Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/)
-   -   2018. Problem with Window Tint (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/1021419-2018-problem-with-window-tint.html)

Tmoose 08-27-2017 03:37 PM

2018. Problem with Window Tint

Had my windows tinted. The front windows have a giant line / scratch going from top to bottom - left and right windows on the same area.

Anyone seen this? Thx

81911 08-27-2017 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tmoose (Post 14437522)
Had my windows tinted. The front windows have a giant line / scratch going from top to bottom - left and right windows on the same area.

Anyone seen this? Thx

Yep. You had an installer who is not familiar with new Panameras to tint your car.

There is extremely limited space for tint in the new Panamera and the only way to properly do it is to remove the door panels and then install. I'm sure your dealer is aware of this also.

Tmoose 08-27-2017 06:40 PM

Good to know. Dealer didn't say anything.

Also so doesn't help that I got the noise isolated glass which is thicker I believe. Thx!

pmichaelis 08-27-2017 09:51 PM

This is a well known problem and in the case of my 4S, I was told that the sealing strip has to be changed to a softer composition. The installer should have known this as the issue has been around since the introduction in 2010

Brian Turkel 08-28-2017 05:03 PM

Yep 4-4.5hrs labor - remove door panels and install felt strips. Then you will be able to tint

B Russ 08-29-2017 01:11 PM

I tired to use my local auto body guy to get the felt installed and he was not able to do it. Mine is headed to the dealer to be done by "Their tint guy" for $600. 3-4 hours to address the doors is what Im hearing.

Tmoose 08-29-2017 03:42 PM

Good to know - thanks for this feedback. If anyone knows of anyone in Chicago who will do the felt please let me know. My dealer says nothing can be done and I've reached out to one well known tint shop and they said they won't do the felt.

hme 08-29-2017 07:12 PM

Not every tint shop knows how to or wants to bother with removing the door panels.

Chicago Mike 09-04-2017 02:19 PM

Yup, tinter messed up my window tint pretty badly with the lines. You can't see it from the outside obviously, so it's not that bothersome. Just a little frustrating after you pay someone to do a job and then they mess it up.

method.man 09-05-2017 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Turkel (Post 14440487)
Yep 4-4.5hrs labor - remove door panels and install felt strips. Then you will be able to tint

Wow that's a lot of work just to get your windows tinted. Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

B Russ 09-09-2017 07:55 AM

Just got mine done at the dealer

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3e2b6cc451.jpg

pmiddy 09-20-2017 07:51 PM

Window Tint Panamera

Picking mine up next week. Dealer says nothing can be done about scratches except that they will replace if it does happen. I asked about the felt and they knew nothing about it. Dealer in NW Chicago Suburbs
What percentage tint did everyone get? I have the Volcano Grey exterior

Originally Posted by Tmoose (Post 14442841)
Good to know - thanks for this feedback. If anyone knows of anyone in Chicago who will do the felt please let me know. My dealer says nothing can be done and I've reached out to one well known tint shop and they said they won't do the felt.

Brian Turkel 09-20-2017 09:36 PM

They need to call Porsche - they need to take the door panels off and have felt strips installed, you will have issues 100% for sure.

Tmoose 09-20-2017 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by pmiddy (Post 14488127)
Picking mine up next week. Dealer says nothing can be done about scratches except that they will replace if it does happen. I asked about the felt and they knew nothing about it. Dealer in NW Chicago Suburbs
What percentage tint did everyone get? I have the Volcano Grey exterior

I got 30 percent. I used a dealer on the north side. They’re wanted nothing to do with installing felt. It was a disaster - scratched beyond belief. They said there is nothing they can do. Took it to Chicago auto pros in Glenview. They took the panels off and installed felt. It works like a dream. No scratches. What they say on here about the felt is true. It’s the only way. The dealers don’t do it because they don’t feel like it. Auto pros did say sometimes it doesn’t work so they wouldn’t guarantee but mine worked awesome. Definitely go to them!

pmiddy 09-20-2017 10:03 PM

window tint Panamera

I sent my dealer the link for http://www.tintprotector.com/porsche/
He said he would look into it. Thanks to all for the feedback, I will post pics next week if I get it done.
Was 30% OK? should I get the max (for IL) 35%?

Originally Posted by Tmoose (Post 14488287)
I got 30 percent. I used a dealer on the north side. They’re wanted nothing to do with installing felt. It was a disaster - scratched beyond belief. They said there is nothing they can do. Took it to Chicago auto pros in Glenview. They took the panels off and installed felt. It works like a dream. No scratches. What they say on here about the felt is true. It’s the only way. The dealers don’t do it because they don’t feel like it. Auto pros did say sometimes it doesn’t work so they wouldn’t guarantee but mine worked awesome. Definitely go to them!