Burmester or Bose sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try a new dealer

Originally Posted by uc1bear
TGED, It sounds crappy with CD's. My 70 year old mom can hear that something is wrong with my Burmester (and, no - I haven't been listening to gangsta rap at high volumes and blown the speakers) but Porsche says it's "working to spec". (Which simply means that all the speakers emit sound, as best I can tell.)

Any ideas for how I can isolate the problem and/or find someone at Porsche or Burmester who will simply take a critical listen?
When you mention "Porsche" are you referring to the dealer or did PCNA get involved? If you have the option, take the car to another dealer and ask them to look into the issue. It could be that the dealer is not attemtping to resolve the issue. You may get the issue resolved to your satisfaction by going to asnother dealer.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Here's my verdict (I just got my Turbo S last Tuesday) on the Burmester sound system. Keep in mind that I had a factory loaner Panamera Turbo Powerkit with BOSE for more than a month, so I guess I have a pretty good comparison.
Here we go: The Burmester systems sucks. These were actually my first thoughts after I picked up my car and connected my iPhone 4S through BT audio to it. The bass was horrible, flat and just sounding bad. I tried another song, same thing. Then, by accident, I chose a song with a much better recording quality. The difference was substantial. After that, I started playing with the setup settings (Surround, Live, Soft) and believe it or not, Soft sounds best for me. After trying several dozens of different songs and settings, I came to the conclusion that the Burmester system is amazing, if the songs are recorded in a very good quality and if you use the Soft setting, not the Surround or the Live setting.
This is the downside of such a good system: It actually brutally uncovers flaws in the quality of certain songs. It doesn't matter if the song uses a lossless compression algorithm or not, it matters if the song has been recorded in high quality. I don't plan to listen to classical music in the car, this puts me to sleep but at least 10% of my dance music songs are not recorded well enough for the Burmester. The bass is the major problem here but if the song is recorded in a high quality, the sound is just amazing, incl. the bass.
This is valid for any kind of sound source, iPhone/iPod, CD or USB stick. Also keep in mind that for each source, you have to do the proper sound SETUP.
If don't really care much about sound and if your recordings are crappy MP3 files from the internet, stick with BOSE.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Christian,

Something must have changed since my 2010 Panamera Turbo was delivered. My Burmester system is the best sounding car audio system I have ever heard -- period.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 PM
TGED
Instructor

You should never use Blue Tooth to listen to music, the BT format was designed for speech not music. I always use the USB connection.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:03 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I got the Burmester system in my PTT and am very happy with it. I have had many high end after market systems in the past and it is nice to simply get something from the factory that is great to listen too.

Definately worth the money on the Turbo.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Default bose system

i just got my p4 with a bose system and there is one thing to say -- it sucks !
i have a 02 911 with a bose audio and this thing sounds much better. I went to a local hi end audio shop so looks like i need to invest about 3k to make it sounds wright. On the other hand burmester is not that much better for a 5k option.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zgdanska
i just got my p4 with a bose system and there is one thing to say -- it sucks !
i have a 02 911 with a bose audio and this thing sounds much better. I went to a local hi end audio shop so looks like i need to invest about 3k to make it sounds wright. On the other hand burmester is not that much better for a 5k option.
HAve you ever listened to the Burmester, with the engine off? It is REALLY good, its just that I would never pay that much (8000 euros) for any audio system in a car, but am very happy the first owner of the car did. I could, however, invest so much money in a home audi system. But it is the best car audio system I have ever heard.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kip1
HAve you ever listened to the Burmester, with the engine off? It is REALLY good, its just that I would never pay that much (8000 euros) for any audio system in a car, but am very happy the first owner of the car did. I could, however, invest so much money in a home audi system. But it is the best car audio system I have ever heard.
When i was buying the car they did not had the car with burmester . However the bose system sounds fine with mp3`s but the xm and fm sucks big time. Looks like it is a more of the decoder issue inside the audio system.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM
pcar_finally
Intermediate

I think anyone making this decision has to listen to both and decide if its worth the $5000 to him/her. For me, after listening to both I had to get the burmester. Not that it's the greatest sound system ever made, but it sucks way less than any other factory system ive ever heard, and I just don't want to deal with the hassle/risk of going aftermarket. Burmester is quite fine for what you expect in a car.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar_finally
I think anyone making this decision has to listen to both and decide if its worth the $5000 to him/her. For me, after listening to both I had to get the burmester. Not that it's the greatest sound system ever made, but it sucks way less than any other factory system ive ever heard, and I just don't want to deal with the hassle/risk of going aftermarket. Burmester is quite fine for what you expect in a car.
+100
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
redantporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered the Burm. in the new Cayenne GTS. I had a 997.2 Turbo with the Bose. The Bose in turbo sounded great, if not just as good. ...is the Burm worth in it in the Cayenne...I guess if you had to choose between PTV and PDCC, I would get the PTV and PDCC instead of the Burm.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redantporsche
I ordered the Burm. in the new Cayenne GTS. I had a 997.2 Turbo with the Bose. The Bose in turbo sounded great, if not just as good. ...is the Burm worth in it in the Cayenne...I guess if you had to choose between PTV and PDCC, I would get the PTV and PDCC instead of the Burm.
I would recommend you always spoend your money on the factory perforamance options before the stereo - they can't generally be added later and they will add value ot your car on resale. The Stereo can be upgraded if need be aftermarket after the purchase and the sky is the limit here. But $5,000 does not buy you much, so the Burn is a fair deal for what you get.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM
PCC
Instructor

The Bose system is perhaps the most overrated system in any car. It's horrible.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCC
The Bose system is perhaps the most overrated system in any car. It's horrible.
I have never been a fan of "any" Bose system - whether in my 997 Turbo Cab or my Chevy 4x4 pickup!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
TGED
Instructor

Bose products are all way over-priced.

Quick Reply: Burmester or Bose sound?