Panamera 2010-Current

What is a PIWIS and why you or your mechanic has to have one

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 09:26 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts
Default What is a PIWIS and why you or your mechanic has to have one

A PIWIS is the factory developed diagnostic and repair tool. It stands for Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System. Porsche dealer technicians use this tool to perform a multitude of diagnostic and repair functions on your car. There are 3 generations of testers, the original which I believe can handle cars up to the 2014 model year, the PIWIS II which handles cars up to and including the 2017 model year and the current PIWIS III which handles all cars including the 2020 model year. Naturally if your car is under warranty, then you don't need this tool. Let the dealer handle any issues that come up. However, if you have a Porsche which is off warranty, watch out, your dealer charges crazy high hourly rates, mine is currently at $269 an hour, and also charges you parts at full retail. Go to a dealer for a brake job, and he will quote you $4000. You can do it yourself for $600, $900 with factory parts. Need an O2 sensor changed? There are 4 on a Porsche and the dealer will quote you $1200 for one, and then will recommend that they be changed in pairs so now you are looking at $2,400. A quick lookup on Rockauto.com shows you can buy a Bosch OEM O2 sensor for $60. Luckily, the 02 sensor change does not require a PIWIS but the rear rotors do as many have discovered here after doing their brakes. As many of you have noted, you can only lease a PIWIS from Porsche if you are a member of their PPN. Porsche Partner Network. Your local shop can apply to become a member and then pay $18,000 for his tester for the first year and $12,000 a year after that. Very few shops will pay that to repair only one model of car. Luckily our friends in China have cloned the PIWIS. It's a little buggy and wont update since you aren't connected to the PPN but the Chinese have disabled the function which tells the interface tool to check with the factory to see if it is legit. What is it, it's basically a pc with some added software and a special interface between the car and the PC The PIWIS II is a Vista based ( yikes) windows pc The Chinese have improved on it, adding an SSD and some have updated the OS to Windows 7 but I don't recommend that version. The PIWIS III I haven't seen yet so I don't know if it is still a windows pc. Both version have a multimeter function built in but the Chinese version of the PIWIS II doesn't ship with those cables. The PIWIS III has a built in multimeter and oscilloscope and the cables are included. You see the interface online for the PIWIS II for $369 but that doesn't include the necessary software. Buy the entire device for $769 which includes a pc, software, interface and car connect cables. A PIWIS III sells for $1999 down from $6500 last year. Look at this web site as an example of how sophisticated the clone market is. Buy-piwis.com You cant tell the difference between a factory tool and a clone. Now why do you or your mechanic need one? Well here's what you can do without one

Change spark plugs and ignition coils. (The engine module is self calibrating and will learn new parts automatically)
Change front rotors and pads
Change switches,
Change washers, wipers window motors, door locks
Change most engine sensors
Change your own oil (but you wont be able to reset the service interval)
Change differential oil
Change battery (But you wont be able to tell the car you changed it)
Change bulbs

Here are some basic things that you can do that require a PIWIS
Change the rear rotors
Change any suspension parts
Change seat motors
Change any control modules (There are 27 of them) All need to be coded with the VIN of the car
Change the battery and record the change with the gateway module
Reset the service interval
Change the PDK oil
Change headlight components that aren't bulbs
Change clock spring ( will require codes which only the dealer can get but you can buy from the Chinese

Most importantly, as many of you have discovered, it is nearly impossible to diagnose repair issues without one. The Durametric device just doesn't come close to providing the information you need and many of the error code labels it provides are simply wrong and will lead you changing parts that don't need changing. At $769 which is less than 3 hours labor, you can see everything a dealer can see about your car. I have a 2 and I'm going to a 3. If anyone is interested, I can try to post a video of the PIWIS II. It has a simulation mode for training purposes which is helpful. There are 4 programs in the PIWIS, the diagnostic, which is the main program for service, a wiring diagram program, a fault finding program which I haven't found to be useful running offline and the multimeter function.
If you an share one with a buddy or some Porsche meetup groups that would be ideal. My recommendation, don't let anyone do repairs on your car that doesn't have one.
Here are some basic pictures

This is a PIWIS II whcih was orignially on a Panasonic toughbook shown hee

The menu options

This is the unit going into the diagnostic program and it shows a picture of the interface.

Parking brake module extended Identications. This is where you can change the VIN on a used part or add it for a new part

The following 7 users liked this post by rbrunelle:
cbwinters01 (02-26-2020), Deezflip (02-26-2020), DogWood (02-26-2020), FNTSTK 4 (02-27-2020), frederickcook87 (02-18-2022), JBKauai (09-12-2022), roddylennox (04-11-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2020, 10:12 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

I forgot to mention that you will need a high quality 55 amp or more battery charger if you plan on programming any modules.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
I forgot to mention that you will need a high quality 55 amp or more battery charger if you plan on programming any modules.
Any info on why it requires PIWIS to do a PDK oil change? Thanks
Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

you can actually do the PDK fluid change without the PIWIIS , well a simple fluid change, you might need it if you replace the PDK filter
Old 02-26-2020, 08:51 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Deezflip
Any info on why it requires PIWIS to do a PDK oil change? Thanks
the reason you might want a PIWIS for the fluid change is to monitor oil temperature. The V8 needs the oil to be a certain temperature for all the oil in the cooler to drain. The v6 wants a certain temperature to be hit behold you check the level in the top up procedure. In both cases you could likely run the car for ten miles to achieve the temperature

Last edited by rbrunelle; 02-27-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 895 Posts

Does this unit provide service instructions (for example, step by step instructions on how to replace the battery), and a parts catalog/diagram system?

Looking for something analogous to Mercedes WIS (service docs), EPC (parts catalog) and Xentry/DAS (OBD diagnostics).
Old 02-26-2020, 09:27 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Those are three different things in the Porsche world. The parts catalogue is available for $20 it’s called PET2. The workshop instructions are also available. I found mine for $20. 20,000 page pdf

Last edited by rbrunelle; 02-27-2020 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (12-16-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 12:31 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

I need to talk my CFO into allocating the funds for a PIWIS II

I plan on keeping my Pan for quite some time and she has made noises about ti being my "last" Porsche, so I think I can make strong case for one
incorigeable (11-07-2021)
Old 02-27-2020, 01:30 PM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi rbrunelle. As I'm researching this myself, given that you don't have a model year that requires it, what is driving you to upgrade from piwis II, to piwis III? Is it just this: "The PIWIS III has a built in multimeter and oscilloscope and the cables are included.", or other factors that you can note here, for reference?
Thanks again!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:07 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for all the info. Very useful.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:25 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by cbwinters01
Hi rbrunelle. As I'm researching this myself, given that you don't have a model year that requires it, what is driving you to upgrade from piwis II, to piwis III? Is it just this: "The PIWIS III has a built in multimeter and oscilloscope and the cables are included.", or other factors that you can note here, for reference?
Thanks again!
I also have a 2018 Macan that requires the 3. I hope to help people in my community and I also plan to rebuild another. I’m excited my PIWIS III arrives tomorrow. I will review after I test it out. I have PSM module arriving Saturday that will need the module replacement procedure
Paul D. (04-03-2024)
Old 02-27-2020, 03:08 PM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you again!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 AM
rbhinvt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rbrunell, since you are getting the PIWIS III are you interested in selling your PIWIS II? I have a 99 Boxster and don’t need the newest version. Just would like something to diagnose my classic.

Thanks and good luck with your PIWIS III
Old 03-01-2020, 02:18 PM
rbhinvt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am looking for is something that will reset the air bag light on my 99 Boxster as well as allow me to check the condition of components such as the engine compartment temp sensor or blower, coolant level sensor, etc. Will the Durametric enthusiasts allow me to do that? Or would I need the Professional version?

Or will the Durametric do the sensor condition check at all? Do I need a PIWIS to do that level of diagnostics? Will any of these other tools like the icarsoft por II do component diagnostics? It sounds like coding components with the VIN can only be done with the PIWIS. Is that needed for a ‘99? Or is that more for newer models?

I am new to the Porsche repair world and it has been a bit of an eye opener for me to see just how heavily dependent a 20 year old car is on these manufacturer specific diagnostic tools. I have usually been able to figure out most issues with a standard ODB II reader before acquiring my Boxster.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2020, 11:25 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by rbhinvt
What I am looking for is something that will reset the air bag light on my 99 Boxster as well as allow me to check the condition of components such as the engine compartment temp sensor or blower, coolant level sensor, etc. Will the Durametric enthusiasts allow me to do that? Or would I need the Professional version?

Or will the Durametric do the sensor condition check at all? Do I need a PIWIS to do that level of diagnostics? Will any of these other tools like the icarsoft por II do component diagnostics? It sounds like coding components with the VIN can only be done with the PIWIS. Is that needed for a ‘99? Or is that more for newer models?

I am new to the Porsche repair world and it has been a bit of an eye opener for me to see just how heavily dependent a 20 year old car is on these manufacturer specific diagnostic tools. I have usually been able to figure out most issues with a standard ODB II reader before acquiring my Boxster.

Thanks
Durametric can erase faults if they are not active and can show you most temperature information. I started with this tool. What it cannot do is program any replacement parts that need programming. The professional tool can but it costs nore than an PIWIS 2 so don't buy that.
Heegoogoo1 (12-16-2020)

Quick Reply: What is a PIWIS and why you or your mechanic has to have one