Notices
The Rennlist Marketplace Porsche Vehicles & Parts For Sale
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully Custom Forged Wheels - MEISTERWERK (NEW THREAD)

For Sale

Old 05-12-2024, 04:31 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

What causes a forged aluminum wheel to weigh so much more than a comparable OEM wheel?

Love the look and finish off these wheels, but i'm not going to add 30+ pounds of rotational mass to try to save a few grand on a $150k+ sports car.
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (06-29-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 05:45 PM
GT4_Rick
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by brandobot
What causes a forged aluminum wheel to weigh so much more than a comparable OEM wheel?

Love the look and finish off these wheels, but i'm not going to add 30+ pounds of rotational mass to try to save a few grand on a $150k+ sports car.
Generally speaking (for general automobiles and not porsche gt3's) cars have cast aluminum wheels from factory which are cheap to make but heavy. Often times people will buy aftermarket forged wheels for weight savings and performance improvements over cast wheels. So generally, people see a weight decrease when switching from an oem wheel to an aftermarket forged wheel.

However, premium cars like Porsche gt3's will have forged wheels from factory. Thus when someone changes the wheel to an aftermarket forged wheel, and especially if they're going from a monoblock to a 2/3 piece design there can and will be an increase in weight. Usually people have these reasonable and realistic expectations and they're willing to sacrifice a small increase in weight for a customized look and etc.

My suggestion for the $0 amount it's worth is to not incorrectly assume you'd see a 30lb weight increase with a given set of wheels. Find out from a reputable source or your own measures what your wheels weigh, than get a proper quote from the company you're shopping with and from there make your determination. I'd take the numbers that some people have thrown around here with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:02 PM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi there,

Thank you for your message!

Regarding wheel weight, it largely depends on the design. The previous OP was comparing his set to his HREs, which are four times the price. While they do weigh less, at what point does a $10,000 difference justify a few pounds per wheel?

As previously discussed, the OP did not mention wheel weights or express any concerns about weights in general. Moving forward, it is crucial to have this conversation to prevent similar issues in the future. We can certainly produce wheels that are close to OEM weights while exceeding their fit and finish.

I personally own a GT4 that I track, so I understand the effects of unsprung weight and rotational mass. I acknowledge the oversight regarding the weights of the 992 GT3 set, and as a business, we have made it a priority to discuss weights and expectations based upon design, before entering the rendering phase to avoid any discrepancies.

Thank you, and please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Cheers,
Jake
Old 05-13-2024, 06:51 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meisterwerk Racing
Hi there,

Thank you for your message!

Regarding wheel weight, it largely depends on the design. The previous OP was comparing his set to his HREs, which are four times the price. While they do weigh less, at what point does a $10,000 difference justify a few pounds per wheel?

As previously discussed, the OP did not mention wheel weights or express any concerns about weights in general. Moving forward, it is crucial to have this conversation to prevent similar issues in the future. We can certainly produce wheels that are close to OEM weights while exceeding their fit and finish.

I personally own a GT4 that I track, so I understand the effects of unsprung weight and rotational mass. I acknowledge the oversight regarding the weights of the 992 GT3 set, and as a business, we have made it a priority to discuss weights and expectations based upon design, before entering the rendering phase to avoid any discrepancies.

Thank you, and please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Cheers,
Jake
What makes two aftermarket wheels with similar designs differ in weight when they’re both forged aluminum?
Old 05-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What makes two aftermarket wheels with similar designs differ in weight when they’re both forged aluminum?
It primarily comes to down to design and load ratings. Design in the sense of shedding weight via slimming spokes etc. and load ratings to the extent of the load rating figure itself. We use load ratings that are 1.5x of stock to ensure utmost strength and durability.

However we can deviate from that if weight is the primary concern, and match the OE load ratings. I hope that answers the question, feel free to PM us any other questions! Cheers.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:18 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

It primarily comes to down to design and load ratings. Design in the sense of shedding weight via slimming spokes etc. and load ratings to the extent of the load rating figure itself. We use load ratings that are 1.5x of stock to ensure utmost strength and durability.

However we can deviate from that if weight is the primary concern, and match the OE load ratings. I hope that answers the question, feel free to PM us any other questions! Cheers.
this is super helpful! Thanks for explaining
Old 05-16-2024, 06:42 PM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

997 WB set, en route!

MKIVdan (05-16-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 10:52 PM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

991.2 GT3 Touring 2/3pc set underway. For those interested in a set please email us at Jake@meisterwerkracing.com - you can also reach out to us on Instagram: @meisterwerkracing

Cheers, and happy Saturday!

The following 2 users liked this post by Meisterwerk Racing:
awdmig (05-21-2024), Evos997turboS (06-01-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 06:12 PM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

992 C4S lightweight monoblock set underway, in satin black! 🏁

*Rennlist severely compresses the image quality

awdmig (05-21-2024), phoneyman (05-20-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 08:03 PM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

awdmig (05-21-2024), Evos997turboS (06-01-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:03 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 307 Posts

992 C4S lightweight monoblock set underway, in satin black! 🏁

*Rennlist severely compresses the image quality
You sure about that? It looks like the render quality of your design software is reduced showing the grain in the photos, not RL.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:16 AM
mxso
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is good to know. So, if I wanted an OEM load ratings for a design similar to BBS, HRE, or Apex wheels, you can come close to the same weight? +/- 2lbs?
Old 05-22-2024, 04:56 AM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hexagone
You sure about that? It looks like the render quality of your design software is reduced showing the grain in the photos, not RL.
Yes sir, I'd be happy to email you the full-size images if you desire. Feel free to PM us. Cheers!
Old 05-22-2024, 04:57 AM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mxso
That is good to know. So, if I wanted an OEM load ratings for a design similar to BBS, HRE, or Apex wheels, you can come close to the same weight? +/- 2lbs?
Give or take a few pounds, yes, assuming the design allows!
Old 05-23-2024, 09:56 PM
Meisterwerk Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A stunning set of 997.2 GT3 wheels. This set is modeled after the OEM .2 GT3 centerlock wheels, but feature a modified 5-lug configuration. This set includes modified offsets to allow for a flush fit without the use of spacers. OEM+ 🏁

Joe Cho (05-24-2024)