Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Thinking about buying a high mileage Panamera..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a high mileage Panamera..

..and had a few questions.

I currently own a 2007 911 Turbo and a 2012 Mini Cooper S as my daily. I'm thinking recently of selling the Mini and buying a Panamera or a Range Rover Evoque. The Mini is just way too small as a duty friendly and family capable daily driver.

Problem is, my budget is under $30K, and I know nothing about Panameras. I figure in my budget I am looking at 2010-2012 Panamera base models (no S) with anywhere from 60K-100K miles. I did come across this one which caught my attention, as the price seems very low:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Paname...wAAOSwsRlcwrjC

Obviously the high miles is a large contributing factor to the low price. Is it best to stay away from something like this? What do these cars repair bills and common issues look like over 100K miles? In general, what do I need to know about Panamera common issues and what should I look at as a new buyer?
Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts

Having seen some of the maintenance/repair bills, I wouldn't buy any Porsche without a warranty of some kind. At the very least, see if there is some CPO one that can cover you.
The following users liked this post:
dweeb (10-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also buy a Fidelity Platinum warranty, but they get expensive on high mileage cars.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

A lot of things that can go wrong, and in general the car is reliable, are just as expensive in the base model as they are in the Turbo S. The 2010-2011 models worked out the most issues so you'd want to make sure there is a clear service history and that all known issues were dealt with, on previous owners dimes, as well as all maintenance has been performed on schedule. Just know that its going to cost more to own than a typical used car in the $30,000 range. Mini's aren't exactly a cheap car to own either.....
Old 05-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. I feel that I should add, I own a 911 Turbo so I'm familiar with the high costs of ownership of any Porsche. I am a DIYer and do all my own work on all my cars. I'm not afraid of cars with no warranty. I guess what I was asking specifically is if anyone had any background or knowledge on common issues and things to look out for through the model years of Panamera's. Also, what years are better than others, and why? (i.e. improvements from one year to the next in features, etc.). Lastly, what implications of buying a high mile (100K+) Panamera, if any should I be aware of? Common issues at that high of a mileage? Should I absolutely steer clear of the white one I linked to?
Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Recalls 2010-2012 turbo models - cam adjuster bolt, Turbo S, turbo itself

Air suspension compressor motor, "block" lines, and shocks start to go at higher mileage. I'd say have of the posts about "issues" are with the active suspension systems and specifically the air suspension system. There are lots of trouble shooting posts too on how to deal with it.

All higher mileage cars have front suspension noise from cracked bushing. It doesn't effect performance.

Coolant pipe glue gets old and some cars have dumped coolant while being driven

Not too many issues with the PDK or motor itself at all. Overall reliable car as the Porsche brand always is.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

as Paul stated the biggest issues seems to be the air suspension and the Coolant pipe, everything else is pretty reliable for the most part (even Porsche produces the occasional lemon) and the usual wear and tear items.
Since you are a DIY guy I wouldn't be too worried about a higher mileage car.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Regarding the coolant pipe issue is it an engine out repair like the 911s? They sound like pretty reliable cars minus a few common issues.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:04 PM
fatpan
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat3d M
Regarding the coolant pipe issue is it an engine out repair like the 911s? They sound like pretty reliable cars minus a few common issues.

take a look here. No engine does not have to come out. <--------click
Old 05-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Originally Posted by Rat3d M
Not unless you blow up the engine in the process!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:15 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Opportune thread, I'm looking too. I found a 2010 4S with 58,000 miles in my area. I got a quote from my credit union for a "gold" protection plan (he told me they can warranty <100k cars) for it for $7676 for 48mos/50k miles/$100 deductible. I have submitted a request to fidelity, but they have not responded after a few days.

I can work on cars, like OP (though no previous porsches), so I'm thinking I can keep the $7k in pocket as a repair fund and likely not need that much. This car had the front end arms replaced, the cam screw recall is still open, and I'm having a knowledgeable indy shop check it out tomorrow, so hopefully they can tell me about coolant pipes & state of the air suspension.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a high mileage Panamera..