Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:43 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviaros21

unfortunately i forget. It was in and out of the shop so many times just to get it initially set up, it’s all a blur now
If your "Personal Hotspot" is turned on in your phone settings, then the car may in fact be using it. If however it is turned off, then the embedded Sim card must be able to connect to the internet on it's own??? I'm going to the Dealer tomorrow so hopefully I will be more knowledgeable afterward.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
If your "Personal Hotspot" is turned on in your phone settings, then the car may in fact be using it. If however it is turned off, then the embedded Sim card must be able to connect to the internet on it's own??? I'm going to the Dealer tomorrow so hopefully I will be more knowledgeable afterward.
any update on this?

I'm still trying to figure out why I have apps like Weather, POI, Twitter, but no Google Maps
Old 06-01-2018, 04:33 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not an app, it's a setting in the Nav function (the "layers" looking button along the top row).
Old 06-01-2018, 06:39 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
So I went to the Dealer yesterday. I did find out the embedded sim card does not use the "Hotspot" on the phone. It has it's own connection to the internet. That said, I am still having problems using Amazon Music either through the embedded Sim card or through Apple Play. My Dealer is contacting the "expert" at Porsche to find out what we are doing wrong. We did get Amazon Music to work briefly but then it stopped and we couldn't get it back. My Connect app does show me logged into Amazon Music so not sure what is causing the problem. Apple Play itself does not seem to be working too well either.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
It's not an app, it's a setting in the Nav function (the "layers" looking button along the top row).
I’m a dummy. Thank you
Old 06-04-2018, 01:55 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy to help! None of this stuff is intuitive in fairness.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:47 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

All of this stuff is honestly really confusing.

If all I want is: (1) usage of the Car Connect app so I can locate my car, flash lights, honk horn, check on charging status, lock, unlock, etc, (2) I want to be able to use the apps on the PCM for checking weather, fuel prices, flight info, etc, and (3) real-time traffic with Google Earth and Street View what do I have to do? [(4) I wouldn't mind using the car's hotspot for WiFi, not really necessary, but I will NOT use my phone as a hotspot for the car. This seems tedious and unnecessary, and I don't mind paying the fees.]

My car is a 2018 Panamera Hybrid and will arrive sometime in October, but I want to be prepared. So far I've set up the Vodafone account online, and I have an installation code, but I'm not sure what services depend on the SIM card if there even is one.

I'd really appreciate someone shedding some light.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:58 AM
grasmere
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Drooler
If you want to use Amazon Radio, radio.net or Napster and/or do not want to use Amazon Radio through the Apple Car Play app, then you need the Porsche Connect app on your phone. What isn't initially clear is that you don't actually do anything with the app after setting it up for music the first time. (Go to the "Me" tab, click "PCM Services" and log in to any or all of those 3 music services.) After that, if you have set up the phone to connect to the car's wifi, you don't actively need to click on the Porsche Connect app ever again. In my experience, if you connect your phone to wifi using the built-in SIM card, you will not access the internet in a manner that will allow you to use any of these music services - although some other PCM internet functions such as Twitter feeds and Google maps may work for you. To access the internet with sufficient bandwidth to use these music apps without Apple Car Play, I needed to get the removable AT&T SIM from Porsche.

Why would you want to use the PCM for these music apps instead of Apple Car Play? First, with Apple Car Play, you are using your phone's cellular data to access the internet, which can be expensive if you don't have an unlimited data plan. Second, I think the PCM interface is much more attractive and desirable than Apple Car Play's. If you are connected via Apple Car Play, you CANNOT use the Porsche PCM phone interface - where you have nice profile pictures of your contacts, and people's pictures appear when they call you. You have to use Apple Car Play's Phone app for phone calls. I have found that the PCM voice control gets wonky because of Siri also being available. If you have music favorites set up on your home screen, Apple Car Play doesn't have favorites, so there will be an error on your home page. There are other annoyances of Apple Play to me, but to each their own. I still use it occasionally for Audible and Slacker though
fabulous info, thanks so much, didn’t realise we had to enable, ie log in, to amazon music via the connect app!

So much tech stuff within Porsche, and amazing how so few in Porsche know anything about it !
Old 11-21-2018, 03:54 AM
Vbezrukov
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera 971

Hello people, somebody knows location pvts vodafone”cobra” on new panamera 971. I not will be tracked, by somebody who are bad people
Old 07-23-2019, 10:09 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Digging up an old thread and hopefully someone can help. 2018 with the embedded SIM. Activated the SIM via ATT and moved it to my shared data account. I can connect to the hotspot but it says no internet. I called Porsche and they said in addition to the data plan on AT&T I also need to purchase the Porsche Car Connect Apps services in order for the hotspot to work. If I don't buy the additional apps (traffic, weather, flights, etc.) the hotspot will not work. This does not sound correct but want to know if others agree. I went around and around with Porsche on this. Also, they said I cannot use another SIM and it will stop working in a a couple days despite the fact that I can get a SIM my Macan working just fine in the car right now. The gal I spoke to said there was no way around the purchase of the Connect apps if I want to use hotspot in the car.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:50 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Spoke to a supervisor in Porsche Connect for a couple minutes today so don’t have a lot of background. He said that if I want to run a hotspot, I will need an external SIM which he is sending to me.

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera/Question about embedded SIM and Wi-Fi Hotspot