Panamera 2010-Current

Burmester or Bose sound?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, Chip.

I don't understand why anyone would want a CD changer with the availability of digital music sources.

How is the Pan with regards to iPod interfacing?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The iPod interface works reasonably well. I leave my iPod nano connected inside the armrest compartment all the time, I only take it out when I need to add songs. I rarely listen to CDs anymore. A few years ago I had most of my CDs ripped into my laptop and transferred to my various iPods/iPads/iPhones.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

The Burmester option was well worth it for me. It sounds as good as my audio room equipment. It's way better in the natural sound of vocals and the bass is very good and deep.

I use a USB memory fob that I have downloaded with my playlists from iTunes. It sounds absolutely great.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
uc1bear
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I have a '12 Cayenne Turbo with Burmester and I am pretty sure something is wrong with my system, although Porsche says is is 'normal' when I brought it in. Here's what I notice:

- Impossible to listen at low volumes -- totally unbalanced bass/treble/midrange is really 'unmusical' -- sounds more like noise than music.
- Sources like XM and iPod sounds really compressed and nasty, as if it were a low quality MP3 from the 90's. The same iPod sounds great on home system or even (for purposes of demonstration!) a $200 boombox.

Now I am not a mega-audiophile, but I think I generally have a pretty good ear, and my passengers have noted that the system sounds terrible too. Yes, I've played with all the Sound options, and have put everything back at the default levels after fooling with Bass, Treble, and Burmester options didn't help.

My gut is that something is messed up with the midrange, and separately with the XM antenna, since it sounds so compressed (always - with a clear view of sky).

Any ideas? I'm really bummed that I can't share everyone's enthusiasm for Burmester -- I just leave my stereo off all the time.

Mark
Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

With sport exhaust and the new 'Sound Symposer', who needs a high-end stereo?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uc1bear, how does your system sound with CDs?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM
vitaman
Advanced

Great commentary Chip.
Most changers take more time to use than single disc players operated with purpose.
On the Bose/Burm topic, the Bose system is surprisingly enjoyable with good range and dynamism. Considerably better than most marque's premium upgrades. The Burm is more detailed and "musical" especially in the mid range and treble. I preferred it. Is it worth the extra cost? If it was 7K extra...no. If it was 1K additional then absolutely. At its current price a resounding maybe.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Bose in my 4S. My car had to be in the shop for almost a month(long story). THe dealer provided a Pano Turbo loaner with the Berm. When I got back in my car after a month it sounded like a 70's AM radio. It is more than fine now. I do not think I would pay 5K but if I pick up a used Pano it will have the Berm.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM
kip1
Instructor

I have Burmester in my used PTT and think that it is the best audio I have ever heard. It is the first time ever I have really noticed the audio system in a car. Would I ever pay for this option, NO! Its unbelievably expensive and I would have used the money on performance and safety oriented options. There is a saying that dont buy a better/more expensive stereo sytem in your car than you have at home.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM
uc1bear
2nd Gear

TGED, It sounds crappy with CD's. My 70 year old mom can hear that something is wrong with my Burmester (and, no - I haven't been listening to gangsta rap at high volumes and blown the speakers) but Porsche says it's "working to spec". (Which simply means that all the speakers emit sound, as best I can tell.)

Any ideas for how I can isolate the problem and/or find someone at Porsche or Burmester who will simply take a critical listen?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM
kip1
Instructor

Originally Posted by uc1bear
TGED, It sounds crappy with CD's. My 70 year old mom can hear that something is wrong with my Burmester (and, no - I haven't been listening to gangsta rap at high volumes and blown the speakers) but Porsche says it's "working to spec". (Which simply means that all the speakers emit sound, as best I can tell.)

Any ideas for how I can isolate the problem and/or find someone at Porsche or Burmester who will simply take a critical listen?
Bummer. Real sorry to hear this as it is the only car stereo ever I have noticed to be good. I would suggest you take it to a car audio shop. I think they can help you. Workshop guys in overealls who have their hearing impaired after many years of machine sounds cant help you before you tell them what the problem is.

Hope you get this fixed. I assume you have tried all different sound adjusting possibilities and you have noticed that you must adjust the sound separately for everything: usb,cds, radio etc and that if you dont save the settings you have adjusted, they will return to original. What sound modes do you use? I like surround mode.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
PanchoV
Cruisin'

XM is so compressed it sounds like crap on any stereo. Mp3s on iPhones etc are compressed as well but nothing like XM. CDs are the only way to hear quality audio. CDs are a hassle, scratch and only hold a few songs...therefore I will take the free stereo when I order my 991 turbo.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Does anyone think the Burmester system was optimized for the Panamera and an afterthought in the Cayenne? Meaning more time was invested in assuring tonal balance etc for the interior of the four door sedan and much less was done with the Cayenne other than to offer it for bragging rights?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM
vitaman
Advanced

Interesting point re the Cayenne.
I first heard the Berm in a Panamera and was blown away. Ordered it for my Cayenne and while I like it, it is not as awe inspiring. However, according to Burmeister's website, they created the systems indecently for each car.
Have had the opportunity to play with a Bose in the Panny Hybrid loaner I've been driving for a few days. It's great compared to BMW's Premium Audio, but does not hold a candle in terms of clarity and depth compared to the Berm.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM
BuddyP
Track Day

I paid the $2k for the Bose in my 2012 Pana S. It is very ordinary and I do not think it was worth the extra money. I have never heard the Burmester but it will be a consideration the next time around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burmester or Bose sound?