Panamera 2010-Current

2018. Problem with Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018. Problem with Window Tint

Had my windows tinted. The front windows have a giant line / scratch going from top to bottom - left and right windows on the same area.

Anyone seen this? Thx
Old 08-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmoose
Had my windows tinted. The front windows have a giant line / scratch going from top to bottom - left and right windows on the same area.

Anyone seen this? Thx
Yep. You had an installer who is not familiar with new Panameras to tint your car.

There is extremely limited space for tint in the new Panamera and the only way to properly do it is to remove the door panels and then install. I'm sure your dealer is aware of this also.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

Good to know. Dealer didn't say anything.

Also so doesn't help that I got the noise isolated glass which is thicker I believe. Thx!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:51 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a well known problem and in the case of my 4S, I was told that the sealing strip has to be changed to a softer composition. The installer should have known this as the issue has been around since the introduction in 2010
Old 08-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Brian Turkel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep 4-4.5hrs labor - remove door panels and install felt strips. Then you will be able to tint
Old 08-29-2017, 01:11 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

I tired to use my local auto body guy to get the felt installed and he was not able to do it. Mine is headed to the dealer to be done by "Their tint guy" for $600. 3-4 hours to address the doors is what Im hearing.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

Good to know - thanks for this feedback. If anyone knows of anyone in Chicago who will do the felt please let me know. My dealer says nothing can be done and I've reached out to one well known tint shop and they said they won't do the felt.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:12 PM
hme
Intermediate

Not every tint shop knows how to or wants to bother with removing the door panels.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, tinter messed up my window tint pretty badly with the lines. You can't see it from the outside obviously, so it's not that bothersome. Just a little frustrating after you pay someone to do a job and then they mess it up.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:39 AM
method.man
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Brian Turkel
Yep 4-4.5hrs labor - remove door panels and install felt strips. Then you will be able to tint
Wow that's a lot of work just to get your windows tinted. Thanks for the tip
Old 09-09-2017, 07:55 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

Just got mine done at the dealer

Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Window Tint Panamera

Picking mine up next week. Dealer says nothing can be done about scratches except that they will replace if it does happen. I asked about the felt and they knew nothing about it. Dealer in NW Chicago Suburbs
What percentage tint did everyone get? I have the Volcano Grey exterior

Good to know - thanks for this feedback. If anyone knows of anyone in Chicago who will do the felt please let me know. My dealer says nothing can be done and I've reached out to one well known tint shop and they said they won't do the felt.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Brian Turkel
AutoX

They need to call Porsche - they need to take the door panels off and have felt strips installed, you will have issues 100% for sure.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

Originally Posted by pmiddy
Picking mine up next week. Dealer says nothing can be done about scratches except that they will replace if it does happen. I asked about the felt and they knew nothing about it. Dealer in NW Chicago Suburbs
What percentage tint did everyone get? I have the Volcano Grey exterior
I got 30 percent. I used a dealer on the north side. They’re wanted nothing to do with installing felt. It was a disaster - scratched beyond belief. They said there is nothing they can do. Took it to Chicago auto pros in Glenview. They took the panels off and installed felt. It works like a dream. No scratches. What they say on here about the felt is true. It’s the only way. The dealers don’t do it because they don’t feel like it. Auto pros did say sometimes it doesn’t work so they wouldn’t guarantee but mine worked awesome. Definitely go to them!
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default window tint Panamera

I sent my dealer the link for http://www.tintprotector.com/porsche/
He said he would look into it. Thanks to all for the feedback, I will post pics next week if I get it done.
Was 30% OK? should I get the max (for IL) 35%?

I got 30 percent. I used a dealer on the north side. They’re wanted nothing to do with installing felt. It was a disaster - scratched beyond belief. They said there is nothing they can do. Took it to Chicago auto pros in Glenview. They took the panels off and installed felt. It works like a dream. No scratches. What they say on here about the felt is true. It’s the only way. The dealers don’t do it because they don’t feel like it. Auto pros did say sometimes it doesn’t work so they wouldn’t guarantee but mine worked awesome. Definitely go to them!

Quick Reply: 2018. Problem with Window Tint