Macan 2014-Current

911 to Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:07 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Powereng
I don't know KA, read your post were you stated "coming from a 911" which you didn't and then tried to cover by saying a life time of air cooled, so I just am not seeing were you get a comparison. You did not come from a 911, you came from a BMW, so how are you making a accurate comparison if you have never owned a 991 - 911 which the OP was asking? So if you are going to do a comparison and have never had a 991 but supposedly had air cooled, you can't make a intelligent comparison against a 991-911 to a Macan which is what the OP was asking for.
What are you talking about? You read English well? I didn't say I came from a 991. I said after driving numerous 991's including track, the AS/PASM Macan is the closest I've found a 4 door to come. That's it. O/P is looking for exactly that and I think the Macan will deliver if he's "forced" to give up the 911. Read, breath, comprehend then maybe decide not to post irrelevancies to the thread.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
It's as close to a 911 in feel and experience as anything with 4 doors will get, based on my experience of driving literally everything with 4 doors. It won't be a 911, but if you're working with functionality "compromises", that's the best way to put it.

Coming from a 911, I'd recommend AS/PASM. AS will lower the COG and minimize the gargantuan wheel gap of the base suspension models, and hold the car so flat and stable/firm through turns and bumps that it gives me freakish reminiscents (all things considered) of the 911's I've driven on a track.

SC, PTV, etc. also can help bring you as close as this chassis can possibly get to the sports car feel you're used to.

There's no replacing a 911, but the Macan is as close in feel as any 4 door has come, to me at least, especially when optioned right. It even looks like a 911 in a fat suit.
Let's see from your original post.. Yup it says "coming from a 911" I am good with reading and understanding english, I am not sure of your ability to remember what you wish to say.
And to the OP, I am sorry for the high jack, I just like to ensure you get accurate answers. I will leave this one as KA is known for spinning. I believe you would be happy with a Macan and your passenger will love the extra room provided in the back and even more with the seats down. Gas milage will take a hit but with a SUV, that's to be expected.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:32 PM
K-A
Drifting

Let's see from your original post.. Yup it says "coming from a 911" I am good with reading and understanding english, I am not sure of your ability to remember what you wish to say. And to the OP, I am sorry for the high jack, I just like to ensure you get accurate answers. I will leave this one as KA is known for spinning. I believe you would be happy with a Macan and your passenger will love the extra room provided in the back and even more with the seats down. Gas milage will take a hit but with a SUV, that's to be expected.
I was talking about HIM "coming from a 991". Which is why I recommended AS/PASM to get the most physics defying trickery out if this car. Learn to read into context before making crude knee jerk O/T posts and learn some respect for others posts. Based on your own recent posts it's hard to imagine you're of driving age.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:54 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO - keep the 911. I have a Macan T with AS/PASM/PVT+ and it doesn't drive like a sports car. More like a heavy sports sedan/coupe e.g. Audi S4, sure, but nothing like a 911. Don't get me wrong, very happy with the Macan T but it is very heavy and big vs a 911. Steering and brakes will both disappoint you vs a 911.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:39 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by NateOZ
IMO - keep the 911. I have a Macan T with AS/PASM/PVT+ and it doesn't drive like a sports car. More like a heavy sports sedan/coupe e.g. Audi S4, sure, but nothing like a 911. Don't get me wrong, very happy with the Macan T but it is very heavy and big vs a 911. Steering and brakes will both disappoint you vs a 911.
Yeah the great feat of the Macan is that it drives like a great sports sedan/GT coupe which is dynamite considering all else that it can do being that it still brings "SUV" elements.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Let's see from your original post.. Yup it says "coming from a 911" I am good with reading and understanding english, I am not sure of your ability to remember what you wish to say.
And to the OP, I am sorry for the high jack, I just like to ensure you get accurate answers. I will leave this one as KA is known for spinning. I believe you would be happy with a Macan and your passenger will love the extra room provided in the back and even more with the seats down. Gas milage will take a hit but with a SUV, that's to be expected.
The same person trolls macanforum.com too. It is certainly not you, nor your ability to read, and comprehend English.

As for Porsche Marketing saying the Macan is a four door 911, it is far from the truth, and marketing speak at its best. The Macan handles like a Cayenne that has lost 400 pounds. It is also more nose heavy than a Cayenne (weight is more front biased by 2% to 3% vs. a Cayenne).

In summary, the Macan is a great compact SUV. I own one, and love it. But, I know the 911, the 911 is a friend of mine, and you (the Macan) are no 911.

Dgags: For your purposes, the Macan will be a fantastic vehicle. You have a long commute, and that poor dog will be much happier. Make sure you get the heated rear seats. He has suffered long enough in that cramped 911.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM
1MORLAP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really could not live with a Macan S or Turbo if it replaced my 911. They are completely different, do not believe that marketing! If you like the 911, like the way it handles, sounds, commutes, etc. - then keep it. If you are getting tired of it, and rather have a 4-door, Macan is fantastic. But don't for a second think it is a more practical 911. Would you consider two cars? Boxster or Cayman and a Macan make a great pair. I know.

As to gas mileage. Macan S does very very well if driven slowly. Cruise at 60mph and you will be in very high 20s. As you gain speed, the aerodynamics kill it. Cruising at 80mph gets gas mileage to below 20. Going with 19s ought to help some.

Tomasz
Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3

Dgags: For your purposes, the Macan will be a fantastic vehicle. You have a long commute, and that poor dog will be much happier. Make sure you get the heated rear seats. He has suffered long enough in that cramped 911.
Any time someone refers to my dog as "that poor dog" we both usually get a good chuckle. He goes to work with me, goes fishing with me, family gatherings, etc... Never has he known a kennelled day in his life. Ya, poor guy.

On to the Macan, I drove one and liked it but don't think I can make the change. Gas mileage is garbage and that actually eats at me. I know myself too well and would eventually trade it for an Outback that gets 30 plus on the highway. I have other vehicles but like driving this one. Leaving the 991 in the garage and driving the truck to work will just lead me to selling the 991. Not to mention, I love the 7 m/t in this car. Probably just end up getting a roof transport system for the 991 and continue putting miles on her.

Good conversation here, thanks for the insight.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 PM
K-A
Drifting

The same person trolls macanforum.com too. It is certainly not you, nor your ability to read, and comprehend English. As for Porsche Marketing saying the Macan is a four door 911, it is far from the truth, and marketing speak at its best. The Macan handles like a Cayenne that has lost 400 pounds. It is also more nose heavy than a Cayenne (weight is more front biased by 2% to 3% vs. a Cayenne). In summary, the Macan is a great compact SUV. I own one, and love it. But, I know the 911, the 911 is a friend of mine, and you (the Macan) are no 911. Dgags: For your purposes, the Macan will be a fantastic vehicle. You have a long commute, and that poor dog will be much happier. Make sure you get the heated rear seats. He has suffered long enough in that cramped 911.
The difference between Cayenne and Macan is quite vast, much more than simply weight. They don't even share the same chassis basis nor does Cayenne have PDK. When I drove a Cayenne I felt like I was piloting a bus. Very capable bus, but compared to the Cayenne, the Macan really *feels* a lot more like a sports car. Porsche calls the Macan a "Big 911, not a small Cayenne". Marketing speak, sure, but they can get away with even considering stating that due to the stark difference from Cayenne and pushing for as much relative familiarity to a 911 as a car of this inherent nature can get, as of yet.

Last edited by K-A; 02-23-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dgags
Any time someone refers to my dog as "that poor dog" we both usually get a good chuckle. He goes to work with me, goes fishing with me, family gatherings, etc... Never has he known a kennelled day in his life. Ya, poor guy.

On to the Macan, I drove one and liked it but don't think I can make the change. Gas mileage is garbage and that actually eats at me. I know myself too well and would eventually trade it for an Outback that gets 30 plus on the highway. I have other vehicles but like driving this one. Leaving the 991 in the garage and driving the truck to work will just lead me to selling the 991. Not to mention, I love the 7 m/t in this car. Probably just end up getting a roof transport system for the 991 and continue putting miles on her.

I leave my GT3 in the garage during the week and drive my GT3 track tow truck to work during the week. I have a 6 mile commute to work, so no big deal. Perfect combination for me.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
I leave my GT3 in the garage during the week and drive my GT3 track tow truck to work during the week. I have a 6 mile commute to work, so no big deal. Perfect combination for me.
That would be the perfect combination for me too but I much prefer the cool factor and ride of the 911. I could solve my own "problem" and just drive the truck but I don't have the will power. Wish I did, but don't. I'm doing 100 plus miles round trip.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
6 mi. is hardly enough time to get the oil warm (and water vapor out) so I would be reluctant to take the GT3 to work in your situation. Now if you had a "long way home" route with some enjoyable twisty roads that would change the situation.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgags

I think you, and the dog, are living a great life. Keep the 991 with the 7 speed MT (old school style), and the dog will respect you more too...

As for the comments from others about the Macan being closer to the 991 than a Cayenne, here are some facts. Source - Porsche USA Website.

Base 991 weight with PDK: 3,086 lbs
Base Macan S (PDK): 4,112 lbs (1,026 lbs, or 33.2% more than a 991)
Base Cayenne (auto): 4,488 lbs (376 lbs, or 9.1% more than a Macan S)
Cayenne S (auto): 4,597 lbs (485 lbs, or 11.8% more than a Macan S)

The facts are clear. The Macan is much closer in weight to the Cayenne than the 991. Saying it over, and over again does not make the Macan a four door 991. Just because Porsche marketing claims it is a four door 991 does not make it one. I have a Macan S, it is a great compact SUV, but it drives like my wife's Cayenne with a 400 pound weight loss.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 PM
K-A
Drifting

I think you, and the dog, are living a great life. Keep the 991 with the 7 speed MT (old school style), and the dog will respect you more too... As for the comments from others about the Macan being closer to the 991 than a Cayenne, here are some facts. Source - Porsche USA Website. Base 991 weight with PDK: 3,086 lbs Base Macan S (PDK): 4,112 lbs (1,026 lbs, or 33.2% more than a 991) Base Cayenne (auto): 4,488 lbs (376 lbs, or 9.1% more than a Macan S) Cayenne S (auto): 4,597 lbs (485 lbs, or 11.8% more than a Macan S) The facts are clear. The Macan is much closer in weight to the Cayenne than the 991. Saying it over, and over again does not make the Macan a four door 991. Just because Porsche marketing claims it is a four door 991 does not make it one. I have a Macan S, it is a great compact SUV, but it drives like my wife's Cayenne with a 400 pound weight loss.
Mine feels very little like a Cayenne, certainly not one with weight loss. Save for the similar engine which also feels different in character thanks to a PDK. The Macan delivers a closer to "4 door 911" experience (as close as one could get right now), which is the point. When I drive a Cayenne. I certainly don't feel like I'm driving my car with 2 decent sized people in it (400 lbs), it's still considerably sportier in dynamics.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-A
Mine feels very little like a Cayenne, certainly not one with weight loss. Save for the similar engine which also feels different in character thanks to a PDK. The Macan delivers a closer to "4 door 911" experience (as close as one could get right now), which is the point. When I drive a Cayenne. I certainly don't feel like I'm driving my car with 2 decent sized people in it (400 lbs), it's still considerably sportier in dynamics.
Macan is clearly the SUV that emphasizes Sport characteristics, and does so better than any other SUV on the market today IMO. I love driving my wife's Macan, and when I do drive it, I drive it hard However, it is not anywhere near a 911 driving experience.

Quick Reply: 911 to Macan