default Icarsoft tool