Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Anyone done the brakes themselves on a 971? Any pitfalls? Is a scan tool needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 12:15 PM
coulter
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Anyone done the brakes themselves on a 971? Any pitfalls? Is a scan tool needed?

I usually do brakes myself on my cars. Was wondering if it's much different on a Panamera? Any experience? Is a scan tool needed? Anybody have some scans of a service manual for a brake job?

Any recommendation on brand of pads and rotors? I'd like to eliminate the horrible squeaking I'm hearing. I'm pretty sure the rear pads on mine need to be replaced.

The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:53 PM
jjchen330ci
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently repalced front and rear brake on my 2020 GTS, I was able to replace the rear brake without using scan tool.

I put the GTS on lift/tire replace mode and release the parking break and lift the car.
front brake are straight forward no issue.
the rear brake need triple square socket, it is not the same as front brake... I was surprised that I didn't need to use PIWIS III to release the brake...

as for the parts... I just order the Porsche OEM parts (for GTS) from Porsche online dealer..... it come out around $2300 instead of $36XX from local dealer.

this is my experience, by no mean a proper service steps.

hope this help.

regards,
coulter (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 01:17 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,107 Posts

If you are familiar with German car brakes, there are no gotchas on this imo.

Front brakes are dead simple. Take the caliper off, replace the pads and put the caliper back on. I replace caliper screws when doing this job. It’s factory specified but not everyone does it, at their risk.

Rear brakes are simple, with a caveat that the drum in hat parking brake could cause challenges at higher mileage. Lower mileage parking brake shoes probably aren’t worn enough and the actuator isn’t extended enough to require retraction. This is what I am reading in this thread and others. At higher mileages it is prudent to have a solution to retract the EPB or take it to a shop for the rear brakes.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
blackpearl2015 (01-01-2024), Mootz (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 01:31 PM
coulter
Instructor

Wow, I had no idea the dealer wanted $3600 for a complete brake job! That pretty much guarantees I'm going to attempt this myself. I just did my wife's brakes on her Lexus (ridiculously easy to do) but was on the fence about letting a shop do the Panamera's.
It seems like from my research, Textar is the actual OEM, Porsche just slaps their label on it and doubles the price? It also seems that I should go ahead an buy all new sensor wires as reusing them can be a challenge.

On "releasing the parking brake", does that mean simply "not" engaging the parking brake (the separate button below the shifter) Just leaving it in "Park" on the shifter is fine?

Thanks for the tips on the bolts, I thought they were Torx and not Triple Square.
chassis (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 01:53 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Check prices on:

FCP Euro
Suncoast
Porsche Atlanta Perimeter
Porsche Silver Spring

Porsche dealer online parts prices can be surprisingly competitive. I plan to replace front pads only, in a few thousand miles. I will do the rotors next time.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:02 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by chassis
If you are familiar with German car brakes, there are no gotchas on this imo.

Front brakes are dead simple. Take the caliper off, replace the pads and put the caliper back on. I replace caliper screws when doing this job. It’s factory specified but not everyone does it, at their risk.

Rear brakes are simple, with a caveat that the drum in hat parking brake could cause challenges at higher mileage. Lower mileage parking brake shoes probably aren’t worn enough and the actuator isn’t extended enough to require retraction. This is what I am reading in this thread and others. At higher mileages it is prudent to have a solution to retract the EPB or take it to a shop for the rear brakes.

I'm mostly used to working on Japanese and (older) American cars. But a little bit European. I had read that the caliper bolts are supposed to be one time use, so I had planned on buying new ones. Do you know the torque specs by chance?

On the rear brakes, I had planned to just slap in some new pads. No pulsation on the pedal and my experience is usually the rotors are fine in the rear. The parking brake also gave me pause and if I can sidestep that by just leaving in the rotors, probably best. For the front, I had planned on installing new rotors.

I knew Porsche's were expensive to service at the dealer, but I really had no idea just how extreme that really is. Makes Mercedes dealers look like a bargain.
chassis (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 03:26 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Cayenne S 9Y0.1 with 21" wheels front M14 and rear M12 caliper screws are 30Nm + 90 degrees. Manufacturer specifies fastener replacement.

I do not assume Panamera torque specs are the same, although they might be. Brakes are safety critical so I make no assumptions.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:52 PM
jjchen330ci
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coulter
Wow, I had no idea the dealer wanted $3600 for a complete brake job! That pretty much guarantees I'm going to attempt this myself. I just did my wife's brakes on her Lexus (ridiculously easy to do) but was on the fence about letting a shop do the Panamera's.
It seems like from my research, Textar is the actual OEM, Porsche just slaps their label on it and doubles the price? It also seems that I should go ahead an buy all new sensor wires as reusing them can be a challenge.

On "releasing the parking brake", does that mean simply "not" engaging the parking brake (the separate button below the shifter) Just leaving it in "Park" on the shifter is fine?

Thanks for the tips on the bolts, I thought they were Torx and not Triple Square.
dealer quoted $3600 that just for parts… they wanted $6800 for the whole job…. Yes.. that is why I decided to do it myself.. money aside.. at least I want to do the brake myself to make sure I did it right.. LOL..

yes, I just release the parking brake then lift the car up on the lift..

yeah, the triple square surprised me.. I was like.. why??!! What is the logic to have torx in the front and triple square on the rear?! Ugh

chassis (12-30-2023)
Old 01-01-2024, 12:12 PM
PanameraCharger
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Brakes are easy as ****. No scan tool needed for the rear. I got my parts from rock auto.
chassis (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 10:14 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by PanameraCharger
Brakes are easy as ****. No scan tool needed for the rear. I got my parts from rock auto.
What brand pads did you end up using?

My issue with the OEM ones is the consensus seems to be they're supposed to squeal. I'm fine with less performance if it means less noise.
chassis (01-01-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 04:16 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

You need to take Textar pads or Bosch pads
chassis (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 10:22 AM
PanameraCharger
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by coulter
What brand pads did you end up using?

My issue with the OEM ones is the consensus seems to be they're supposed to squeal. I'm fine with less performance if it means less noise.
I got the dynamic friction pad and rotors. They have been good so far with 3k miles on them.
chassis (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 11:58 AM
coulter
Instructor

Any issue with jacking the car up? It seems like there's some debate about how the suspension reacts. My plan was to put the suspension on the high setting, let it raise, then jack it up on each corner to do the brakes. I don't believe there's a central jacking point on the rear.

I got some of the BMW square style jack pads and just planned on using the outer jack points.
chassis (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 12:50 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Put the car in jack mode, selected in the PCM.
chassis (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 01:08 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by H2Owon
Put the car in jack mode, selected in the PCM.
In addition to the jack mode being selected, should the suspension height be raised?
chassis (01-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Anyone done the brakes themselves on a 971? Any pitfalls? Is a scan tool needed?