Macan 2014-Current

US Macan Diesel: Unicorn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:36 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US Macan Diesel: Unicorn?

Our dealer took a deposit for Macan Diesel in California in Oct 2014. Still no solid information on when this mythical car will arrive. No movement from the dealer to fill out a proper build order. It is for my wife, she is starting to believe the car is a unicorn.

To add insult to injury, I was just in England last week and we saw at least 3 Macan Diesels on the road in less than a week.

Anyone know of any solid recent information (in the last month) on the plans to start US production?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:48 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Same lame VAG TDI that is in the Audi Q5?

2.0, 3.0, or what?
Old 09-07-2015, 03:31 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Same lame VAG TDI that is in the Audi Q5?

2.0, 3.0, or what?
http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/mac...turesandspecs/
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

It's a 3.0 liter V6 Turbo Diesel made custom by Porsche at their new Leipzig plant.

What I have read on European forums where both the Diesel and gasoline are readily available to test drive is that the Diesel is so close in practical performance to the gasoline that there is not much point in buying the gasoline. My own anecdote is that all the Macans we saw in England were Diesel.

Of course if you are going to race or just like the feel the Macan S is a phenomenal car, but she wants to try Diesel for a change.

If anyone has any detail in the last month on when the Macan Diesel is coming to the US, please let us know.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is from Audi, it is a 258HP 3.0l V6 mated with a VAG PDK produced in Kassel, hence the restriction in torque, the ZF would have been capable of handling more torque.

Performance is pretty good, the torque will help drivability. Up to 120mph the car is really quick, 140mph will take a it longer. Fuel consumption is pretty good.

Real world, the Macan S Diesel is not slower than a Macan S (gasoline), that's probably the reason why they both got the same S designation
Old 09-07-2015, 09:00 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sven76
The engine is from Audi, it is a 258HP 3.0l V6 mated with a VAG PDK produced in Kassel, hence the restriction in torque, the ZF would have been capable of handling more torque.

Performance is pretty good, the torque will help drivability. Up to 120mph the car is really quick, 140mph will take a it longer. Fuel consumption is pretty good.

Real world, the Macan S Diesel is not slower than a Macan S (gasoline), that's probably the reason why they both got the same S designation
So we are going off-topic .... reminder I am trying to find some real info on when US production starts for Macan S Diesel.

But nevertheless, to wade into engine specs, I thought this was a pretty good overview of the Macan S gasoline vs diesel (or petrol as they call it in the Queen's English).

www.motorshow.me/GalleryDocs/Doc5650.pdf
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/feat...ood-bros/31953

So they are not the same drop-in engine as Audi, as you implied the hp and torque are actually lower for the Macan Diesel compared to Q5 Diesel. I don't have any solid info of any engine part differences, weight differences, tuning differences etc but my expectation is certainly there are differences. I also have not seen an article that explicitly states where the final engine is assembled, but many write-ups have implied Leipzig. Is the block made at an Audi plant? Probably. Does that matter to me? No. Has it been re-tuned? Almost certainly.

Yes I'm a little curious to know the diesel engine detail if anyone out there has inside information. But, in my experience with my 996, it's not any individual hp or torque spec that makes the difference. It is the whole package that makes for quickness, handling and feel.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic, but the engine of the Macan is pretty much the same as the one in th Audi Q5 3.0 Diesel (probably not available in the U.S.), which is not the same as the one going into the SQ5 (European version, you guys get a V6T gasoline). Reason is that Porsche wanted PDK, but PDK mated to this engine is not capable of so much torque so Audi SQ5 get a classical automatic tranny.

Back to topic: Doubt that there are any plans to export it to the U.S. It is pretty hard to get a gasoline engine here for the Macan, fairly long wait as all over the world people want a Macan (with gasoline). In Europe, demand is high for diesel, which makes sense in an SUV which for many is the second Porsche in the garage, with a proper sports car next to it. And you get >30mpg in real world driving situations out of the engine, gives you >500 miles range.... Won't happen with the gasoline engine. And diesel not very popular in the U.S.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was supposed to come here this fall. Why this changed...don't know. I have a Touareg TDI and it is tremendous. I was waiting for the Macan diesel but I have moved on and likely will stick with my poor man's Cayenne diesel when the redesign comes here in two years or so. The Macan is a little too small for my needs.

Diesel is about drivability and fuel efficiency. It also tows great but I don't tow. I do drive 20k yearly. Low-end torque is awesome and that's what makes it a great daily driver. If one gets hung up on HP, then the point is missed.

Drive a V6 Cayenne and then drive a diesel Cayenne and you will know right away.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:42 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Sounds like nobody has heard any solid information. The announcement that US would get Macan Diesel came directly from a Porsche exec in 2014. Plenty of quotes online. Since then ... radio silence.

I'm just hoping there is a solid announce soon, either at Frankfurt auto show in September or LA in November. Not a moment too soon.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:14 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Well about 6 weeks ago I actually saw a factory plated Macan diesel traveling on 101 in San Mateo, CA along with 4 other factory plated brand new P-cars. Hopefully that means the diesel is getting close to coming to CA......
Old 09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by cairo94507
Well about 6 weeks ago I actually saw a factory plated Macan diesel traveling on 101 in San Mateo, CA along with 4 other factory plated brand new P-cars. Hopefully that means the diesel is getting close to coming to CA......
That is interesting info. I spoke to Stevens Creek two days as ago. They are entering orders in the system for 2016 Macan but no option for diesel. I have concluded it will be 2017 model year, if ever, and we have given up waiting.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I have no idea if they were just driving them across the country to log real-world miles or what. All cars had 2 people in them and the passenger was set up with a laptop in all of the cars.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:44 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Just came back from the Frankfurt IAA and heard from the Porsche man responsible for sales in the US that we'll have the Macan Diesel in the US in January or February. He thought we should be able and order it now or in a few weeks.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:33 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Wow, really? I was wondering if they would announce it at Frankfurt. Why no public statement - any insight into that? Will it be 2016 or 2017 model year?
Old 09-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In full awareness that I'd get blasted for this: And why is everyone so anxious about the diesel? If you want diesel, get a ford F350 super duty.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
In full awareness that I'd get blasted for this: And why is everyone so anxious about the diesel? If you want diesel, get a ford F350 super duty.
Don't need know, need to ask the wife. She wants one bad. I'm not going to question the request. Somethings you just let slide.

Have you ever tried to park a f350 at the mall parking lot? It ain't fun.

Quick Reply: US Macan Diesel: Unicorn?