Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2018. Problem with Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Porsche does this one purpose “we want proper German automobile” no tint! : )
Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM
jtorrebl
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmoose

i didn’t have scratches until I put the windows down on a 90 degree day when everything was “expanded” and got torched with scratches....
i did get the scratches in all my windows except my driver’s window. See above posts dealer tinter said he didn’t have room for felt but that was 1.5 years ago. Maybe he found a way by now?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 422 Posts

Volkswagen has same issues with tinting
Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 PM
mm1
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Welp, we just decided Windows are staying up and risking it. Tint guy said he's done a few Panameras and I know he does work for our Bentley and LR dealer... but I'm betting this eventually scratches. Oh well, looks great now. (IMO) Also had wheels painted with Ceramic Paint and markers wrapped.

The following users liked this post:
GoBlue! (01-14-2020)
Old 04-25-2019, 01:02 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

the scratches are kind of irritating but don't really mar the view that much
Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
there is a specific sequence of prepping, cleaning, and installing the felt piece to the Panamera window gaskets. Margin of error is small because if you have any edge of the mole skin adhesive backing exposed, the job is toast and you start all over again. Take it to a shop that specializes in Panameras...not many know how to do them right. You’ll pay a premium, but job will be done right the first time.

Also, find a tint with a durable top coat...we use Huper Optik and haven’t had any issues.
How much do you charge for tinting?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:29 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmoose
I think Porsche does this one purpose “we want proper German automobile” no tint! : )
This is a bigger issue for me. I don't have a tint, but I do have scratches on the outside of the passenger window. When I had the car new (2018 4 E-Hybrid), grease marks appeared at first, and the dealer said that it would go away. Now, just over one year of ownership, I have scratches on the ouside of the window that can be felt with your fingernail.

-- Mike
Old 10-31-2019, 06:13 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

That is just plain wrong, time to make some noise and get it fixed on their dime
MKC91 (11-01-2019)
Old 01-13-2020, 02:23 PM
Kell's Smith
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mm1
Welp, we just decided Windows are staying up and risking it. Tint guy said he's done a few Panameras and I know he does work for our Bentley and LR dealer... but I'm betting this eventually scratches. Oh well, looks great now. (IMO) Also had wheels painted with Ceramic Paint and markers wrapped.

what tint % is this? Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 11:56 AM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

I just ordered the moleskin felt kit from tintprotector.com. The installer said he would install it for $50/door which includes removing the door panels for installation. I'm thinking just doing the front doors might be enough since the back windows will rarely be lowered.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:05 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

having done the felt kit myself, I'll say that isn't a bad price. While it's not hard to do, it can be a bit of a pain as there are several pieces that cause you problems.
I would sugge3st you bite the bullet and get them all done, it only takes the window going down once to scratch it.
B Russ (03-19-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 12:46 AM
The M
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DogWood
having done the felt kit myself, I'll say that isn't a bad price. While it's not hard to do, it can be a bit of a pain as there are several pieces that cause you problems.
I would sugge3st you bite the bullet and get them all done, it only takes the window going down once to scratch it.
Any tips for me? I'm doing this soon and was hoping I might get some DIY hints from you.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:49 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

there are some decent videos out there, watch them several time and take your time, if you find yourself pulling hard then something is wrong.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 PM
The M
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Turkel
Yep 4-4.5hrs labor - remove door panels and install felt strips. Then you will be able to tint
I've looked all over for details but can't find them. Do the felt strips get installed onto the door panels, or onto the door itself after the panels are removed? I was hoping it was obvious but didn't want to assume anything. I want to get the the info I can before I dig into this.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 AM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

I received the tint protector kit for Panamera a few days ago. It's a bit overpriced for what you get, but it comes with good instructions and hopefully will do the trick. The instructions show how to remove the door panels (there's also some YouTube videos on this). After the panels are removed, it looks like you pull the lower inside seal out a bit, then wipe it down with alcohol and apply the felt. There are also instructions on how to install without removing the door panels, but I don't think I'll try that. They recommend installing after the tint goes on.

I am having my car tinted this afternoon by a shop that is "sortof" closed for the virus, but carefully doing some pre-scheduled work like mine. (our stay at home order in Houston started at midnight last night).

The M (03-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 2018. Problem with Window Tint