Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Will 971.2 tail lights work in a pre facelift 971 Panamera gts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024 | 03:12 PM
jtorrebl
Racer

Originally Posted by Shuga
Soo he installed an OEM facelift hatch and then went with an aftermarket set of lights? Why wouldn't you go with the OEM set of lights? The wiring harness?
he said earlier that the wiring wouldn’t work so he had to get an aftermarket solution for that requires the new shape latch/hatch oem but aftermarket taillights.
Old 07-06-2024 | 03:14 PM
jtorrebl
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgraham1906
where did you purchase the wiring harness?
I’m pretty sure the 971 harness fits the aftermarket 971.2 look taillights
The following users liked this post:
mrgraham1906 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-07-2024 | 03:09 AM
Andy Liu
Racer

Originally Posted by jtorrebl
I’m pretty sure the 971 harness fits the aftermarket 971.2 look taillights

i m pretty sure you are pulling that out of your *** if you don’t know and don’t read the upgrade for the animation tail light. You had to run the wire to the lun module which the older 971.1 don’t have. Only the 971.2 and then you have to program it to get the animation also, which the 971.1 won’t have it in the bcm2. The only way is to get aftermarket cause all the tail light are program with animation and the way they trigger it is by running one wire to a 12v acc which when the car is unlock the animation start and when the car is off which the acc is off then the animation turn off. So that is why I had to go with aftermarket plus I had to figure out how to wire the European wire as the tail is based on row and not nar. So it is a whole different reason but I m going to get my body shop to align it as I did the install myself. I ain’t a professional and I m doing this as a hobby. Plus most of you guys will never ever do this cause you guys are too scare
Old 07-07-2024 | 06:18 AM
jtorrebl
Racer

Originally Posted by Andy Liu
i m pretty sure you are pulling that out of your *** if you don’t know and don’t read the upgrade for the animation tail light. You had to run the wire to the lun module which the older 971.1 don’t have. Only the 971.2 and then you have to program it to get the animation also, which the 971.1 won’t have it in the bcm2. The only way is to get aftermarket cause all the tail light are program with animation and the way they trigger it is by running one wire to a 12v acc which when the car is unlock the animation start and when the car is off which the acc is off then the animation turn off. So that is why I had to go with aftermarket plus I had to figure out how to wire the European wire as the tail is based on row and not nar. So it is a whole different reason but I m going to get my body shop to align it as I did the install myself. I ain’t a professional and I m doing this as a hobby. Plus most of you guys will never ever do this cause you guys are too scare
andy relax. There seems to be a language barrier. I’ve been saying you have aftermarket lights because the new shape 971.2 factory lights won’t work. Someone earlier asked if you need a harness to install the aftermarket lights you got to our older cars. I understood the aftermarket market lights plug into our older 971.1 cars without any additional harness. Your posts are so confusing.
Old 07-07-2024 | 10:14 AM
Andy Liu
Racer

Originally Posted by jtorrebl
andy relax. There seems to be a language barrier. I’ve been saying you have aftermarket lights because the new shape 971.2 factory lights won’t work. Someone earlier asked if you need a harness to install the aftermarket lights you got to our older cars. I understood the aftermarket market lights plug into our older 971.1 cars without any additional harness. Your posts are so confusing.

it is confusing cause other people responded to it.

so here is the thing. Currently the vendor are working to create a tail light that is similar to the 971.2 for the 971.1 without changing the hatch. But don’t know the eta cause testing is the issue. It can take months or years, who know

the current solution right now is to replace the hatch if you want to go to 971.2 and the kit will come with pigtail to work. They are plug and play for row but for nar if you want the amber you got to run 4 wire one from each tail light and tap into the bcm2 if you wanted the signal and brake light to be separated. Cause the current USA 971.1 don’t have amber signal either and only use the brake like as signal so you got to run it and code the car. Otherwise the kit is plug and play if you are ok to use the brake light as signal.

if you guys have any other question I can answer it but I won’t assume of it. It just took me 3 days to put it together and figure out the wiring so I hated that people are assuming that it is an easy task. Plus there are no documentation out on the internet or even the dealer know how to enable the amber signal tail
Old 07-07-2024 | 11:16 AM
mrgraham1906
4th Gear

Is there a link or website for the 971.2 upgrade kit?
Old 07-07-2024 | 07:33 PM
jtorrebl
Racer

so here is the thing. Currently the vendor are working to create a tail light that is similar to the 971.2 for the 971.1 without changing the hatch. But don’t know the eta cause testing is the issue. It can take months or years, who know

the current solution right now is to replace the hatch if you want to go to 971.2 and the kit will come with pigtail to work. They are plug and play for row but for nar if you want the amber you got to run 4 wire one from each tail light and tap into the bcm2 if you wanted the signal and brake light to be separated. Cause the current USA 971.1 don’t have amber signal either and only use the brake like as signal so you got to run it and code the car. Otherwise the kit is plug and play if you are ok to use the brake light as signal.

if you guys have any other question I can answer it but I won’t assume of it. It just took me 3 days to put it together and figure out the wiring so I hated that people are assuming that it is an easy task. Plus there are no documentation out on the internet or even the dealer know how to enable the amber signal tail
Got it thanks Andy! Good job investigating
Old 07-07-2024 | 08:55 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do you have photos of the process? That may help with any confusion here. Or the parts that you replaced along the way?
Old 07-07-2024 | 09:16 PM
mrgraham1906
4th Gear

Agreed, I definitely would like to see some photos etc to complete my project… I started the process with upgrading my 971.1 tailgate and lights to the 971.2 tailgate/lights, successfully btw. My current issue is the lights are not plug after a test run. Needless to say recommendations are much appreciated. Btw, I did not use after market parts either. Right now my option is change out the pins but if there is an easier method… It would certainly be taken into consideration.
Old 07-07-2024 | 11:52 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

You got to get to make pigtail or you move the pin out. Plus you won’t get the animation with the oem so there is no point going with the oem anyways. You can’t swap out the new bcm2 into the 971.1. Cause you need the pin in the bcm and then use piwis to code in the animated tail light.

here is the document from Porsche so you can read it

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...19336-0001.pdf

best solution is to go with the aftermarket and it comes with orange wire which you just wire all them together into a 12v fuse which is the best solution. Otherwise you won’t get the animated tail light and if you trying to wire the European tail you still need to wire each wire into the bcm. I have document it in a different post

QUOTE=mrgraham1906;19534724]Agreed, I definitely would like to see some photos etc to complete my project… I started the process with upgrading my 971.1 tailgate and lights to the 971.2 tailgate/lights, successfully btw. My current issue is the lights are not plug after a test run. Needless to say recommendations are much appreciated. Btw, I did not use after market parts either. Right now my option is change out the pins but if there is an easier method… It would certainly be taken into consideration.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Will 971.2 tail lights work in a pre facelift 971 Panamera gts?