Macan 2014-Current

US Macan Diesel: Unicorn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by macan2016
Just wondering how long it will be before we hear that adblue was BS and that the diesels throughout the manufacturers lineup in Mercedes, VW, Porsche were polluting to the moon.
Well then you would have to add all the other manufactures (from cars to big trucks) also, since they all use it. It's not just a german thing.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macan2016
Just wondering how long it will be before we hear that adblue was BS and that the diesels throughout the manufacturers lineup in Mercedes, VW, Porsche were polluting to the moon.
The VAG 3.0 diesel and its variants are not affected (Cayenne, Q7, Touareg, A Series Audis with 3.0). The urea does work. VW was being cheap and did not want to put AdBlue in the 2.0 until had to do it. Europe was slated to meet US standards by 2016/17. Some 2015s with 2.0 engine do have AdBlue.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well so ends this thread in the misty fog of scandal as the auto industry is locked in twilight combat with the climate change posse.

Frankfurt auto show is over, and afik no announcement on US Macan Diesel. It's clear to me if they were going to announce that is not happening any time soon due to scrutiny. It will be a 2017 model year, if ever.

Time to move on to something else.

Oh, and I did find out how she learned about Macan. Fashion magazine in early 2014. Just brilliant. First one we saw was in France in July 2014 on a twisty cobbled street. I thought it was going to take out four sidewalk tables... But it fit! And you guessed right, it was a Dark Blue Diesel.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greenbe
Frankfurt auto show is over, and afik no announcement on US Macan Diesel. It's clear to me if they were going to announce that is not happening any time soon due to scrutiny. It will be a 2017 model year, if ever.
Why do you think they would announce a model for the US market at a German car show. The ROW has had the car for over a year now. LA car show is in November, makes more sense it would be announced then or maybe NY early next year.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Why do you think they would announce a model for the US market at a German car show. The ROW has had the car for over a year now. LA car show is in November, makes more sense it would be announced then or maybe NY early next year.
+1
I heard from both my local (houston) and while at a dealer in Denver that they heard the macan diesel was a go. Going buy local dealer today to get more details and layout specs for a build. Was told by stevinson in Denver that estimate is likely April 2016.

Will post if I get more info. Wife wants one bad. After driving the S version, so do I lol. Fingers crossed. 👍
Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting take on the future of diesel.
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/10/...t-change-back/

I suspect that, in the wake of the emissions affair, the buying public who cares about clean air will continue to migrate toward hybrids and all-electric vehicles.

With as much investment as Porsche put into the 918 , it seems plausible that Porsche will accept the weight penalty to have more hybrids in their model lineup rather than fight increasing headwinds attempting to sell diesels in the light passenger vehicle market. After the Detroit and LA auto shows, the public will see if VAG retreats on diesels or comes out swinging with a compelling recovery plan.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:26 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the growth of diesels here will now retreat for good. Still will be available but the growth is over. Hopefully VW (and Audi and Porsche) will tout the pros of the 3.0 TDI, which has always used urea here (love my TDI)...can't do that now given the mess but maybe in a few months, if at all. Certainly, the term 'clean diesel' is dead even if it's true when used with AdBlue.

But no matter how good diesel is with urea (it's really good), the damage has been done. VW was arrogant. The future of diesel as viable alternative was only 10-15 years out anyway given other technologies.

If I were to get the diesel Macan, I would order it without the diesel badge.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 AM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
+1
I heard from both my local (houston) and while at a dealer in Denver that they heard the macan diesel was a go. Going buy local dealer today to get more details and layout specs for a build. Was told by stevinson in Denver that estimate is likely April 2016.

Will post if I get more info. Wife wants one bad. After driving the S version, so do I lol. Fingers crossed. 👍
Let me know if your dealer says the computer system is open and they can place a firm build order for M Diesel. So far nobody has confirmed this.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:42 AM
greenbe
Advanced

The scuttlebutt consensus is that LA is too late for 2016 model year announce. At this point I expect it will be 2017 model year. When the first customer delivery will happen .... Who knows.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:17 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Goodbye Macan Diesel Allocation

I have not heard anything definitive on the Macan Diesel, second hand "2017 perhaps" ..was holding a spot for one for 10 months at Porsche of Monterey in CA.

Given the state of VW/Audi/Porsche diesels...I decided to give up my spot..

In the meantime am enjoying my wife's Cayenne Diesel when she let's me drive it. 50K miles, goin strong. Superb vehicle..

Aside: Porsche kicked down two more years of warranty as a Goodwill gesture for the diesel emissions headache.... Sweet deal, really.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by unclejosh
I have not heard anything definitive on the Macan Diesel, second hand "2017 perhaps" ..was holding a spot for one for 10 months at Porsche of Monterey in CA.

Given the state of VW/Audi/Porsche diesels...I decided to give up my spot..

In the meantime am enjoying my wife's Cayenne Diesel when she let's me drive it. 50K miles, goin strong. Superb vehicle..

Aside: Porsche kicked down two more years of warranty as a Goodwill gesture for the diesel emissions headache.... Sweet deal, really.
I've got a 2016 Cayenne Diesel, and was talking to my SA today to get the warranty sorted out. Apparently there will be no 2016 Cayenne or Macan Diesels.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
I've got a 2016 Cayenne Diesel, and was talking to my SA today to get the warranty sorted out. Apparently there will be no 2016 Cayenne or Macan Diesels.
Thanks for the information.... Makes sense... Maybe I will get a Diesel pickup truck instead of a macan...
Old 02-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Such a shame...
Love our SQ5 TDI... awesome torque!!!
Was really hoping for the Macan diesel...
Old 02-27-2016, 01:03 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Walt L
Such a shame...
Love our SQ5 TDI... awesome torque!!!
Was really hoping for the Macan diesel...
if you have a sq5 tdi, then you're not in the US, and should have had access to the Macan tdi already.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

if you have a sq5 tdi, then you're not in the US, and should have had access to the Macan tdi already.
Ammm, the Canadian flag in his avatar could have been a clue. And the Surrey, B.C. listed as the location the final proof, so obviously he's not in the US, whether or not you consider Canada the 51st state.

Quick Reply: US Macan Diesel: Unicorn?