Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 02:42 AM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I was in a new Panamera 4 E-Hybrid at a dealership yesterday, and traffic was displayed on the Google satellite map -- I checked. And I'm pretty sure there was only the embedded card.
Has anybody else with a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid found that traffic (meaning color-coded to show traffic flow) found that it works with only the embedded card? I'm wondering if I should just order the pop-in SIM card just in case (for my new car, which is on the ship now). (I don't need a wifi hotspot from the car, so wouldn't get the pop-in card for that alone, but I do want the traffic-flow colors on my map.)
google earth is a great feature too. Not as necessary as live traffic, but more impressive
Old 05-09-2018, 01:34 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Need the data for google earth

Last edited by jtorrebl; 05-09-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:56 PM
CaptB412
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I just took delivery of my 4S on Monday and I only have the embedded card, but google earth (with traffic info) seems to be working. I was advised that the embedded sims do in fact have a trial period on them. I also downloaded the one app that "pairs" with the porsche connect app (as opposed to the porsche car connect app (which service is through vodafone). I can put an address in the connect app and it appears in the nav on the car. Now as for the porsche car connect app - that is a totally different story and have no clue. It is my understanding that the car comes with a 12 month trial and if you want to renew it is $190/year (all using the embedded card). Now, if you want to turn your car into a wifi hotspot I was told I would need to get the additional sim card. Not sure how accurate all this is, but...it is working for now.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I was in a new Panamera 4 E-Hybrid at a dealership yesterday, and traffic was displayed on the Google satellite map -- I checked. And I'm pretty sure there was only the embedded card.
Has anybody else with a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid found that traffic (meaning color-coded to show traffic flow) found that it works with only the embedded card? I'm wondering if I should just order the pop-in SIM card just in case (for my new car, which is on the ship now). (I don't need a wifi hotspot from the car, so wouldn't get the pop-in card for that alone, but I do want the traffic-flow colors on my map.)
When I drove up from the LA Porsche Experience Center in Torrance with my new car, I was going to just proceed up 405 to 5. My PEC instructor Zach suggested I use the Navigation and see what it recommended at it was 11:00 am on a Friday. Anyway, the system sent me on a different route with many freeway/highway changes and it did show the traffic colors, etc. very accurately. No external sim card. That said I am having trouble getting the Porsche Connect App to work and be able to use my phone to check on battery charging, etc. Going for a Second Delivery Session soon up here at the Fremont Porsche Center.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:45 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by CaptB412
I just took delivery of my 4S on Monday and I only have the embedded card, but google earth (with traffic info) seems to be working. I was advised that the embedded sims do in fact have a trial period on them. I also downloaded the one app that "pairs" with the porsche connect app (as opposed to the porsche car connect app (which service is through vodafone). I can put an address in the connect app and it appears in the nav on the car. Now as for the porsche car connect app - that is a totally different story and have no clue. It is my understanding that the car comes with a 12 month trial and if you want to renew it is $190/year (all using the embedded card). Now, if you want to turn your car into a wifi hotspot I was told I would need to get the additional sim card. Not sure how accurate all this is, but...it is working for now.
Everything you wrote is consistent with what I was told by the Porsche Connect representative I spoke with last week except she told me after the first year it would cost $189 per year thereafter. And I did see the Porsche Car Connect App which is through Vodaphone which has no value for us in the US. But my other "Connect" app doesn't seem to be able to connect with the embedded sim card?? Are you using it with your phone connected to the USB slot or in Bluetooth mode? I've tried it both ways and can't seem to get it to connect. Interstingly when I do hook it up via USB I do get the ability to use Amazon Music via Apple Play. And I am getting the traffic info when using the navigation system.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 AM
CaptB412
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Everything you wrote is consistent with what I was told by the Porsche Connect representative I spoke with last week except she told me after the first year it would cost $189 per year thereafter. And I did see the Porsche Car Connect App which is through Vodaphone which has no value for us in the US. But my other "Connect" app doesn't seem to be able to connect with the embedded sim card?? Are you using it with your phone connected to the USB slot or in Bluetooth mode? I've tried it both ways and can't seem to get it to connect. Interstingly when I do hook it up via USB I do get the ability to use Amazon Music via Apple Play. And I am getting the traffic info when using the navigation system.
I have my phone connected to via blue tooth. The "only" thing that the Porsche Connect App appears to be useful for is searching destinations. I admit it works a little strange. I can put in an address and search for it and once it I have it as a destination, it appears in the nav system with a red "start" button. I have hooked up my iphone x via usb to try apple play (though I am not sure that I will actually use it that way much). I was a little interested in the Porsche Car Connect App as it appeared that you could control more car functions, but seemed way too much work to figure out for any use.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:57 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

I have my phone connected to via blue tooth. The "only" thing that the Porsche Connect App appears to be useful for is searching destinations. I admit it works a little strange. I can put in an address and search for it and once it I have it as a destination, it appears in the nav system with a red "start" button. I have hooked up my iphone x via usb to try apple play (though I am not sure that I will actually use it that way much). I was a little interested in the Porsche Car Connect App as it appeared that you could control more car functions, but seemed way too much work to figure out for any use.
apple CarPlay is useful when you’re sent an address via text or email, you just click on it. Apple maps opens it automatically then if connected to CarPlay you can just start your drive with turn by turn instructions. You won’t have to copy paste the address into the porsche app or type the address Into the car’s factory navigation.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:01 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

car connect app gives you remote control and data on your car. It does work in USA cars. I’m in LA

Last edited by jtorrebl; 05-10-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:08 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

connect app seems to have to be connected via you car’s WiFi to the phone for it to work. Just set it up this am. I’ll turn off the WiFi later to see if the save navigation POI will save to the car later, but prob not.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:56 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "only" thing that the Porsche Connect App appears to be useful for is searching destinations.
If you want to use Amazon Radio, radio.net or Napster and/or do not want to use Amazon Radio through the Apple Car Play app, then you need the Porsche Connect app on your phone. What isn't initially clear is that you don't actually do anything with the app after setting it up for music the first time. (Go to the "Me" tab, click "PCM Services" and log in to any or all of those 3 music services.) After that, if you have set up the phone to connect to the car's wifi, you don't actively need to click on the Porsche Connect app ever again. In my experience, if you connect your phone to wifi using the built-in SIM card, you will not access the internet in a manner that will allow you to use any of these music services - although some other PCM internet functions such as Twitter feeds and Google maps may work for you. To access the internet with sufficient bandwidth to use these music apps without Apple Car Play, I needed to get the removable AT&T SIM from Porsche.

Why would you want to use the PCM for these music apps instead of Apple Car Play? First, with Apple Car Play, you are using your phone's cellular data to access the internet, which can be expensive if you don't have an unlimited data plan. Second, I think the PCM interface is much more attractive and desirable than Apple Car Play's. If you are connected via Apple Car Play, you CANNOT use the Porsche PCM phone interface - where you have nice profile pictures of your contacts, and people's pictures appear when they call you. You have to use Apple Car Play's Phone app for phone calls. I have found that the PCM voice control gets wonky because of Siri also being available. If you have music favorites set up on your home screen, Apple Car Play doesn't have favorites, so there will be an error on your home page. There are other annoyances of Apple Play to me, but to each their own. I still use it occasionally for Audible and Slacker though

Last edited by P-Drooler; 05-10-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes this was my impression too. Embedded sim is really just for the hotspot. Our three months/3gb allowance are gone (sign up with att if we want more) and I still have access to weather and poi, news etc. The free one year “vodaphone” trial should cover these types of apps.

on a side note, I don’t see google maps there in the apps section in the car menu. Can it replace the in car navigation? That’d be sweet
Old 05-11-2018, 09:37 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by Aviaros21

yes this was my impression too. Embedded sim is really just for the hotspot. Our three months/3gb allowance are gone (sign up with att if we want more) and I still have access to weather and poi, news etc. The free one year “vodaphone” trial should cover these types of apps.

on a side note, I don’t see google maps there in the apps section in the car menu. Can it replace the in car navigation? That’d be sweet
So it turns out I was wrong about the Car Connect App (Vodaphone). It is intended for US usage. I have been working with Gus at Porsche Connect Support and he has set up everything for me. All I have to do is take my car into the dealership and have the "installation Code" put in and then I will receive an "Activation Code" which will allow me to use the app and access my car through my iPhone as shown in the examples above.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Gus was our go to guy too haha, good man.
Yeah the dealer code should’ve been done when you took delivery. Ours didn’t work for almost two months at first, something with Porsche and them not being able to connect to the car. But once you get the access codes you’re all set.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by Aviaros21
Gus was our go to guy too haha, good man.
Yeah the dealer code should’ve been done when you took delivery. Ours didn’t work for almost two months at first, something with Porsche and them not being able to connect to the car. But once you get the access codes you’re all set.
Thanks. Gus has been very helpful. Once you had the Car Connect App set up, did you have to use your iPhone's "Personal Hotspot" to have it connect to the internet or does the embedded sim do it all by itself?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Thanks. Gus has been very helpful. Once you had the Car Connect App set up, did you have to use your iPhone's "Personal Hotspot" to have it connect to the internet or does the embedded sim do it all by itself?
unfortunately i forget. It was in and out of the shop so many times just to get it initially set up, it’s all a blur now

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot