Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Think we will see the 4cyl Macan in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:16 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Think we will see the 4cyl Macan in the US?

Being a 4 cylinder Porsche fan I'm wondering if we'll see the 2.0T Macan here in the US? I know they are running around Europe. We currently have a Q5 2.0T and would love to replace it with a Macan 2.0T.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That would be sweet.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

The Macan will need to loose about 800# first, to compete with other SUVs like the MB GLA45 AMG.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...nt=model-specs
Old 04-22-2015, 10:49 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
The Macan will need to loose about 800# first, to compete with other SUVs like the MB GLA45 AMG.
I have the 220hp version of the 2.0T in my Q5 and I feel it is very spirited. I hear Porsche tuned it to 237hp in Europe so that should be even better.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:46 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Porsche got it right with the 968 Club Sport.

A Macan Club Sport with similar weight reductions, a high performance 4 cylinder (~300 hp) and manual transmission would be a GLA slayer. Porsche needs to regain its reputation for building driver's cars that emphasize sporty handling over luxury techno-automation.

What did the 968 do to become Autocar's 1993 "best handling car"? It shed 200 pounds of fluff. The Macan can easily lose that much with a 4-cylinder, manual transmission, no back seats ("shooting brake"), lowered suspension, forged wheels, and loss of many unnecessary electrical gadgets. What's more, Porsche enthusiasts would happily pay just as a loaded Macan S much to get a 4-cylinder Macan CS.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:59 PM
1MORLAP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see a reason why we would not see it here. I don't think it would be any slower than a base Cayenne. And I am sure it would sell well with the folks that like the aesthetics, but don't mind it being a tad slower. In the S3 for example, that 2 liter engine makes about 280HP. 280 - 340 - 400 - are you following?

But Diesel comes first.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 567 Likes on 313 Posts

They won't release a 4-cyl base Macan until demand goes down
Old 04-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am guessing due to emissions and gas milage, you will see a 2.0 brought to the U.S. May take a couple more years, but with the manufactures being required to make more efficient vehicles, Porsche will certainly need to make some changes to the Macan.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Powereng
I am guessing due to emissions and gas milage, you will see a 2.0 brought to the U.S. May take a couple more years, but with the manufactures being required to make more efficient vehicles, Porsche will certainly need to make some changes to the Macan.
If they bring 2.0T to North America. They's better can keep up prodiction with the orders. haha

The 2.0T price probably will be around 42K.
All the bmw audi and mercerdes buyers will buy macan.
Maybe even VW buyers.
I paid 38K+CAD for my MK7 GTI before tax.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
If they bring 2.0T to North America. They's better can keep up prodiction with the orders. haha

The 2.0T price probably will be around 42K.
All the bmw audi and mercerdes buyers will buy macan.
Maybe even VW buyers.
I paid 38K+CAD for my MK7 GTI before tax.
Seriously though, does Porsche really want to get into that sector? I'm afraid it will lose it's prestige. I hope they don't.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 PM
roule
Instructor

Porsche can't compete on price. I don't think there's any chance that a Macan will be offered in any powertrain for 42k $US or less.

But as I said before, a lightweight 4-cylinder manual transmission Macan Club Sport version would be a killer driver's car. ~40 HP less power, ~ 200 kg less weight, less fluff equipment than the Macan S at the same price would be a dream. Porsche would have its higher profit margin, and being a relatively specialty configuration means that Porsche will be able to keep up with demand. Enthusiasts who care about handling and braking would have the best Macan yet --- putting Porsche ahead of the GLA for a fun-to-drive mini ute.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 PM
roule
Instructor

Porsche is selling Macans in Brazil with the 2.0T TFSI used in the Audi A4/A5/Q5. It's only 210 hp so it ends up being slower than the Macan S diesel. I can't imagine Porsche diluting its name with such a vehicle in the USA.

Is Audi's 2.0 TFSI the only viable engine available for the Macan? Seems like there is much more potential in that engine than the Brazilian model offers. For example, the Audi TTS 2.0 TFSI offers 310 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque through a 6-speed manual. Alas, that's a transverse engine application. If such an engine could be offered in the Macan, it would sell well anywhere.

If Porsche did it right, there's no reason a properly balanced Macan Club Sport couldn't handle as well or better than the Golf R, which is a brilliant hatch but suffers mightily from a horrid 60/40 weight distribution.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Superman32
Racer

Originally Posted by roule
Porsche can't compete on price. I don't think there's any chance that a Macan will be offered in any powertrain for 42k $US or less.

But as I said before, a lightweight 4-cylinder manual transmission Macan Club Sport version would be a killer driver's car. ~40 HP less power, ~ 200 kg less weight, less fluff equipment than the Macan S at the same price would be a dream. Porsche would have its higher profit margin, and being a relatively specialty configuration means that Porsche will be able to keep up with demand. Enthusiasts who care about handling and braking would have the best Macan yet --- putting Porsche ahead of the GLA for a fun-to-drive mini ute.
Macan S is 52900. I will expect to pay 10K less for 2.0T 4 cylinder Macan or even cheaper.Even 2.0T is 10K cheaper I would still chose 3.0T S. I think 3.0S is better value for money than 42K 2.0T. 2.0T's brake is different too.
I think porsche should stop making 2.0T macan or increase price again.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Superman32
Racer

I think they should price macan S 5k-8k more than SQ5.
Also, I think they should drop 2.0T model.
They should call 3.0T Macan and 3.6T Macan S and make a Turbo with Cayenne Turbo engine and price around 90K.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:21 PM
roule
Instructor

Porsche is a global company, so obviously it's going to keep selling a base Macan with the 2.0 TFSI in emerging markets & in countries with relatively strict emissions or fuel economy standards. That's a given. The question that I have, as a US customer, is whether Porsche will improve the Macan to make it lighter and more nimble or whether it will continue to bloat out the Macan like practically every other vehicle is on the US market.

Also, Audi has a good reputation and a strongly growing fan base in the USA. The SQ5 is not a lesser value than the Macan S, it is simply a differently tuned vehicle. It carries more cargo and it out-accelerates the Macan S. So unless Porsche brings something new to the Macan, there's no legitimate reason the Macan S could be priced so significantly higher.

And like it or not, the Merc GLA stole a lot of the Macan's thunder by demonstrating how much better a lighter vehicle performs. Some will argue that the GLA is so much smaller that it's a different class, but that's irrelevant if the GLA takes sales away from the Macan. Porsche won't be able to raise prices while the GLA continues to win magazine car comparisons ... unless Porsche reclaims its handling crown by offering a lighter, simpler Macan version.

Lastly, not every 2.0T is identical. As I hinted above, if Porsche wanted to, it could wring at least an additional 90 horsepower out of Audi's excellent 2.0 engine, because the TTS already does it. So that would be a great option for picky Americans like me who want significantly lighter, better balanced vehicles that offer reasonable cargo room.

Quick Reply: Think we will see the 4cyl Macan in the US?