Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

'13 Turbo TPMS won't reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 05:32 PM
Road Tripper
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '13 Turbo TPMS won't reset

This is my first post and this issue is probably already covered somewhere on here, I have just not been able to find it. I recently had a new set of Michelin PS4S installed on my Panamera at Discount Tire, now I get a "System Not Active" warning and the Tire Warning light is on all the time. Everything worked before the tires were replaced, no sensors we changed and all of them still show they are working on their scan tool. My OBD2 scan tool shows they are active and the car recognizes them, even shows the batteries are good on all 4. I have been back to the store 3 times, they have reset the computer as have I several times. I believe we have done everything right, going in through the screen on the dash, setting all the tire and wheel parameters and driving over 16 miles an hour for several days and pretty good distances. I have about 500 miles total on the tires now. It should have reset by now!

Have I/we missed something? I am going on a long road trip next week and it would be nice to have the peace of mind that everything is working correctly! There is not a Porsche dealership within easy driving distance of me but if I need to stop I will pass a few on the trip.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 08-13-2021, 06:54 PM
vkb123
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Are they the original TPMS sensors that came with the car when new? They are date stamped so would be easy to check when the tires were off. Can take some time to reset but, I agree, should be done after 500 miles. A PIWIS (Porsche workshop diagnostic tool) can check the sensors on the car. Many of us have this tool but if you don’t you will need dealer or a Porsche independent shop to check.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:03 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Try toggling it to from Summer to Winter(or vice versa) on your tire settings but drive it around on that setting for 20miles, then toggle it back to the desired setting and then drive around again for another 20miles. Also if you have a tire pressure gauge, double check to see if your pressures are in ideal range.

Coincidence that someone else had this same issue when they got their tires replaced at Discount Tire, but on a Boxster...

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/tpm...orking.122426/

Last edited by Deezflip; 08-13-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:33 PM
Road Tripper
4th Gear

As far as I know they are the original sensors, the scanner I have it the iCarsoft POR V3. It shows that all 4 sensors are working and have 120 months of battery life, I'm not sure i really trust that battery life detail! I have switched to a different tire type and back to the correct ones but did not drive it before returning to the correct settings. I will give that a try and see what happens.

I will update the thread once once I give that a try.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-15-2021, 08:00 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 740 Likes on 403 Posts

1. Turn the ign to start.
2. Lower the PSI about 12 lbs all the way around.
3. Fill the PSI up to the exact door placard, not your desired PSI.
4. Select between the different option (winter/summer)
5. Drive and the system should reset within a few minutes. If it doesn't not then switch over to the other setting and try it.

You are correct about the tool. There is no such tool to tell you your battery life. There are tools that will display a battery life but they are not accurate as there is zero way of checking that. They are either reading or not.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:10 PM
Road Tripper
4th Gear

Quick update, I reset everything according to the sequence laid out buy "goin2drt". I even aired the tires down lower than the 12+ lb recommended. No luck even after putting 350 miles on it over a long weekend.

Does anyone know if the wheels being put on the opposite side when the tires were changed could cause something like this? I would expect the car would recognize the new location and figure everything out on its own? Any more help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:29 PM
goin2drt
Banned

If hese are the original sensors they might be done for. Switching location only takes a relearn via PCM to relearn location.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:44 AM
Mattatares
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to my 970 Pan I have an ‘07 BMW M6 and during the last tire purchase - from the same tire vendor - none of my sensors continued to work. I went back multiple times and was advised by Discount Tire that “the sensors must be bad”, even though they’ve worked since I purchased the car. I took multiple trips to the shop where I service my vehicles and they advised that it needed to be done at DT. I received the same advice from the local dealer.

Regardless: the sensors worked prior to DT and haven’t worked since so I know correlation isn’t necessarily causation but it also isn’t necessarily not, if that makes sense.

My Pan is currently in the shop at the dealership in Scottsdale and in need of a new set of tires and I have asked that they take care of it so I don’t have the same issue as I have on the M6. Best of luck Road Tripper on the fix and please let us know if you find a solution.

Last edited by Mattatares; 08-24-2021 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Spelling & context
Old 08-24-2021, 07:54 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by Mattatares
In addition to my 970 Pan I have an ‘07 BMW M6 and during the last tire purchase - from the same tire vendor - none of my sensors continued to work. I went back multiple times and was advised by Discount Tire that “the sensors must be bad”, even though they’ve worked since I purchased the car. I took multiple trips to the shop where I service my vehicles and they advised that it needed to be done at DT. I received the same advice from the local dealer.

Regardless: the sensors worked prior to DT and haven’t worked since so I know correlation isn’t necessarily causation but it also isn’t necessarily not, if that makes sense.

My Pan is currently in the shop at the dealership in Scottsdale and in need of a new set of tires and I have asked that they take care of it so I don’t have the same issue as I have on the M6. Best of luck Road Tripper on the fix and please let us know if you find a solution.
Yes sadly DT is the worst with TPMS. They love "selling" TPMS but they are not that good at doing the RELEARNS for TPMS. If it is a car with auto relearn they have no problem. When it comes to doing a different relearn or installing sensors that someone bought from somewhere else because their prices are ridiculous, well then it is a crap shoot.

Sadly at the dealer they will get you taken care of but just at 4X the cost. TPMS from a dealer is just absurd.

Quick Reply: '13 Turbo TPMS won't reset