Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:48 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Drooler
I talked to my local dealer yesterday and he arranged for the SIM to be sent out from corporate (I assume). It arrived via FedEx today - sooner than I expected. The AT&T SIM was in a little Porsche/AT&T branded envelope and attached to a 2-sided "brochure" card about wireless connectivity. The dealer implied it was just for creating a hotspot for the driver and passengers, but I figured I'd try it ... and it worked - giving me connectivity to Amazon Music and radio.net, which was my goal.
So I am also a Verizon user. The AT&T Sim card they sent you; is there a monthly charge? Can I use the AT&T Sim card in the car even though I have Verizon on my iPhone?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:17 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
So I am also a Verizon user. The AT&T Sim card they sent you; is there a monthly charge? Can I use the AT&T Sim card in the car even though I have Verizon on my iPhone?
I'm sure you can use the AT&T SIM card. It is used to connect the PCM WiFi to the internet. Once it is set up, your phone will connect to the WiFi (and thus access to the internet) irrespective of your cell provider.

When you get the SIM, keep the "CCIM" number from the SIM handy - it's printed on the credit card sized holder that you pop the SIM card out of. Put the SIM into the slot in the glove box and direct your phone to connect to the car wifi. The name and password is the same one you probably already set up through the PCM device manager for the embedded SIM. Your phone will (after a brief but initially concerning delay) automatically take you to my.vehicle.att.com where you will ultimately make an account. It will first have you select the vehicle make. Then you enter the CCIM number and it should say you have 3 free months (or 3GB) of usage before having to pay. As I recall, the choice was $10/month for 1GB or $20/month for unlimited. You don't have to select or pay anything until the trial period expires. I happen to have AT&T and still had to make a new account for this service.

TIP on AT&T SIM Setup: One mistake I made was not having a second way to access email in the car when I set it up the first time. During the activation process, AT&T sends a verification number to your email address that you need to enter. When I used my phone to go to email, the AT&T account setup screen closed and I had to start all over again. If you can check your email separately and then enter the code during the account setup process, it should go much more smoothly
The following users liked this post:
Videoassets (12-07-2020)
Old 04-25-2018, 05:16 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure you can use the AT&T SIM card. It is used to connect the PCM WiFi to the internet. Once it is set up, your phone will connect to the WiFi (and thus access to the internet) irrespective of your cell provider.

When you get the SIM, keep the "CCIM" number from the SIM handy - it's printed on the credit card sized holder that you pop the SIM card out of. Put the SIM into the slot in the glove box and direct your phone to connect to the car wifi. The name and password is the same one you probably already set up through the PCM device manager for the embedded SIM. Your phone will (after a brief but initially concerning delay) automatically take you to my.vehicle.att.com where you will ultimately make an account. It will first have you select the vehicle make. Then you enter the CCIM number and it should say you have 3 free months (or 3GB) of usage before having to pay. As I recall, the choice was $10/month for 1GB or $20/month for unlimited. You don't have to select or pay anything until the trial period expires. I happen to have AT&T and still had to make a new account for this service.

TIP on AT&T SIM Setup: One mistake I made was not having a second way to access email in the car when I set it up the first time. During the activation process, AT&T sends a verification number to your email address that you need to enter. When I used my phone to go to email, the AT&T account setup screen closed and I had to start all over again. If you can check your email separately and then enter the code during the account setup process, it should go much more smoothly
just set up the att sim account an another computer. Much easier

Last edited by jtorrebl; 05-03-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:19 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Question: Can you use the internal SIM to set up the AT&T (or Verizon, T-Mobile, etc) account? i.e. use the CCIM number of the SIM that came with the car to create the wireless account?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Originally Posted by fgv1it
Question: Can you use the internal SIM to set up the AT&T (or Verizon, T-Mobile, etc) account? i.e. use the CCIM number of the SIM that came with the car to create the wireless account?
No clue if it is an AT&T SIM or how you would get the CCIM number. It only took a day to get the proper SIM from Porsche after asking my dealer, so in comparison to waiting for the car, pretty much instantaneous
Old 05-01-2018, 06:37 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

No clue if it is an AT&T SIM or how you would get the CCIM number. It only took a day to get the proper SIM from Porsche after asking my dealer, so in comparison to waiting for the car, pretty much instantaneous
So I asked my Dealer about the AT&T Sim card and he told me you don't need it; the embedded Sim card should do everything perfectly. I then called Porsche Connect Support and they told me the same thing. She said the 2018 cars don't need the AT&T Sim card. So I will wait until I get my car back from the detailer and see what happens.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 PM
appenzell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I asked my Dealer about the AT&T Sim card and he told me you don't need it; the embedded Sim card should do everything perfectly. I then called Porsche Connect Support and they told me the same thing. She said the 2018 cars don't need the AT&T Sim card. So I will wait until I get my car back from the detailer and see what happens.
I just got my car yesterday and the dealer gave me a ATT Sim Card that I had to activate at http://www.att.com/porsche. That then enables Google Earth and the Wifi Hotspot. If I remove the sim card the NAV tells me that Google Earth is going offline so it definitively uses it.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

So I asked my Dealer about the AT&T Sim card, and he told me you don't need it; the embedded Sim card should do everything perfectly. I then called Porsche Connect Support, and they told me the same thing. She said the 2018 cars don't need the AT&T Sim card. So I will wait until I get my car back from the detailer and see what happens.
Mine too! When I asked them for the sim card, they said that sim is embedded and google map won't show life traffic. I don't know why there is a discrepancy between some dealers and Porsche.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:58 AM
kgtheraad
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious... My car is still on the boat but i was wondering, i am a tmobile Customer, can i order a data sim from tmobile and use that instead of an att sim and have the same functionality ?
Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 AM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Originally Posted by kgtheraad
Just curious... My car is still on the boat but i was wondering, i am a tmobile Customer, can i order a data sim from tmobile and use that instead of an att sim and have the same functionality ?
i asked porsche this and the girl with support said she wasn’t sure.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:37 AM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Originally Posted by crack3rd
Mine too! When I asked them for the sim card, they said that sim is embedded and google map won't show life traffic. I don't know why there is a discrepancy between some dealers and Porsche.
wow dealers?! With the att card you have google earth and live traffic. As well as all the apps like Twitter, etc

Last edited by jtorrebl; 05-03-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:21 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

Originally Posted by jtorrebl

wow dealers?! Win the att card you have google earth and live traffic. As well as all the apps like Twitter, etc
From what I know, the dealerships are supposed to provide us the att sim card for a "trial" period, but I never received one. I was told that the sim is embedded and I don't need one. I can use the navigation, but traffic is not updated. I can't see myself paying $10/$20 monthly just to have updated traffic and other apps when I can use my phone.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:53 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Originally Posted by crack3rd
From what I know, the dealerships are supposed to provide us the att sim card for a "trial" period, but I never received one. I was told that the sim is embedded and I don't need one. I can use the navigation, but traffic is not updated. I can't see myself paying $10/$20 monthly just to have updated traffic and other apps when I can use my phone.
seeing the live traffic and google earth on the HUGE pcm screen is helpful and impressive though. Much better than on a small phone. It’s only $240 per year. We’ve already spent so much in the car . What with spending some change for full functionality. I didn’t want to have another monthly recurring charge but thinking about it the yearly cost wasn’t much.
the apps were gimmicky but there once you have traffic anyway.
i really wanted that gracenote album art to update my new tracks in music but it doesn’t work.

Last edited by jtorrebl; 05-05-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:13 AM
P-Drooler
Track Day

I can't explain why different dealers have different knowledge. Mine wasn't sure why the apps didn't work for me and made a call to someone at Porsche. Ten minutes later, my salesperson advised me that Porsche would send me a SIM card via FedEx. I received it the following day, mounted in a fully branded, custom brochure about the Porsche Connect service, with a Porsche vehicle image and AT&T logos all over it. It wasn't just a SIM card in a generic envelope .. it was in Porsche Connect-specific, thoughtfully prepared packaging.

The pre-installed, non-removable SIM does NOT allow your phone's Porsche Connect app to access the internet through the PCM. Therefore you will not be able to use apps like Amazon Music or radio.net, and apparently Google Traffic. You need the removable, pop-in SIM. Sorry if it the service is through AT&T and you use a different carrier for your cell service. It's really not a big deal to register and make an account for it with AT&T. They automatically give you 3 months free or XX GB of usage before you have to pay.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:32 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I was in a new Panamera 4 E-Hybrid at a dealership yesterday, and traffic was displayed on the Google satellite map -- I checked. And I'm pretty sure there was only the embedded card.
Has anybody else with a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid found that traffic (meaning color-coded to show traffic flow) found that it works with only the embedded card? I'm wondering if I should just order the pop-in SIM card just in case (for my new car, which is on the ship now). (I don't need a wifi hotspot from the car, so wouldn't get the pop-in card for that alone, but I do want the traffic-flow colors on my map.)

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot