Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Anyone done the brakes themselves on a 971? Any pitfalls? Is a scan tool needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 01:14 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

The 971 manual says use normal height and jack mode.
The following 3 users liked this post by H2Owon:
chassis (01-02-2024), coulter (01-02-2024), Mootz (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 05:50 PM
PanameraCharger
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by H2Owon
The 971 manual says use normal height and jack mode.
I couldn’t find the jack mode so I just put the height in middle and I just did one corner at a time. I just made sure not to turn the car on and all was well.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-02-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 09:16 PM
coulter
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Just as a followup, I finally did the brakes myself and made a DIY post.

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...ling-gone.html

Was relatively straightforward and easy. And the squeaking is GONE!
Old 08-08-2024, 06:58 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I can't believe you guys are using Porsche OEM brake pads. I stopped using them on all my 3 Porsches going back to my 997.1, 997.2 and my 970 Panamera 4S. I never enjoyed cleaning my wheels on a daily basis that those pads require doing. Throwing black dust after every ride I took. I looked into ceramic pads if possible on steel rotors. Guess what? NO ISSUES. I use HAWK ceramic brake pads and I don't have to clean my wheels hardly ever. I do them every month or two. I have powder coated gloss black wheels so the barrels and the Hawk pads hardly throw brake dust at all. Very little vs a ton of black brake pad dust with those awful Porsche OEM pads. Hey it's your car so do what you will. I'm just saying if you are going to change your pads don't be afraid to make a change to something more beneficial to the appearance of your wheels and the work to keep them clean. BTW no squeeling or noise if your wondering and they brake just as good even though they are harder pads.
Old 08-09-2024, 04:16 PM
coulter
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I can't believe you guys are using Porsche OEM brake pads. I stopped using them on all my 3 Porsches going back to my 997.1, 997.2 and my 970 Panamera 4S. I never enjoyed cleaning my wheels on a daily basis that those pads require doing. Throwing black dust after every ride I took. I looked into ceramic pads if possible on steel rotors. Guess what? NO ISSUES. I use HAWK ceramic brake pads and I don't have to clean my wheels hardly ever. I do them every month or two. I have powder coated gloss black wheels so the barrels and the Hawk pads hardly throw brake dust at all. Very little vs a ton of black brake pad dust with those awful Porsche OEM pads. Hey it's your car so do what you will. I'm just saying if you are going to change your pads don't be afraid to make a change to something more beneficial to the appearance of your wheels and the work to keep them clean. BTW no squeeling or noise if your wondering and they brake just as good even though they are harder pads.
Over the years, for me it's been a crapshoot with aftermarket pads. I'm not sure if I came across Hawk as an option.

Where do you buy front Hawk ceramic pads for a Panamera 971? RockAuto doesnt list them and the the usual sites like FCPeuro or Pelican Parts doesnt have them either.

Last edited by coulter; 08-09-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:06 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by coulter
Over the years, for me it's been a crapshoot with aftermarket pads. I'm not sure if I came across Hawk as an option.

Where do you buy front Hawk ceramic pads for a Panamera 971? RockAuto doesnt list them and the the usual sites like FCPeuro or Pelican Parts doesnt have them either.
I use Hawk performance ceramics on all 3 p cars. They work great. Here’s the thread for Panny, and Nicksu mapped out the hawk part #s for different 971 models.

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...smo-turbo.html
The following users liked this post:
Dartmouth (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 10:44 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I think I remember buying my Hawk brake pads from TireRack.com. Great prices and delivery and customer service.

Quick Reply: Anyone done the brakes themselves on a 971? Any pitfalls? Is a scan tool needed?