Macan 2014-Current

911 to Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
Macan is clearly the SUV that emphasizes Sport characteristics, and does so better than any other SUV on the market today IMO. I love driving my wife's Macan, and when I do drive it, I drive it hard However, it is not anywhere near a 911 driving experience.
Of course, that goes without saying, but I think as a basis it's as close as any 4 door has ever gotten.

For example: I wanted a 911, but I'm too tall to fit in it fully comfortably (a GT3 with the racing sport seats and no sunroof I can make due with, but way out of budget). After testing everything with 4 doors, and driving an AS/PASM Macan on a track back to back with a Panamera GTS, and 911's, Cayman's, Boxster's GTS, the AS/PASM Macan gives me definite likening to a 911 in many ways, taking into account its inherent basis. On a relative basis (keyword being "relative") the Macan delivers the 911 vibe better than anything else I've driven with 4 (or even two, outside of Porsche) doors, and has more headroom for me than any other car on the market practically.

It's a 4 door small "SUV" with a V6 in the front, the 911 is a small coupe with a Flat 6 in the back, obviously very different experiences. But it's incredible how Porsche got the Macan so well injected with genuine Porsche sports car DNA, all things considered. For those of us who have a 911 void to fill and need whatever utility aspects the Macan provides (for me, it's a bit of space inside as I get a little paranoid in very small cars on public streets and most of all: Necessary headroom, of which the 911 provides in an astonishingly amazing way, especially for its size, credit to Porsche's engineering mastery in even the most functional ways you wouldn't expect, and the Macan carries over into a larger basis with equally amazing headroom functionality), it's gotten as close to pacifying me as anything else that's out that meets said criteria.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=K-A;12067670]

For example: I wanted a 911, but I'm too tall to fit in it fully comfortably (a GT3 with the racing sport seats and no sunroof I can make due with, but way out of budget).

Man you must be one tall guy. I am fairly tall 6'2"and way overweight. I have a '13 911 and fit fine. I have sunroof as well in it. I can lower the seat and move it so far back that I can't reach the pedals and could wear a cowboy hat and not touch the roof or sunroof. I have a friend who is 6'6"and has no problem in it either.

I also have a Macan S for my wife and we have only had it two months and it is a great vehicle. No 911 that is for sure. I got the sport exhaust so it would at least sound great.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:14 AM
K-A
Drifting

Yeah the 911 has remarkable headroom for its size. I'm long torso and 6'5. 911 has more headroom than about any freaking big luxo sedan by another manufacturer!

But still just a bit too tight for ultimate vertical safety to me. The sunroof creates a little ridge in the rear roofline that's too close. The GT3 corrects that.

The Macan has revolutionary headroom for me. I use that word literally as I had to write off literally every premium car due to said limitations.

Porsche really go the extra mile in intelligent engineering in all measures, taking many different builds into account.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
I think you, and the dog, are living a great life. Keep the 991 with the 7 speed MT (old school style), and the dog will respect you more too...

As for the comments from others about the Macan being closer to the 991 than a Cayenne, here are some facts. Source - Porsche USA Website.

Base 991 weight with PDK: 3,086 lbs
Base Macan S (PDK): 4,112 lbs (1,026 lbs, or 33.2% more than a 991)
Base Cayenne (auto): 4,488 lbs (376 lbs, or 9.1% more than a Macan S)
Cayenne S (auto): 4,597 lbs (485 lbs, or 11.8% more than a Macan S)

The facts are clear. The Macan is much closer in weight to the Cayenne than the 991. Saying it over, and over again does not make the Macan a four door 991. Just because Porsche marketing claims it is a four door 991 does not make it one. I have a Macan S, it is a great compact SUV, but it drives like my wife's Cayenne with a 400 pound weight loss.
Just to be fair, the Macan does have an AWD system, so the better comparison would be the Carerra 4 to the Macan S.

Carerra 4 (PDK): 3,197 lbs
Macan S (PDK): 4112 lbs or "only" 28.6% more.

Doesn't really change your conclusions, but now it's a more apples to apples comparison. Or at least as close as you can get when comparing a 911 to an SUV.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

The 911 Turbo S weighs 3,538 lbs. about 570 lbs less than a base Macan S. Still a lot lighter, but the Macan is actually not all that heavy for its packaging, at least if you don't go crazy with the extra fluff options. 4,112 is lighter than a lot of executive/sport sedans and some GT cars push that. The Maserati GT weighs even more, as does the A7, 550i, M5, S6, 650i, etc.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:24 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Just to be fair, the Macan does have an AWD system, so the better comparison would be the Carerra 4 to the Macan S.

Carerra 4 (PDK): 3,197 lbs
Macan S (PDK): 4112 lbs or "only" 28.6% more.

Doesn't really change your conclusions, but now it's a more apples to apples comparison. Or at least as close as you can get when comparing a 911 to an SUV.

Great point, and thanks for correcting my oversight.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Perhaps orthogonal view here, but our dog seems to prefer to "nest" when riding in the car, I think she feels more secure. So, the little cocoon you've built in your 911 may be just the ticket. At any rate, I hope the dogger is harnessed in, in case of a crash or sudden stop....T

Quick Reply: 911 to Macan