Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

PCM Restarting XM radio fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 02:20 PM
smithsor
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 19 Posts

My reboots came back and even with the car off, the PMC keeps rebooting as I got a low voltage alert on my radar detector when starting this morning. I connected my battery charger and the battery was at 36% (sitting over the long weekend, rebooting every two minutes 10 seconds). I see the Cayenne users are pulling the fuse for PCM so that is what I'm doing today since I'm teleworking. In my 2011 970 it is Fuse #3 on the panel left end of dashboard. Can't make this stuff up.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 PM
TheBauer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Momvivant
This is what the dealer sent:
Here is the key instruction: "Please be aware this procedure will delete all presets, navigation destinations, telephones, etc., from the PCM. A PIWIS Tester II is not required to carry out the following procedure and it is also described in the PCM operator's manual under the heading "Resetting personal settings". This procedure can be carried out by the customer, the vehicle is not required to be in the workshop. - Press and hold the PCM >> Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots. - Immediately select the following from the PCM: CAR >> OPTION >>Set PCM System >>Reset PCM >> Vehicle Handover >> Yes >> Yes"

This is what Porsche NA sent:
Please perform a PCM handover (also known as a PCM hard reset):

Press and hold the PCM>>Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
Immediately select the following from the PCM CAR>>OPTION>>Set PCM System>>Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>Yes>>Yes

I am a total deuce because I only could get it to hard reboot with the 10 seconds but press Car button and then Option button did nothing - it just rebooted back to my radio stations!!

But if this helps anyone else - good luck!

this worked for me. After I press confirm (like a normal reboot / start) I go to option etc and it all worked fine. Several days without any issues.

the immediate press stuff thru me off. Just reboot it, press confirm and then options, etc and it all worked .. had to pair my phone again and other info lost was not a big deal like radio stations etc..
Old 05-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Awwdamm
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pencarrow
I spent 4 hours yesterday at my local Porsche dealers, they fixed at least 30 cars either on-site or by phone. So they know-how, but no luck with mine. 5 different techs tried, 2 calls to PNA. My car is an early 2010 apparently it has a different version PCM. My dealer is going to "bump it up to the next step" whatever that means. Other than recalls this is the first problem I have had. Great car, I love my Pany.
ANY UPDATE???
The following users liked this post:
Minimizingme (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:11 PM
pencarrow
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by smithsor
My reboots came back and even with the car off, the PMC keeps rebooting as I got a low voltage alert on my radar detector when starting this morning. I connected my battery charger and the battery was at 36% (sitting over the long weekend, rebooting every two minutes 10 seconds). I see the Cayenne users are pulling the fuse for PCM so that is what I'm doing today since I'm teleworking. In my 2011 970 it is Fuse #3 on the panel left end of dashboard. Can't make this stuff up.
I did the same today. 2010 970. Setting in the car engine off I could hear the PCM clicking (booting) the screen was blank. The GPS map is still showing my location last Thursday when things went south. Porsche and XM radio seem to have a BIG PROBLEM. The service tech at my dealer, when I asked him last Friday , if #3 fuse should be pulled, he said no. Seems no one knows what the fix is, nothing anyone has suggested has worked. I have filed a claim with Porsche NA customer services.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:16 AM
Crom2k
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I’m just lucky. Porsche Service Advisor called me and walked me through the procedure. 3 days in and working fine.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:54 AM
Darklockz
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crom2k
I guess I’m just lucky. Porsche Service Advisor called me and walked me through the procedure. 3 days in and working fine.

I did the procedure... it wont reboot can listen to music without interruption but i still have the unit goin full spin every 5 min or so..
Old 05-27-2020, 01:46 PM
barracuda68
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

2014 Base Carerra, hard reset worked fine.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Chris Tallman
2nd Gear

2015 Cayman S daily driver....I did the hard reset last week. After resetting radio stations, personal settings, bluetooth set up, etc. everything went back to normal. I thought the every 3 minute reboot problem was solved. It was for 4 days and it started rebooting again. Once again I did the hard reset and everything is fine for now. Be advised this is a temporary fix so you can probably expect the issue to happen again like it did me. My dealership advisor in Atlanta has no answer other than Porsche North America is looking into the problem.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:38 PM
Shrike071
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Does the vehicle handover process also reset the PDK?
Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 AM
smithsor
Advanced

I don't think so. Do you mean the PDK "learning" based on your driving style?
Old 05-28-2020, 10:06 AM
Shrike071
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by smithsor
I don't think so. Do you mean the PDK "learning" based on your driving style?
Yessir. I ask because after I did the handover, I noticed an ever so slight lag between my foot being removed from the brake and the clutch engaging fully. I did a full PDK reset last night, so maybe it'll go away. That, or maybe its just me being super sensitive.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 AM
smithsor
Advanced

Sirius XM spokesperson....
The following 4 users liked this post by smithsor:
DogWood (05-28-2020), Momvivant (06-02-2020), Noah Fect (05-30-2020), pencarrow (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 PM
pencarrow
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

Has anyone really resolved this problem? If so,,,,,,year model and how.
still dead
FR
Old 05-28-2020, 05:03 PM
VerbalKarate
2nd Gear

Default Suspend or cancel SiriusXM

The best action is to suspend or cancel SiriusXM for a month. Worked like a charm. And I didn't have to reset my radio stations or my bluetooth settings. Eff them. If we all did it, I bet we'd get a fix and some communication from them, quick!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:04 PM
stealthn
Advanced

Happening to my 2010 PTT. Tried the reset on the PCM no joy, took it to friends at Lamborghini who had a PIWIS, tried resetting with it, no joy. On the phone with Sirius now to get the service suspended. They blame it on Porsche, Porsche blames it on them. Frickin stupid!!

Sirius is refusing to suspend the service, so I am cancelling it outright.

Quick Reply: PCM Restarting XM radio fault?