Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Oil Level Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 06:33 PM
thebestoil
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Level Monitor

On the 2022 Panamera Turbo S, anyone know what the oil volume is between the MIN and MAX marks on the oil level monitor? 1 quart, 2 quarts, etc? Hard to pin this one down.
Old 08-27-2022, 02:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Old 08-27-2022, 02:42 PM
thebestoil
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info...is this documented anywhere? All the info I have found merely states to add oil and do not overfill. Never any quantities. The oil level indicator on the '22 Panamera Turbo S does not have any segmentation; just one long bar between MAX and MIN.
Unless I'm missing something, the only way to check it when filling it up is to stop and turn on the engine to check the indicator while in the filling process. Knowing it is a quart between the MAX and MIN gives an idea of how much it will take.
Thanks.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:33 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebestoil
Thanks for the info...is this documented anywhere? All the info I have found merely states to add oil and do not overfill. Never any quantities. The oil level indicator on the '22 Panamera Turbo S does not have any segmentation; just one long bar between MAX and MIN.
Unless I'm missing something, the only way to check it when filling it up is to stop and turn on the engine to check the indicator while in the filling process. Knowing it is a quart between the MAX and MIN gives an idea of how much it will take.
Thanks.
That info is on various modern Porsche model forums. I'd guess the cars all use the same sensor/sending unit/guage programming. I just looked in the owners manual of both my 2022 Macan GTS and my 2018 Panamera Turbo and under the "Topping up engine oil" section it says "contact your authorized Porsche dealer" LOL. I would guess that screenshot I posted above is from PIWIS3 posted by someone w/ access, as it does not appear to be in the owner's manual. A lot of assumptions there but doubtful you will get in trouble adding oil 0.25qts at a time.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:38 PM
thebestoil
Rennlist Member

The turbos probably use a little more oil than normally-aspirated engines, and in 2000 miles the level is about halfway between MIN and MAX. I'll probably add 1/2 quart when it gets a little lower and see what happens. I was reading some of the earlier 911s had a 2-quart volume between the MIN and MAX. And the newer turbos take a C40 oil, which is not easy to find, because of the GPFs. A40 is readily available but not the C40. Porsche didn't make any change in the C40 recommendation between European and U.S. delivery models, even though the U.S. models many not all have the GPFs. Even some of the dealers have to scrounge around getting Liqui-Moly C40 because they can't get the Mobil 1 ESP X3. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:19 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

The turbos probably use a little more oil than normally-aspirated engines, and in 2000 miles the level is about halfway between MIN and MAX. I'll probably add 1/2 quart when it gets a little lower and see what happens. I was reading some of the earlier 911s had a 2-quart volume between the MIN and MAX. And the newer turbos take a C40 oil, which is not easy to find, because of the GPFs. A40 is readily available but not the C40. Porsche didn't make any change in the C40 recommendation between European and U.S. delivery models, even though the U.S. models many not all have the GPFs. Even some of the dealers have to scrounge around getting Liqui-Moly C40 because they can't get the Mobil 1 ESP X3. Thanks again.
I don't think you can consider anything before 2017 as a reference point. Porsche's current system basically started in 2017.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:49 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

I understand the frustration. I have a 2022 Panamera Turbo S and I'd be happy knowing how many quarts of oil the car takes overall, as well as how much to add if necessary. I'm at 3225 miles and the green bar on the display is about a 1/4 down from the full mark. The Dealership told me as long as it's in the green I'm good; and that it's alright if it fluctuates a bit...which it does depending on temperature, etc...ugh

Last edited by Smirnoff67; 08-29-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
I understand the frustration. I have a 2022 Panamera Turbo S and I'd be happy knowing how many quarts of oil the car takes overall, as well as how much to add if necessary. I'm at 3225 miles and the green mark on the display is about a 1/4 down from the full mark. The Dealership told me as long as it's in the green I'm good; and that it's alright if it fluctuates a bit...which it does depending on temperature, etc...ugh
They are correct though as long as it's in the range you are fine w/ the sump pickup unless you are putting slicks on and doing track days w/ high G sweepers. You will likely never approach the neighborhood of oil starvation on the street, even in spirited driving.
The following users liked this post:
Smirnoff67 (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 05:54 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by Nickshu
They are correct though as long as it's in the range you are fine w/ the sump pickup unless you are putting slicks on and doing track days w/ high G sweepers. You will likely never approach the neighborhood of oil starvation on the street, even in spirited driving.
Thank you sir. Do you know how many overall Quarts of oil it requires? Because it sure isn't in the Owners Manual that I can find. Meaning, how many Quarts are required for an oil change? It's maddening that that info isn't in the manual.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:57 PM
Rischey
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

On the 2022 Panamera Turbo S, anyone know what the oil volume is between the MIN and MAX marks on the oil level monitor? 1 quart, 2 quarts, etc? Hard to pin this one down.
I am at 2200 miles on my 9Y0 GTS and at half on the reading. I asked my dealer and he said that level is ideal. He said if it’s a quart low it will display a warning. I also asked about early oil change, he said not necessary.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:44 PM
thebestoil
Rennlist Member

Looks like the oil capacity for the late model Panamera Turbo S is 10 quarts. I thought it was listed but it is not.

Interesting that is was right at the MAX line when I picked it up new. Right on it. After 2000 miles it is over halfway towards MIN, and I'm going to have to add some before the annual oil change/service next year sometime. C40 0W40. There is some around but you have to do a little digging. Going on a long trip so will carry oil with me. These will use a little oil.
The following users liked this post:
Smirnoff67 (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 01:17 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Looks like the oil capacity for the late model Panamera Turbo S is 10 quarts. I thought it was listed but it is not.

Interesting that is was right at the MAX line when I picked it up new. Right on it. After 2000 miles it is over halfway towards MIN, and I'm going to have to add some before the annual oil change/service next year sometime. C40 0W40. There is some around but you have to do a little digging. Going on a long trip so will carry oil with me. These will use a little oil.
Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Monitor