Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

I drove all three models

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts
Default I drove all three models

I drove all three Panamera's on the track and on the street and back to back vs a bunch of the "competition". Those other cars dont come close to the total package. The 189k dollar MB twin turbo 12 S class is a nice alternative for a lot more money and with second class electronics.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ok, trader, is the rumor true that Porsche is designing a GT coupe and a cab version of the panamera??? If so, sign me up!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove an all black Panamera 4S on Tue. night and I was impressed. This Sedan is solid! Very nice exhaust sound and quick. Handling is superb and the key fob looks like a Panamera! (similar to Cayenne looking key fob). Porsche is making the purchaser buy a set of winter wheels/tires and a lugage set as part of the purchase (adds around $10K to the price)! They were asking $105,500 list ($115,500 with the above).

Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Turbo Panamera is awesome. Flat cornering and fantastic excelleration. It feels as if your heading down a runway in a private jet.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by ljugete
I drove an all black Panamera 4S on Tue. night and I was impressed. This Sedan is solid! Very nice exhaust sound and quick. Handling is superb and the key fob looks like a Panamera! (similar to Cayenne looking key fob). Porsche is making the purchaser buy a set of winter wheels/tires and a lugage set as part of the purchase (adds around $10K to the price)! They were asking $105,500 list ($115,500 with the above).

Buy it from another dealer Porsche is NOT making you buy the luggage or winter wheel and tire, thats silly.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ljugete

The customer isn't obligated to buy luggage, but the dealer has to get a set... Winter tires is a strong suggestion for the north!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Trader220
Race Car

The dealers had to buy more than 1 set, just ask any Porsche Parts manager how he likes having so many sets.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
The dealers had to buy more than 1 set, just ask any Porsche Parts manager how he likes having so many sets.
Nice luggage though...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Took a closer look at the panemera, it looks better in darker colors and very big in light color like beige

The cars interior is very nice and front view is very well done. This is a very long car and no way of hiding it. It appelas as a cruiser for long distances and feels clumsy to drive for short trips or on side roads or a quick run, more of a highway cruiser/executive jet. I think a smaller version of panamera in the size of a bmw 3/5 series may appeal to more folks
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I agree, after driving my 993 the next day I realized that the Panamera is no 911 (but a great sports sedan)!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

I drove all three Panamera's on the track and on the street and back to back vs a bunch of the "competition". Those other cars dont come close to the total package. The 189k dollar MB twin turbo 12 S class is a nice alternative for a lot more money and with second class electronics.
Trader,

Someone on one of the boards recently said that the Turbo felt nose-heavy compared to the S and 4S to point of preferring them to the Turbo as an overall decision.

What is your evaluation of the track handling and performance of the Turbo vs the 4S? And, irrespective of price, which model did you like best?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Trader220
Race Car

That’s a good question without price in the equation.

I didn’t feel as if the turbo was really nose heavy and without a stop watch I can only go on feel. Even though the track was short and without any real significant straights I was clearly quickest in the turbo. It’s not all that fair since you get 100 more bhp and it only costs you a few hundred pounds. Turbo lag is virtually nonexistent so when you mashed the pedal on through the turn onto the longest straight the PDK kicks you all the way down to second and the car leaps forward. For a car which weighs 4000 pounds I was very pleased with how well the chassis responds to inputs. It takes some time to tweak all the cockpit adjustments in the air suspension to get the optimum set up for the course. Compared to the Maserati which I thought would be the best track competition the Panamera is clearly superior in every aspect even the base one. I also though the MB CSL would be a nice comparison, but I had been driving the AMG version for a few weeks and although its blindingly fast the chassis and brakes are a joke, so is the cockpit electronics and rear seat room. The closest car was the BMW 750il but again it’s a lot heavier and it’s a traditional looking 4 door sedan. Just for the record we were paced by an instructor who was in a Carrera and I could easily push him in the turbo but again that’s 345 hp vs 500.

I think if it were me I would opt for the 4S but I would be very thorough on the way I spec’d out the car. I think the turbo is a bit of overkill then again the 4S I spec’d out would be near a base turbos price. IMO there are some things which are must haves performance wise and luxury wise.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Trader,

Thanks so much for your input!

IMO there are some things which are must haves performance wise and luxury wise.
Please expound further on the must-haves!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 AM
MFC996
Instructor

PDCC and sport chrono for starters ... with the RS Spyder 20's. After that it's all just window dressing.

Quick Reply: I drove all three models