Notices

OT: Ford GT...why Porsche will possibly never beat it

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The dimension don't seem right to me. The wheelbase and the length is just too much and does not seem proportional. Kinda reminds of the Saleen S7, which also looked a foot too long. Didn't walk away too impressed.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 914 Posts

prior gen far more interesting to me than this version and CGT trumps them both in my book.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:03 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

My OCD is kicking in about those side mirrors.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:55 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TopspeedPT
My OCD is kicking in about those side mirrors.
I guess you've never paid attention to the mirror placement on an air-cooled 911?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to improve NVH on a racecar lol. That is what it is.

I see the GT as a return to the pure essence of a supercar a la F40 but with all the modern go fast goods. But I guess we all got a little softer now and don't want to deal wit a car with a ruff around the edges personality. Who would kick an F40 out the garage?

Had I the coin a Gulf Heritage version would be in my garage along with an F40, F1 LM, ACR. Those cars are not everyday cars which I think is the disconnect with some. Spoiled by the daily driver supercars of today. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I also have love for the unruly types of cars that don't follow convention.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I have driven one of the test cars in Dearborn (red w/double white stripes black wheels) and the car does not feel as bad as a Lamborghini from an overall visibility. And at 5'5" and 160- I'm on the lowest quartile of their customer base.

I've also been to the engine builder twice and to multimatics and met with Ford's product development folks. I'm very impressed with the level of genuine enthusiasm and sincerity in the program. The enthusiasm and actual product knowledge goes all the way in the company and not just in the motorsports group which is more than I can say in my last meeting with (now gone) Mr. Doctor Hatz of Porsche who was merely a VW expert on job rotation at Porsche.

+ Can Ford do an LMP1 - no $$. They are under massive pressure as is for the horrrible recent NASCAR performance. NASCAR is also not as popular even with the typical Ford buyers but they cannot exit. So a classical pour more money after bad.

+ The 6 in this car is a complete different animal than the run of the mill ecoboost. And during my last visit early this year, they were changing piston material due to light load durability (detonation), and the new material (added weight) was creating other challenges at peak piston velocity..

+ The first 25 were invoiced late last year for $525k. And one of them is going to a business aquintance and personal friend(old race legend)

+ Drivng the car, the exhaust sounds a lot better than what you hear in the grand stands. You can take this to the bank. The car that I drove had "aged" Cats and mufflers. And as the owner of multiple Porsche turbos including 6GT2/7GT2/7GT2RS and I've tried AM Akra and Tubi, I like the Ford sound.

+ If you're old enough like me, or know your Ford history then you should know that Ford was accused of cheating and the kit car stuff back in the 60's as well. You form your opinion about the Cobras and GTs and Lemans...

+ I did not buy the Gen II because as much as I respect Roush who built those cars, I did not like the 4WD stance and the gaps. The gaps in the Gen III test car were great.

+ I do wish that this Gen III had a massive displacement all aluminum V8 w/Velocity stacks and a 6spd manual transmission...but it doesn't.

+ I view myself as old enthusiast; no one famous, just a car guy. Mine will arrive in 2018. I will drive it and put in my estate for my wife to sell when I'm gone.

(As always) all the best...
Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

I will post more information as I'm receiving dribbles of Ford non-confidential but insider stuff, and first week of June will be visiting Detroit for the 4th time on this program.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:25 PM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-14-2017, 01:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I have driven one of the test cars in Dearborn (red w/double white stripes black wheels) and the car does not feel as bad as a Lamborghini from an overall visibility. And at 5'5" and 160- I'm on the lowest quartile of their customer base.

I've also been to the engine builder twice and to multimatics and met with Ford's product development folks. I'm very impressed with the level of genuine enthusiasm and sincerity in the program. The enthusiasm and actual product knowledge goes all the way in the company and not just in the motorsports group which is more than I can say in my last meeting with (now gone) Mr. Doctor Hatz of Porsche who was merely a VW expert on job rotation at Porsche.

+ Can Ford do an LMP1 - no $$. They are under massive pressure as is for the horrrible recent NASCAR performance. NASCAR is also not as popular even with the typical Ford buyers but they cannot exit. So a classical pour more money after bad.

+ The 6 in this car is a complete different animal than the run of the mill ecoboost. And during my last visit early this year, they were changing piston material due to light load durability (detonation), and the new material (added weight) was creating other challenges at peak piston velocity..

+ The first 25 were invoiced late last year for $525k. And one of them is going to a business aquintance and personal friend(old race legend)

+ Drivng the car, the exhaust sounds a lot better than what you hear in the grand stands. You can take this to the bank. The car that I drove had "aged" Cats and mufflers. And as the owner of multiple Porsche turbos including 6GT2/7GT2/7GT2RS and I've tried AM Akra and Tubi, I like the Ford sound.

+ If you're old enough like me, or know your Ford history then you should know that Ford was accused of cheating and the kit car stuff back in the 60's as well. You form your opinion about the Cobras and GTs and Lemans...

+ I did not buy the Gen II because as much as I respect Roush who built those cars, I did not like the 4WD stance and the gaps. The gaps in the Gen III test car were great.

+ I do wish that this Gen III had a massive displacement all aluminum V8 w/Velocity stacks and a 6spd manual transmission...but it doesn't.

+ I view myself as old enthusiast; no one famous, just a car guy. Mine will arrive in 2018. I will drive it and put in my estate for my wife to sell when I'm gone.

I will post more information as I'm receiving dribbles of Ford non-confidential but insider stuff, and first week of June will be visiting Detroit for the 4th time on this program.
Please keep posting and keep us updated. Thanks.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 05-14-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
sound isnt the greatest, no argument there.

I also have no doubt, that by the time the car is delivered for me, it may not reign supreme. However, the whole buying experience has been great, with the personal attention from Ford and the concierge team. I guess I can say its about the experience as much as the car here. It's a bit of nostalgia for me to have an american car from a company that well..produces our work fleet. The owners forum is a great group of people as well(like here), so all around, an awesome "car guy" experience.
congrats you two. didnt' know you were selected by FORD.
i am not much of blue blood but this car is awesome.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:36 AM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A lot of defensive posts in this thread.

This approach has given the world some cool cars i.e. the M3.

Enzo Ferrari built street cars only to support racing.

Dare I say... to those who think Ford is cheating... if Porsche had done this would you think it was clever? I suspect so. It'd be framed as a perfect example of trickle down tech... which it is
Old 05-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
congrats you two. didnt' know you were selected by FORD.
i am not much of blue blood but this car is awesome.
Yes Mooty I had posted last year on another one of these threads.

(By the way, I love the images of your orange 72S I have a silver 72S being restored in Mollala OR.)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:00 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

The V6 was deemed necessary for LeMans what's wrong with that? It's a race car - if it had a 5 cylinder or 3 cylinder and that is what it takes to win so be it. Plenty of great 6 cylinder engines out there and great V6's historically. I can only see some resentment for the voodoo engine not being used but it is not fuel efficient thus not competitive. If I were in the running for this car I would prefer a car that was competitive in the Le Mans series not just being run in the series uncompetitively with a V8. Everyone here wishes for a stripped out RS of sorts and rawness of an F40 now everyone seems to want a true Grand Touring (GT) :roll eyes: car.

These are all very preliminary tests. It will be great to see the GT in the free hands of journalists and not being chaperoned. Likewise in the owners garages.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:32 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Love the car. So did Ford get some EPA/Sierra Club bonus points when they created "EcoBoost"?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Love the car. So did Ford get some EPA/Sierra Club bonus points when they created "EcoBoost"?
The ecoboost engine was race proven in the Daytona Prototype for years...

Every OEM has some sparkly word for it

"Intelligent design"
"Skyactiv"
"EarthDreams"
"Synergy Drive"
"BMW Efficient Design"
"BlueTec"

Can't wait til Maserati or Jaguar do it

Maserati:
Arriabiata Eco

Jag:
E-roar