Macan 2014-Current

911 to Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 911 to Macan

Any of you make the switch and what are your impressions of the Macan? I have driven one and was really impressed with the overall handling and power. My current daily driver/commuter car is a 2013 Carrera with manual transmission. Absolutely love the car but my co-pilot to work is a canine (Griffon Wirehaired Pointer) and I'm really only considering the switch to given him a bit more room. 120 mile roundtrip for work.

I removed the rear sear backs and built him a nice foam platform that is covered but every now and then I feel a little awkward using this car as my dog carrier. He doesn't mind it at all. Just jumps in and lays down. So, enter the Macan. One of my reservations is that I'm getting close to 30 mpg and the Macon doesn't get nearly that. Considering either a turbo or the S.

Never have owned a garage princess and never will. Stuff I have gets used but taken care of. You'd never know there's ever been a dog in my 991.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgags
Any of you make the switch and what are your impressions of the Macan? I have driven one and was really impressed with the overall handling and power. My current daily driver/commuter car is a 2013 Carrera with manual transmission. Absolutely love the car but my co-pilot to work is a canine (Griffon Wirehaired Pointer) and I'm really only considering the switch to given him a bit more room. 120 mile roundtrip for work.

I removed the rear sear backs and built him a nice foam platform that is covered but every now and then I feel a little awkward using this car as my dog carrier. He doesn't mind it at all. Just jumps in and lays down. So, enter the Macan. One of my reservations is that I'm getting close to 30 mpg and the Macon doesn't get nearly that. Considering either a turbo or the S.

Never have owned a garage princess and never will. Stuff I have gets used but taken care of. You'd never know there's ever been a dog in my 991.
Personally I think those are beautiful dogs and I have to say, there's a lot of cool factor in that transport mod.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

Love the car and don't really want to change but considering it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Only my male German Shepherd liked to lay down/sleep in the car and he would be down 5 min. into a drive. All the rest have been "heads out the window" dogs, wouldn't work well in a 911. The dog I have now spends most of her time sitting (up) in the middle of the back seat, even during multiple 10 hr. drives between Nashville and FL that dog never spent more than 1 hr. laying down. I have a "dog hammock" for the back seat of the truck, keeps her from falling in the footwell if I stop quickly. Works great and helps protect the seats too. When she rides in the Macan I put the seat down and have a dog mattress back there.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Macan drives really good and you will not be disappointed.

Having said that, no SUV or sedan can match the driving dynamics of a 911.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
+1 Macan handles well but you will never confuse it with a 911. You will burn almost twice the gas in the Macan. I use my ecno911 for long trips!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:33 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

It's as close to a 911 in feel and experience as anything with 4 doors will get, based on my experience of driving literally everything with 4 doors. It won't be a 911, but if you're working with functionality "compromises", that's the best way to put it.

Coming from a 911, I'd recommend AS/PASM. AS will lower the COG and minimize the gargantuan wheel gap of the base suspension models, and hold the car so flat and stable/firm through turns and bumps that it gives me freakish reminiscents (all things considered) of the 911's I've driven on a track.

SC, PTV, etc. also can help bring you as close as this chassis can possibly get to the sports car feel you're used to.

There's no replacing a 911, but the Macan is as close in feel as any 4 door has come, to me at least, especially when optioned right. It even looks like a 911 in a fat suit.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Macan drives really good and you will not be disappointed.

Totally agree. Picked up my GT3 from the dealer today after maintenance and track inspection. Nothing quite like it. Briefly considered getting a GT4, but like my 997.2 GT3 too much - still seems to be going up in value too
Old 02-21-2015, 09:49 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
+1 Macan handles well but you will never confuse it with a 911. You will burn almost twice the gas in the Macan. I use my ecno911 for long trips!
I agree. I have Both a 2015 Cayenne S and a 2012 997 S Cab. I have been driving my new Cayenne exclusively because that's why I got it to use in the winter here and haul things. It is tricked out with Air Sus,PDCC, PTV and handles unbelievably for a SUV. I test drove a Macan but too small for my SUV needs. Well the other day the roads here finally dried off and all the slop and salt was gone so I took the 911 out before it all returned. WOW I forgot what a fantastic car it is. If you get a Macan instead of a 911 just never drive a 911 again and you will be happy.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
My GT3 eats gas like it is going out of style. The Macan doesn't get great mileage, but easily trumps the GT3.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
It's as close to a 911 in feel and experience as anything with 4 doors will get, based on my experience of driving literally everything with 4 doors. It won't be a 911, but if you're working with functionality "compromises", that's the best way to put it.

Coming from a 911, I'd recommend AS/PASM. AS will lower the COG and minimize the gargantuan wheel gap of the base suspension models, and hold the car so flat and stable/firm through turns and bumps that it gives me freakish reminiscents (all things considered) of the 911's I've driven on a track.

SC, PTV, etc. also can help bring you as close as this chassis can possibly get to the sports car feel you're used to.

There's no replacing a 911, but the Macan is as close in feel as any 4 door has come, to me at least, especially when optioned right. It even looks like a 911 in a fat suit.
But your coming from a BMW 535 not a 911. But yes, the Macan is a fun vehicle, completely different driving experiance but I believe you will enjoy it.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Powereng
But your coming from a BMW 535 not a 911. But yes, the Macan is a fun vehicle, completely different driving experiance but I believe you will enjoy it.
Yes and a lifetime of Air Cooled 911's in the family.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Powereng
Racer

But that's not what you have stated else were, and comparing a Macan to a air cooled when the op is talking the 991 911 just makes no sence.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Powereng
But that's not what you have stated else were, and comparing a Macan to a air cooled when the op is talking the 991 911 just makes no sence.
What are you talking about? Where did I compare it to Air Cooled?

I said that with especially the right performance options, it's as close to a 911 in overall experience as any 4 door will get. That's talking relativity, nothing more, and I think it's extremely true.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Powereng
Racer

I don't know KA, read your post were you stated "coming from a 911" which you didn't and then tried to cover by saying a life time of air cooled, so I just am not seeing were you get a comparison. You did not come from a 911, you came from a BMW, so how are you making a accurate comparison if you have never owned a 991 - 911 which the OP was asking? So if you are going to do a comparison and have never had a 991 but supposedly had air cooled, you can't make a intelligent comparison against a 991-911 to a Macan which is what the OP was asking for.

Quick Reply: 911 to Macan