Macan 2014-Current

Cayenne vs Macan Quandary Resolved Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 06:30 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Default Cayenne vs Macan Quandary Resolved Today

I've always been impressed with the Macan. After driving one recently, I became even more enthused about it.

Only exception being for me - the lack of space for rear seat passengers and to a lesser degree the rear cargo area.

Plus - some longer term concern about the PDK...

So based on that I decided to look more closely at the Cayenne.

Earlier today I drove a 2021 S, and I came away with zero affinity for it. The design (by comparison to the Macan) is uninspired. Really more of a "utility" vehicle to me. The car in routine casual driving felt heavy and lethargic. When I did push it however - it clearly behaved like a Porsche. There was nothing special about it - refrigerator white with a stark black (mostly vinyl / plastic interior.) Original MSRP was just under $100k. It seems like Porsche is relying heavily on the strength / power of the brand to drive sales of a Cayenne like this one.

Perhaps I can make the size of the Macan work... It's a Porsche worth owning.

Last edited by Ironman88; 11-14-2023 at 06:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
chassis (11-14-2023), Llarry (11-15-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 08:36 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I've always been impressed with the Macan. After driving one recently, I became even more enthused about it.

Only exception being for me - the lack of space for rear seat passengers and to a lesser degree the rear cargo area.

Plus - some longer term concern about the PDK...

So based on that I decided to look more closely at the Cayenne.

Earlier today I drove a 2021 S, and I came away with zero affinity for it. The design (by comparison to the Macan) is uninspired. Really more of a "utility" vehicle to me. The car in routine casual driving felt heavy and lethargic. When I did push it however - it clearly behaved like a Porsche. There was nothing special about it - refrigerator white with a stark black (mostly vinyl / plastic interior.) Original MSRP was just under $100k. It seems like Porsche is relying heavily on the strength / power of the brand to drive sales of a Cayenne like this one.

Perhaps I can make the size of the Macan work... It's a Porsche worth owning.
What Macan spec are you comparing the Cayenne to?
Old 11-14-2023, 08:47 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chassis
What Macan spec are you comparing the Cayenne to?
I've driven both the GTS and S. I like them both.

(My wife's car is a '21 SQ5 - I believe that engine is the same one that's in the Macan S.)

The GTS had the 2.9L similar to the one in the Cayenne S that I drove today.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

I think for us, and our 2-person + occaisional 3rd person, lifestye our Macan GTS is the perfect fit. It's got the styling looks, some skooch and some comforts to make it a great daily driver. Coming from a history of small Porsche sports cars I find it's got enough of the historial DNA to keep me happy. The Cayenne? Not so much.

May I present our Florida cottage daily driver...
The following 5 users liked this post by Zeus993:
Ironman88 (11-15-2023), Llarry (11-15-2023), Paul125 (11-16-2023), Penstamin (11-15-2023), Russian Mafia (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 01:04 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I had a 2020 Cayenne Hybrid and test drove the S. Several months ago I sold the Cayenne, tested the Macan S and purchased a Macan GTS. I think of Cayennes as extremely impressive SUVs that handle really well for their size and height but aren't exciting the way most Porsches are. I never felt a 911 pedigree. The Macan on the other hand is more like a sports car in a small SUV body where the Porsche pedigree can clearly be felt. I never wondered why I wanted to have a 911 along with the Cayenne but I have those thoughts now with the Macan. The Cayenne makes the best of the utility it provides whereas the Macan makes for grins first and utility second.
The following 2 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
Ironman88 (11-16-2023), WasabiPeas (11-17-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 05:26 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

When you research the PDK (not really a PDK), percentage-wise, there's not a lot of problems. More with early transfer cases. Go find and drive a Macan Turbo 3.6. Plenty of hp and lb.ft of torque. There's a nice, well-equipped white with garnet on the other forum right now at a very reasonable price.
The following users liked this post:
FRUNKenstein (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 05:54 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
When you research the PDK (not really a PDK), percentage-wise, there's not a lot of problems. More with early transfer cases. Go find and drive a Macan Turbo 3.6. Plenty of hp and lb.ft of torque. There's a nice, well-equipped white with garnet on the other forum right now at a very reasonable price.
I'll have to pull information together on the PDK (or PDK-like) transmission in the Macan.

I've had a 911 with a PDK ('09 C2S - first year it was offered in a 911.) No problems with mine. However I've spent substantial time on the 997 forum and through that have become familiar with the nature of the problems that have occurred on that model. The concern is that in most instances, the transmissions have to be replaced rather than being able to be repaired. Very expensive proposition to have to face.

The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 12:12 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I'll have to pull information together on the PDK (or PDK-like) transmission in the Macan.

I've had a 911 with a PDK ('09 C2S - first year it was offered in a 911.) No problems with mine. However I've spent substantial time on the 997 forum and through that have become familiar with the nature of the problems that have occurred on that model. The concern is that in most instances, the transmissions have to be replaced rather than being able to be repaired. Very expensive proposition to have to face.
After doing some online research and speaking with a knowledgeable mechanic friend, this is the conclusion I have come to about the Macan PDK:
The PDK on the Macan is actually an Audi DSG that dates back to about 2008. You know, the ones that sometimes stop shifting correctly after a few years. The good news is that there are 2 parts to the tranny: the hardware (gears and such) and the electronics (aka Mechatronic valve body and circuit boards). Apparently, 99% of the time, it's the Mechatronic. It's also a DIY repair - drop the pan and the Mechatronics unit is right there for the swappin'. You can get a rebuilt Mechatronic unit for $700, or you can buy a circuit board repair kit for anywhere from $150 to $580. Plus fluids, it isn't a deal killer. Now, had you taken your Macan to a Porsche dealer, they would quote you $20,000 for a new tranny. That's just how they roll. Although, if it is still under warranty, apparently Porsche will also just do the Mechatronic swap with a new unit costing (Porsche) about $2,800.

And full disclosure, that Carrara White Metallic over Garnet Turbo for sale here in the Marketplace and on MacanForum that NCTrackrat is referring to is mine. It’s my 4th Macan. We’ve had 2 Cayennes (my son still drives one), and although I like the Cayennes, the Macan is a completely different animal, the main difference being how it drives. To me, it’s a tall 911 with a usable back seat and cargo area. With only one kid left in the house, it’s a far better option than the Cayenne. I will be replacing the white ‘17 Turbo with another Macan.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 11-19-2023 at 12:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by FRUNKenstein:
chassis (11-19-2023), Ironman88 (11-19-2023), Russian Mafia (11-20-2023), utahphunk (11-19-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:27 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

When I bought my VW GTI in 2008, it came with PDK and I was concerned enough to buy the extended warranty. It was my first PDK equipped car and when I sold it 250Kmiles later, it'd never given me any problem at all. The car also had stage 2 ECU programm to increase about 20% of its torque and power but the PDK didn't miss a beat. I was very punctual with the 40Kmile service on the tranny because I did it myself and when I sold it to a highscool kid, I thought it could go easily another 100K miles. Having said that, the mechatronic unit was recalled by VW at 10K miles and I did it just because it was free. Between the VW Golf R and Macan S/GTS, I'm now looking for my last daily driver that can take me into retirement, hopefully in 5-7 yrs.
The following 3 users liked this post by sacman:
Ironman88 (11-20-2023), Russian Mafia (11-20-2023), Terry Adams (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 03:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by sacman
When I bought my VW GTI in 2008, it came with PDK and I was concerned enough to buy the extended warranty. It was my first PDK equipped car and when I sold it 250Kmiles later, it'd never given me any problem at all. The car also had stage 2 ECU programm to increase about 20% of its torque and power but the PDK didn't miss a beat. I was very punctual with the 40Kmile service on the tranny because I did it myself and when I sold it to a highscool kid, I thought it could go easily another 100K miles. Having said that, the mechatronic unit was recalled by VW at 10K miles and I did it just because it was free. Between the VW Golf R and Macan S/GTS, I'm now looking for my last daily driver that can take me into retirement, hopefully in 5-7 yrs.
Sounds like my Son's 2022 GTI. Drives it like he stole it.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs Macan Quandary Resolved Today