Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts
Default 2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot

An extended review of my new 2018 Panamera will follow, but in the meantime wanted to post the following question:

2018 Panamera with Premium Package Plus, which includes Porsche Connect Plus. In Device Manager, it appears I have an embedded SIM. Under the Data column, a graphic of a SIM appears and it is Green. If I touch select the SIM it turns white. If I touch select it again, it says Connection Establishing, then turns Green.

I can connect to the Porsche hotspot using the WLAN and Password. However, when I try to load a webpage using the Porsche hotspot, nothing happens, and I'm not connected to the internet.

Anyone know why? Note: I have not registered as yet with ATT.com/Porsche. According to other posts here on RL, I am supposed to get the identifying number off the SIM card and register it at that site. Note also, I am not an existing AT&T customer. I am with Verizon.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Patriot; 02-22-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

It all sounds normal. You have a LAN in the car, but that LAN isn't connected to the internet because the SIM has not yet been activated with a cell carrier. You should have a three-month or 3 GB free trial period with ATT, it comes with the new car. After that, you may want to see if Verizon can give you a subscription to the SIM in the car. In my case, I was already an ATT customer, and ATT added the car to my normal cell service for $10 a month. Verizon probably has something similar.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:18 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YoungTurk

An extended review of my new 2018 Panamera will follow, but in the meantime wanted to post the following question:

2018 Panamera with Premium Package Plus, which includes Porsche Connect Plus. In Device Manager, it appears I have an embedded SIM. Under the Data column, a graphic of a SIM appears and it is Green. If I touch select the SIM it turns white. If I touch select it again, it says Connection Establishing, then turns Green.

I can connect to the Porsche hotspot using the WLAN and Password. However, when I try to load a webpage using the Porsche hotspot, nothing happens, and I'm not connected to the internet.

Anyone know why? Note: I have not registered as yet with ATT.com/Porsche. According to other posts here on RL, I am supposed to get the identifying number off the SIM card and register it at that site. Note also, I am not an existing AT&T customer. I am with Verizon.

Any help is appreciated.
I'm in the same situation as you. I asked my dealer about it and he had no clue. He just tells me that the sim is embedded and doesn't require activation. He asked me to call 1-800-PORSCHE and asked them what the problem was. I gave them a call and their response was that they are trying out new things and haven't activated the sim card. I might call them again to ask about it. Let me know if you have more information.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:51 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Open glovebox, there is slot that says "Sim" - see if there is one in there. If not, buy one with data and put one in. It then unlocks much of the functionality - Googlemaps, over the air updates, Wifi Hotspot etc.

The Wifi otherwise is for your phone to connect to the car so that Porsche Connect can work - this unlocks some more functionality. Your calendar, music services etc. I note that Amazon Music is now available through the PCM. Still not Spotify (for non-iPhone users) but a nice addition.

The dealer knowledge is very bad indeed.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crack3rd
I'm in the same situation as you. I asked my dealer about it and he had no clue. He just tells me that the sim is embedded and doesn't require activation. He asked me to call 1-800-PORSCHE and asked them what the problem was. I gave them a call and their response was that they are trying out new things and haven't activated the sim card. I might call them again to ask about it. Let me know if you have more information.
Still nothing on my end. Let's let the other know what we find out.
Found this thread on MacanForum: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/elec...ded-sim-2.html
Old 02-23-2018, 07:34 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Open glovebox, there is slot that says "Sim" - see if there is one in there. If not, buy one with data and put one in. It then unlocks much of the functionality - Googlemaps, over the air updates, Wifi Hotspot etc.

The Wifi otherwise is for your phone to connect to the car so that Porsche Connect can work - this unlocks some more functionality. Your calendar, music services etc. I note that Amazon Music is now available through the PCM. Still not Spotify (for non-iPhone users) but a nice addition.

Thank you for the tip. I am not an AT&T customer (Verizon), but I may go to an AT&T store to get the SIM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01

^^^ This
Old 04-23-2018, 04:10 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Sorry to slightly necromance this thread, but just got my vehicle over the weekend. Have you guys figured this out yet? I can connect my phone to the wifi hotspot of the car. It does not allow me to access the internet from the phone. I am getting weather/twitter feeds on the PCM OK, but it will not load Amazon Music or radio.net. My dealer said that an AT&T SIM will be mailed to me. If I pop that in the slot and activate it, I am hoping that it will allow me to access those other services.

s a follow-up, if I am streaming music from my phone via bluetooth, if the phone connects to the integrated SIM wifi, the audio shuts off. I'm hoping that isn't as intended.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:24 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Drooler
Sorry to slightly necromance this thread, but just got my vehicle over the weekend. Have you guys figured this out yet? I can connect my phone to the wifi hotspot of the car. It does not allow me to access the internet from the phone. I am getting weather/twitter feeds on the PCM OK, but it will not load Amazon Music or radio.net. My dealer said that an AT&T SIM will be mailed to me. If I pop that in the slot and activate it, I am hoping that it will allow me to access those other services.

s a follow-up, if I am streaming music from my phone via bluetooth, if the phone connects to the integrated SIM wifi, the audio shuts off. I'm hoping that isn't as intended.
The embedded SIM does not have wireless hotspot capability. If you activate Porsche connect, your embedded SIM will provide Google Earth/online traffic/weather etc. capabilities (but not wifi hotspot). If you call 1-800-Porsche option 3 and option 2, ask them to send you a separate SIM that allows wireless hotspot; it will require activation by visiting www.att.com/porsche. You will get 3GB of data for free that can be used for 3 months , and then you have the option of signing up for $20/month unlimited data or $10/month shared data if you're an existing ATT customer. Once you pop in the external SIM, the internal SIM will be disabled, and all data will flow through the external SIM (hotspot, googld earth, traffic, weather, etc.)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:36 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Thank you mutiny. They are sending me a SIM, but I don't really need wifi hotspot capability. My issue has been that I can't get Amazon Music or Napster or Radio.net to load, even though I have them configured in the Connect App and am connected to the car's embedded SIM wifi. It spins and then says "connection interrupted". Every time and no matter where I try it reception-wise. I was thinking that the AT&T SIM may be more "robust" and allow for higher bandwidth activity such as music streaming. However, if it is supposed to work with the embedded one then I don't know what may be wrong.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:52 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Amazon Music used to work well and hasn't allowed me to connect recently - could be a general fault with the system?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you mutiny. They are sending me a SIM, but I don't really need wifi hotspot capability. My issue has been that I can't get Amazon Music or Napster or Radio.net to load, even though I have them configured in the Connect App and am connected to the car's embedded SIM wifi. It spins and then says "connection interrupted". Every time and no matter where I try it reception-wise. I was thinking that the AT&T SIM may be more "robust" and allow for higher bandwidth activity such as music streaming. However, if it is supposed to work with the embedded one then I don't know what may be wrong.
as far as i know you need the external sim to be activated with att to get hotspot functionality, google maps and traffic and the rest of the porsche apps to work. Like Twitter, parking etc.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

I popped in the AT&T SIM card and after activating, the apps that weren't working before (Amazon Music and radio.net) are now functional.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

I popped in the AT&T SIM card and after activating, the apps that weren't working before (Amazon Music and radio.net) are now functional.
Did Porsche send you the sim card or did you dealer pass it to you? I asked my dealer about it and he keeps saying it the same as the embedded sim.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:02 AM
P-Drooler
Track Day

Originally Posted by crack3rd
Did Porsche send you the sim card or did you dealer pass it to you? I asked my dealer about it and he keeps saying it the same as the embedded sim.
I talked to my local dealer yesterday and he arranged for the SIM to be sent out from corporate (I assume). It arrived via FedEx today - sooner than I expected. The AT&T SIM was in a little Porsche/AT&T branded envelope and attached to a 2-sided "brochure" card about wireless connectivity. The dealer implied it was just for creating a hotspot for the driver and passengers, but I figured I'd try it ... and it worked - giving me connectivity to Amazon Music and radio.net, which was my goal.

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot