Macan 2014-Current

Is there any difference in Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 07:17 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Is there any difference in Performance

I am going to order a fully loaded 2025 Macan GTS.
There is a no charge upgrade for the Adaptive Air Suspension incl Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
that offers a "Raised 10 mm"
The air suspension is raised 10 mm in comparison to the standard GTS air suspension.
My sales rep at the Porsche Dealership said, unequivocally, that the ONLY difference is that with this option, the car
is raised 10 mm. Does raising the car ONE CENTIMETER do anything ? Is there some performance enhancement
that is included in the proposed change but not elucidated and is not clear, even to the Porsche Sales staff ?
Old 05-20-2024, 08:10 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

This option is a trap, Do not select it. Practically speaking, raising the vehicle less than half an inch will have little to no impact on performance. Theoretically speaking, it will raising the center of gravity on a CUV ever so slightly reducing it's handling stability. What it does do in real life is that it take away a bit of the aggressive stance that the GTS is known for by matching it with the S. To me, this is a completely useless option that should not be offered. It wasn't for the first several years of the GTS and I really don't know why Porsche introduced this. It's available on the sports cars as there are some people who live and drive in areas where they feel they need that little bit of extra ground clearance to clear cobblestone roads and old driveways. But with the Macan, there's plenty of clearance even on it's lowest height setting and if one really needs just a bit more, just press the button to put the height into it's middle setting.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:40 AM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Completely agree and certainly not an "upgrade".
Old 05-21-2024, 10:51 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasetsu
This option is a trap, Do not select it. Practically speaking, raising the vehicle less than half an inch will have little to no impact on performance. Theoretically speaking, it will raising the center of gravity on a CUV ever so slightly reducing it's handling stability. What it does do in real life is that it take away a bit of the aggressive stance that the GTS is known for by matching it with the S. To me, this is a completely useless option that should not be offered. It wasn't for the first several years of the GTS and I really don't know why Porsche introduced this. It's available on the sports cars as there are some people who live and drive in areas where they feel they need that little bit of extra ground clearance to clear cobblestone roads and old driveways. But with the Macan, there's plenty of clearance even on it's lowest height setting and if one really needs just a bit more, just press the button to put the height into it's middle setting.
I so much appreciate your input. I will not choose this option on my configuration. Thanks !
Old 05-21-2024, 11:59 AM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

So without air suspensions option, GTS still has an option to raise/lower unlike other PASMs in S/T/base (only changes stiffness)?
Old 05-21-2024, 12:05 PM
Heli-Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, that is correct
Old 05-21-2024, 12:09 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by isugoo
So without air suspensions option, GTS still has an option to raise/lower unlike other PASMs in S/T/base (only changes stiffness)?
In the US, all GTS Macans have air suspension. Air suspension is not an option on US market Macan GTS. It's standard. This no cost option being discussed is to raise the ride height 10mm in all modes.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:30 PM
Guava
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have the same question, so I read through most of the thread about this (raised 10mm) topic. I think the car will just raise 10mm in the normal mode, and lower to the same height as all the GTS models is in Sport and Sport plus. Depending on what you want to feel during normal mode. Personally, I will not choose (raised 10mm) but I am looking for a used gen 3 GTS with PTV+ and some of those do have (raised 10mm) on it. Might as well live with it.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:30 PM
mark8
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The outgoing Turbo trim level had this "upgrade". So the option is probably hanging around from that legacy. As an owner with a 2020 Turbo, I'm looking to go the other way and lower the stance slightly with shorter links. It's on my to do list when I have some time this summer... I would stick with the standard GTS Air Suspension if it were me.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:55 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

In the US, all GTS Macans have air suspension. Air suspension is not an option on US market Macan GTS. It's standard. This no cost option being discussed is to raise the ride height 10mm in all modes.
Got it. So all US GTS are equipped with air suspensions with GTS stance but you have an option to order with 10 mm higher version of air suspensions?
Old 05-21-2024, 08:05 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by isugoo
Got it. So all US GTS are equipped with air suspensions with GTS stance but you have an option to order with 10 mm higher version of air suspensions?
Correct.
It's a pointless option for the Macan GTS and a trap for newbie buyers tempted into checking every box in the performance section of the configurator.
The following users liked this post:
isugoo (05-21-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 06:43 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Correct.
It's a pointless option for the Macan GTS and a trap for newbie buyers tempted into checking every box in the performance section of the configurator.
Since it is a no cost option on the GTS, why is it even being offered ?
Old 05-23-2024, 06:51 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by malibu515
Since it is a no cost option on the GTS, why is it even being offered ?
That's a question that everyone has. See my first reply in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/14...l#post19449661
As I mentioned, some buyers may believe they need that extra 0.4" of ground clearance on their low clearance sports cars but on a CUV that is meant to do some soft roading at most and already has the ability to be raised up at the press of a button, it makes no sense to me why it's available for the Macan.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:24 PM
mark8
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a question that everyone has. See my first reply in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/14...l#post19449661
As I mentioned, some buyers may believe they need that extra 0.4" of ground clearance on their low clearance sports cars but on a CUV that is meant to do some soft roading at most and already has the ability to be raised up at the press of a button, it makes no sense to me why it's available for the Macan.
I'm fairly certain this is to retain backward compatibility. If someone is coming from a Gen2 Turbo and wants that ride height again (not sure who would), this would get them exactly that. I presume it's programming only, as the parts are the same in Gen2 between GTS and Turbo.

Last edited by mark8; 05-23-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:49 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark8
I'm fairly certain this is to retain backward compatibility. If someone is coming from a Gen2 Turbo and wants that ride height again (not sure who would), this would get them exactly that. I presume it's programming only, as the parts are the same in Gen2 between GTS and Turbo.
As an alternative, does the Macan GTS suffer in ride quality if I have my mechanic lower the car ? Would it defeat the PASM that comes with the car ?

Quick Reply: Is there any difference in Performance