Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Burmester or Bose sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Burmester or Bose sound?

Anyone compare the Burmester to the Bose Sound system?
Anyone use an ipod with them? Does it sound as good as a CD?
Do you have to use Apple Lossless or other lossless encoding or can you use the itunes AAC and get CD sound from the Burmester, or Bose?
Or do you have to use something other than an ipod.
Someone with an Audi said they had full screen function with their ipod touch using the earphone jack along with the dock. Will the Panamera work this way?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did last night....its night and day to the sound quality between the 2 of the systems. The burmester is just light years ahead....bose sounded like a fm radio compared to a cd of the burmester.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 PM
speedread
Racer

Originally Posted by ricster
I did last night....its night and day to the sound quality between the 2 of the systems. The burmester is just light years ahead....bose sounded like a fm radio compared to a cd of the burmester.
Thanks.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i listened to it in a turbo on the radio signal and it wasn't that noticeable? admitidly i was more focused on acceleration
Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Burmeister, no question...(and I know a little bit about the Bose system, so it's a somewhat professional opinion)
Old 12-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
+1 Unequivocally. Burmeister is a must.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Funny when I went to the ride and drive for the product introduction I wondered to myself how much better could the berm system be? Well after taking the BOse demo back to back with the Berm demo its not even close. The Bose system is very good but compared to the Berm system its not nearly as good.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
speedread
Racer

Thanks again.
Anyone use an ipod with a high end setup? Compared to CD?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Frissen
Instructor

its been all answered, Burmester is best
Old 12-23-2009, 05:24 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i have owned a bunch of porsches, and for the money that we pay for these cars, the upscale stereo systems shoud be standard. for 95-150k, you should get the better speakers and amplifiers.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I agree with doc, Bose should be standard eqiptment and Burmester should be a reasonably priced option!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

The Bermester is reasonably priced for what you get. According to the Bermester rep you can’t even buy 1/2 of their least expensive piece of home equipment for the price of the whole system. I am not advocating the upgrade but you really need to put it in the proper context. Those people who for whatever reason need to have the best of the best are getting a bargain with that system.

Its not like the base system is an ac delco system, its pretty good in its own right. If you want more than go for the bose.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

to listen to a stereo properly you must apply far more attention then could ever be afforded while driving an automobile.

the option simply does not make sense imo - it can't make sense from any logical perspective assuming you listen to it while the car is moving and you are driving. the passengers certainly are due a vote , but they rarely pay for the car.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Sigalot
1st Gear

Default Bose vs Burm is a matter of what musuc you like

I checked our both systems in a 2012 Cayenne and Panamera...I generally do not care for Bose...but it sounds fine for Rock, Pop and R&B....with emphasis on lows and mids. The Burm did not blow me away especially given the added 5k price tag...but is suited for opera and classical with the emphasis on mid and highs. Neither is amazing...relative to each other. f you want to be blown away you have to go aftermarket and spends a lot more. You are buying a Porsche for the drive not the sound system...
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
calexand
Track Day

Default I also compared

I definitely appreciate good music, and have a good sound system at home including B&W speakers. So my tentative plan was to spend the $6K for Burmester. However, I wanted to make sure it was worth it first, so found a dealer which had Pannys with all three stereo options and brought some favorite CDs.

I had two surprises. First, the default stereo was surprisingly bad for a $100K+ car. Perhaps they figure they have a large audience of people who only listen to news and traffic if they have it on at all, so that is all they need. But yuck.

The second surprise was that, while the highs and midrange were a little better on the Burmester than the BOSE, the bass is just as muddy. It must be physical limitation of the available spaces for the woofers or something. I really like a clean crisp thump to my Red Hot Chili Peppers, Joe Satriani, etc. not a muddy thudding sound, so was disappointed the two were about the same in that issue.

I was surprised, so when I had a chance at another dealer later, I double checked the Burmester again, and found the same result -- good treble and midrange, same bass muddiness. For me, if it wasn't going to have the full sound I wanted for good rock music listening, it wasn't worth the $4K premium over the BOSE. So I ordered the BOSE.

I also ordered it without the CD changer, by the way. I would really prefer to not deal with swapping CDs while driving, so would have liked the changer. But in my testing above, it was so annoying to deal with the badly designed changer that I thought it would annoy me more than help. I am an interaction designer, and cannot stand badly designed things.

You try to insert a CD in the BOSE changer and it stops you to first ask which slot to put it in. Really? How about I could specify if needed by pressing a button, but for the 99.9% of the time I don't care or just have one CD, you just put it in slot one (or the next available slot) without stopping me first every time to ask something I am unlikely to care about?

Then, even more annoying -- I have just that one CD in the changer and press eject to get it out. Which CD did you want to eject, it asks? That is terrible design. If only one is inserted and the person presses eject, which one do you think they want ejected?! That would have annoyed me to no end.

Bottom line: if you like rock music or something else with bass, you may want to cross compare the Burmester and BOSE on your favorite music before spending the extra $4K, but do buy one or the other in my opinion. And don't get the changer if things like I wrote above annoy you too, or at least annoy you more than you want the benefit.

Quick Reply: Burmester or Bose sound?