PCM Restarting XM radio fault?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 02:59 PM
jkf-lv
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad PCM with Early Software Version

Originally Posted by Panamera4205
Removing the HDD seems to have worked. I drove the car for about 30 minutes then turned off waited like 30 minutes restarted and left running for 15 minutes and no rebooting.
No more Navigation, but I really don’t care. Will keep you posted if something changes. Thanks again.
I'm interested to hear if this works, as I just purchased a Panamera 4s with the rebooting PCM. I replaced the HDD with a new HDD, cloned it, buttoned everything back up, and it still reboots! Ugh! The issue seems to be I need to update the software, but the system is currently on v1.35! I have scoured the web and cannot find a disk or any info on the early software versions. I might just remove the HDD and run it. Like you, I don't use the navi anyway.

If anyone knows of the software version in the 1.xx realm, I'd love to hear where v1.35 sits.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2020, 03:14 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 84 Posts

The update disk has all versions on it. There appears to be a 1.xx version on it. The iso file is onlne.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:21 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jkf-lv
I'm interested to hear if this works, as I just purchased a Panamera 4s with the rebooting PCM. I replaced the HDD with a new HDD, cloned it, buttoned everything back up, and it still reboots! Ugh! The issue seems to be I need to update the software, but the system is currently on v1.35! I have scoured the web and cannot find a disk or any info on the early software versions. I might just remove the HDD and run it. Like you, I don't use the navi anyway.

If anyone knows of the software version in the 1.xx realm, I'd love to hear where v1.35 sits.

Thanks in advance!
I asked my dealer last time they had it as I have 1.33. They told me I had the latest, which is obviously wrong if you have 1.35
I have joyeauto installed anyway, which is brilliant, so it doesn’t really make any difference!

Old 12-15-2020, 03:25 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

The update disk I have contains 1.35
Old 12-15-2020, 03:32 PM
jkf-lv
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
The update disk has all versions on it. There appears to be a 1.xx version on it. The iso file is onlne.
I grabbed an ISO from a different thread, and installed it via a DVD burn. It recognized the DVD and said it was going to install the update, jumps to 50% instantly, then completes to 100% with 15 seconds. I don't know if I have the correct files.

My search for a 1.XX version wasn't very successful, as maybe I was using the wrong keywords. :dunno:
Old 12-15-2020, 03:43 PM
jkf-lv
8th Gear

The update disk I have contains 1.35
That's good to know, as I have a line on a update disk. It could solve my issues. Otherwise, I'll remove the HDD and lose the maps feature.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:29 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Just been googling.
it’s a bit of a minefield as the same PCM can be flashed for different models - Panny, cayenne, boxter etc and they have different version numbers.
1.47 seems to be the latest but can be upgraded to 2.3something with new maps.
then there are 3. And 4. Versions which both require different (newer) hardware. All look the same on the outside....
someone with PIWIS or alldata subscriptions might be able to find out.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:47 PM
jkf-lv
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Just been googling.
it’s a bit of a minefield as the same PCM can be flashed for different models - Panny, cayenne, boxter etc and they have different version numbers.
then there are 3. And 4. Versions which both require different (newer) hardware. All look the same on the outside....
I've read that you can't jump between versions, that once in V1.xx, you can't leap to V2.xx without a trip to the dealer. I don't know if it's true, but I'm trying to stay out of the dealership if possible.

I would be happy with a working PCM, regardless of the version.

I need to look around and see if V1.47 is the max, which might make upgrading from v1.35 a little easier.

Last edited by jkf-lv; 12-15-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:50 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Let us know what you find out.
The internet is full of rubbish so it would be good to have some facts.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:17 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Just been googling.
I'm not familiar with 1.35 version and 2. xx but version 3 is for PCM with ah IDE harddrive. Version 4.xx is for the SATA hard drive.

The disk I have is 2015. There may be a newer one.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:25 PM
jkf-lv
8th Gear

I'm not familiar with 1.35 version and 2. xx but version 3 is for PCM with ah IDE harddrive. Version 4.xx is for the SATA hard drive.

The disk I have is 2015. There may be a newer one.
The drive is definitely IDE, since I just changed the original Toshiba HDD for another. I would have converted to SSD, but the IDE as cheap and seem to last.

I have a contact that should have the correct disk, so I'll visit him on Saturday to install. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-25-2020, 06:51 PM
jkf-lv
8th Gear

Default PCM Update

Update!

Just to bring everyone up to speed: PCM was resetting every 2 to 3 minutes. Cloned the IDE HDD to another Toshiba IDE HDD. PCM came back to life, but would still reboot. Double checked the HDD and the partitions, and everything is per spec. Still rebooting. Called and canceled XM, but it was still rebooting. Just checked it today, and XM is canceled and not sending broadcasts to my PCM, and the radio hasn't rebooted! My PCM is still on v1.35, and looking to update it. I still have the maps, and my iPod works, so I'm happy. I don't use XM anyway, so no loss.

Once I get the PCM updated to the lasted version in v1.xx, everything should be complete. It appears the rebooting is from XM writing to a bad portion on the new HDD, which should be resolved once the PCM is updated. Even if the PCM doesn't get updated, everything appears to be working and functioning, and going to 11! LOL!

A Christmas miracle! LOL!
Old 12-28-2020, 09:47 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jkf-lv
Update!

Just to bring everyone up to speed: PCM was resetting every 2 to 3 minutes. Cloned the IDE HDD to another Toshiba IDE HDD. PCM came back to life, but would still reboot. Double checked the HDD and the partitions, and everything is per spec. Still rebooting. Called and canceled XM, but it was still rebooting. Just checked it today, and XM is canceled and not sending broadcasts to my PCM, and the radio hasn't rebooted! My PCM is still on v1.35, and looking to update it. I still have the maps, and my iPod works, so I'm happy. I don't use XM anyway, so no loss.

Once I get the PCM updated to the lasted version in v1.xx, everything should be complete. It appears the rebooting is from XM writing to a bad portion on the new HDD, which should be resolved once the PCM is updated. Even if the PCM doesn't get updated, everything appears to be working and functioning, and going to 11! LOL!

A Christmas miracle! LOL!
you and i are on similar journeys with different vehicles. you had a rosier outcome than me. I believe the dealer can reinstall the PCM software by virtue of a DVD based firmware update written to my newly cloned (and installed) disk to escape this reboot hell.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ry-minute.html
Old 12-28-2020, 10:08 PM
jkf-lv
8th Gear

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel
you and i are on similar journeys with different vehicles. you had a rosier outcome than me. I believe the dealer can reinstall the PCM software by virtue of a DVD based firmware update written to my newly cloned (and installed) disk to escape this reboot hell.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ry-minute.html
It appears you got yours working also! Glad it worked out!

Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2021, 07:32 PM
Pany970

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
PCM functions great without it. XM Automatically drops off the menu as an option in the PCM with the card removed. I didn’t take a picture of it specifically, but you can see the Heat sink fins of it in this photo I took when installing the CarPlay upgrade.

Inside of PCM with XM radio card below the CarPlay card.
where is the daughter board in a 14” panny? Can you send pics please

Quick Reply: PCM Restarting XM radio fault?