Notices

2014 Camaro Z28 joining the track-day fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

Until you have to take it to the dealer for service and they treat you just like the guy next to you waiting for his Geo. At $50-60k, maybe. At$70k+, I'll stay in a GT3.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Until you have to take it to the Porsche dealer for service and they treat you just like the gal next to you waiting for her Boxster. At $50-60k for the Boxster, maybe. At $170k+ for the GT3, I'll try a Z28.
FIFY
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Fine. I'll reserve judgement until I see you guys out running around the track in your $70k Camaros.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fine. I'll reserve judgement until I'm pointing-by you guys out running around the track in your $70k Camaros.
Fixed it for you
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Have any of you sat in a Camaro? You can't see out of it. You may as well be wearing a jousting helmet.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Pete! Have you started growing your mullet yet?

I'm sure it will be a nice, fast car. Out of curiosity, what do you guys see in this car that can't already be had in a Vette?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Thanks Pete! Have you started growing your mullet yet?

I'm sure it will be a nice, fast car. Out of curiosity, what do you guys see in this car that can't already be had in a Vette?
Mullet! You Betcha! lol...

Hey, it is all friendly joking around

Seriously, First and foremost I like Chevy talking to me as a tracker directly, and I also expect the Z/28 to be faster on a given track than the current base model 'Vette (and a 991 GT3). Keep in mind, I also really like the new 'Vette! But the Z reaches out to me on some gut level. The Vette will be refined and a great daily driver. The Z will be a ball busting raucous riot of a special drive for special occasions.

It'll presumably be a few years before the track version of the Vette is released and maybe then it will speak to me? Don't know, have to wait and see.

Also, of course, no one knows any prices yet. My current thinking is for anything $70k or less, the Z is the track car buy of the decade. Let's see how it all shakes out?

That video above is mighty tasty looking to me, I'm not going to lie. Way more interesting than a $130k robot dumbed down (but marketed as a race car) for C&C soccer dads

Originally Posted by Randy M
Have any of you sat in a Camaro? You can't see out of it. You may as well be wearing a jousting helmet.
It looks like a jousting helmet!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Way more interesting than a $130k robot dumbed down (but marketed as a race car) for C&C soccer dads
:
That's no way to talk about your Mono!

jk - we all know it won't even hold a soccer ball.

Actually, I'm hoping you fall in love with the Camero. A pre-owned Mono would probably fit in the garage. . .
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
That's no way to talk about your Mono!

jk - we all know it won't even hold a soccer ball.

Actually, I'm hoping you fall in love with the Camero. A pre-owned Mono would probably fit in the garage. . .
Lol!

The Mono is a keeper, that is a very special car (I know you know ). Presuming of course that someday they ramp up production and get around to sending my big box of parts over so I can actually take delivery
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Seriously, First and foremost I like Chevy talking to me as a tracker directly, and I also expect the Z/28 to be faster on a given track than the current base model 'Vette (and a 991 GT3). Keep in mind, I also really like the new 'Vette! But the Z reaches out to me on some gut level. The Vette will be refined and a great daily driver. The Z will be a ball busting raucous riot of a special drive for special occasions.

It'll presumably be a few years before the track version of the Vette is released and maybe then it will speak to me? Don't know, have to wait and see.

Also, of course, no one knows any prices yet. My current thinking is for anything $70k or less, the Z is the track car buy of the decade. Let's see how it all shakes out?

That video above is mighty tasty looking to me, I'm not going to lie. Way more interesting than a $130k robot dumbed down (but marketed as a race car) for C&C soccer dads

It looks like a jousting helmet!
Pete, it looks very heavy to me at the Ring. I whole heartedly agree with you about how Chevy, the Z28 and the C7 Z51 speaks to me as a track junkie. On paper they are real drivers cars. In real life quality has been pretty bad for all Chevy's but maybe they are getting better the last couple of years..

I think the C7 might be better and faster though. It should be 600lbs lighter 3800 vs 3200 and down only 25-50 HP and tq.

Not sure the LS 7 is the more dependable engine either?
They'll cost about the same in ideal track spec + AC.

I like the evil look of the Z28 while the current Camaro looks like crap.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
In real life quality has been pretty bad for all Chevy's but maybe they are getting better the last couple of years..
Is this just conjecture or do you have real data to support your assertion that quality has been pretty bad for all Chevys?

My experience has been quite the opposite and as I've mentioned before, I have very little patience for major issues. I would have dropped Corvette a long time ago if I had bad experiences, but I haven't.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Is this just conjecture or do you have real data to support your assertion that quality has been pretty bad for all Chevys?

My experience has been quite the opposite and as I've mentioned before, I have very little patience for major issues. I would have dropped Corvette a long time ago if I had bad experiences, but I haven't.
+1

GM quality has been excellent lately.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
is this guy for real? after listening to his used car sales pitch I want to shoe him!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Vis is pretty awful out of them.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag

My first company had a fleet of white vans years ago. Ford econolines. A few Chevys but we got rid of them because they broke down all the time.
My brothers 94 corvette was fun, but we could not look at the crappy fit and finish any longer.. It was broken a lot too, little stuff like the heater, but bad quality all around.
My 2004 dually was a POS. broke down a dozen times in 60k miles. When it ran I loved it.
A friends 06 Corvette was a lemon, he got an 07 and they never got a computer glitch resolved, he just sold it and gave up.
Most rental cars have been dreadful. I once closed a rental car door and had the complete interior panel in my hands, I grabbed the seat moving handle and it broke off. It was a cavalier from a around '09 but the car was brand new, had 22 miles on it.

The last rental impala, it was I think a 12 or 13 model with about 1000 miles rattled pretty bad in the center of the dash.
I'm always happy when I get a Kia or Hynday rental these days..

A friend just bought a ZR1 Corvette 2 months ago, he's loading it up with dynomat to try to stop it rattling because he loves the car except for the interior look and rattles.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 04-17-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Camaro Z28 joining the track-day fun