Porsche Macan 20k Miles Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 01:01 PM
JChen
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porsche Macan 20k Miles Service

Hello all,

My 21' Macan is nearing a 20k service and getting a message on the dash to have it serviced at dealer. I know every 20k miles is considered a major service which I called around to several dealers giving me quotes between $1,000-$1,600+tax (this would include oil change, brake fluid flush, cabin air filter replacement, and overall check of vehicle). Rather just take to indy shop which can be done for way cheaper, but I am wondering if I don't service this 20k service at dealer if that would potentially hinder/void my factory and CPO warranty (6years/unlimited miles total).
Old 11-13-2023, 01:22 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Indy or DIY maintenance does not affect warranty coverage, if the DIY or Indy work was done with proper parts, materials and procedures, and is documented.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:39 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by JChen
Hello all,

My 21' Macan is nearing a 20k service and getting a message on the dash to have it serviced at dealer. I know every 20k miles is considered a major service which I called around to several dealers giving me quotes between $1,000-$1,600+tax (this would include oil change, brake fluid flush, cabin air filter replacement, and overall check of vehicle). Rather just take to indy shop which can be done for way cheaper, but I am wondering if I don't service this 20k service at dealer if that would potentially hinder/void my factory and CPO warranty (6years/unlimited miles total).
A brake fluid flush, even at the Porsche dealership should cost $300 or less (even that's ridiculous.) Oil change - another $250 (again, ridiculous.) The multi-point vehicle check is usually done by the dealership for free when the car is in for the oil change. That means that they would be charging you anywhere from $450 to $1,050 to do the cabin filter replacement (basing that on the $1000 to $1600 original quotes). (Changing the cabin filter is so easy - there are several YouTube videos that you can reference. It takes about 5 minutes to do - even if you've never done it yourself before.) The cabin filter itself is about $35 or so.

If it was my car, I would consider having the Porsche dealership do the brake fluid flush and the oil change (along with the multi-point check). And then replace the cabin filter myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
chassis (11-13-2023), JChen (11-14-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 04:59 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
A brake fluid flush, even at the Porsche dealership should cost $300 or less (even that's ridiculous.) Oil change - another $250 (again, ridiculous.) The multi-point vehicle check is usually done by the dealership for free when the car is in for the oil change. That means that they would be charging you anywhere from $450 to $1,050 to do the cabin filter replacement (basing that on the $1000 to $1600 original quotes). (Changing the cabin filter is so easy - there are several YouTube videos that you can reference. It takes about 5 minutes to do - even if you've never done it yourself before.) The cabin filter itself is about $35 or so.

If it was my car, I would consider having the Porsche dealership do the brake fluid flush and the oil change (along with the multi-point check). And then replace the cabin filter myself.
If the car is still under warranty, I would be careful about doing any part of the service outside of the dealer. One dealership I go to is fine with it, another refused to reset my service interval lights unless they did everything on the checklist. So check with the dealership first.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:12 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
If the car is still under warranty, I would be careful about doing any part of the service outside of the dealer. One dealership I go to is fine with it, another refused to reset my service interval lights unless they did everything on the checklist. So check with the dealership first.
Regarding the dealership that would "refuse" to reset the condition based service indicator - I would bring that to the attention of Porsche Cars North America
Customer Service: 1-800-767-7243.

If the dealer still refused - I would have a face to face conversation with the facility GM or redirect to another Porsche dealer. A reputable independent shop should be able to reset the service indicator.

The following users liked this post:
WillinEvergreen (11-18-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 10:04 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Regarding the dealership that would "refuse" to reset the condition based service indicator - I would bring that to the attention of Porsche Cars North America

If the dealer still refused - I would have a face to face conversation with the facility GM or redirect to another Porsche dealer. A reputable independent shop should be able to reset the service indicator.
Or just buy a basic scan tool.
The following 2 users liked this post by BMinSFL:
chassis (11-18-2023), Lebreeze (11-19-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 10:16 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
Or just buy a basic scan tool.
Many of the scanners will not work on 2022+ Porsche cars. I know my Autel will not.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:27 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

I don't think this will do any good. The dealer has a right to refuse the reset if they can't be sure all the work was completed. Reseting the service interval counter is in effect a certification all work was performed and verified by that dealer. The one dealer who will reset the interval counter trusts me because I have dealt with them before and they have personnaly inspected the car to be sure I did all the service I claimed.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:53 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
I don't think this will do any good. The dealer has a right to refuse the reset if they can't be sure all the work was completed. Reseting the service interval counter is in effect a certification all work was performed and verified by that dealer. The one dealer who will reset the interval counter trusts me because I have dealt with them before and they have personnaly inspected the car to be sure I did all the service I claimed.
Certification that an oil change was done - ok. Certification that the brake fluid was flushed - ok.

Refusal to reset the service indicator because they can't "certify" that the cabin filter was changed (when the customer did so)? Idiotic.

Old 11-18-2023, 04:25 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Certification that an oil change was done - ok. Certification that the brake fluid was flushed - ok.

Refusal to reset the service indicator because they can't "certify" that the cabin filter was changed (when the customer did so)? Idiotic.
Cabin filters and air filters are easy to check. Just look for the nice new surfaces. Oil and brake fluid are much harder. Nonetheless its a matter of trust and the dealership's butt is on the line if a month later an engine fails because the user did his own service and did not change an oil filter and the dealer signed off on the maintenance. I always consider reseting the service interval lights to be a courtesy, not a right of ownership.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:34 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

iCarsoft CR Pro turns off the maintenance interval light on a MY2020 Cayenne.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
Cabin filters and air filters are easy to check. Just look for the nice new surfaces. Oil and brake fluid are much harder. Nonetheless its a matter of trust and the dealership's butt is on the line if a month later an engine fails because the user did his own service and did not change an oil filter and the dealer signed off on the maintenance. I always consider reseting the service interval lights to be a courtesy, not a right of ownership.
Dealers certainly are going to adopt their own view and policy on this. But I really find the notion of them refusing to reset the service indicator system to be ridiculous. I do disagree with you of it being a courtesy and not a right of ownership.

If you were renting the vehicle from the dealer (dealer retained ownership of it) and were obligated to pay for the maintenance - then certainly. The dealer as the owner of the vehicle has the right to make the call to refuse to reset the service indicator unless they do the maintenance there. It's their car, their investment, and they have vested custody of the future value of the vehicle.

If you purchase the car though - different situation entirely.

In that situation, Porsche cannot require you to have the maintenance done at a Porsche facility in order to keep the warranty valid. Porsche engineers the car to require that the maintenance system be reset. Since Porsche has custody and control of the ability to reset the maintenance system - there is an obligation for them to reset the service indicator system if the customer asks them to do so. If the dealership believes that in doing so it legally constitutes their endorsement that the service was done, they can always opt to have the customer sign a waiver indicating that the customer asked for the system to be reset and that the dealership did not in any way do the maintenance or verify that the maintenance was done. The dealership in this instance is justified in charging for resetting the system for the customer.

Old 11-18-2023, 06:41 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

In that situation, Porsche cannot require you to have the maintenance done at a Porsche facility in order to keep the warranty valid. Porsche engineers the car to require that the maintenance system be reset. Since Porsche has custody and control of the ability to reset the maintenance system - there is an obligation for them to reset the service indicator system if the customer asks them to do so. If the dealership believes that in doing so it legally constitutes their endorsement that the service was done, they can always opt to have the customer sign a waiver indicating that the customer asked for the system to be reset and that the dealership did not in any way do the maintenance or verify that the maintenance was done. The dealership in this instance is justified in charging for resetting the system for the customer.
True Porsche cannot require you to have service performed at a dealership. But they can require you to provide evidence the service was performed in accordance with their criteria if you want them to sign off on it. You cannot force Porsche to sign off on maintenance done by someone else just because you want them to do it as a customer. As far as I know, you can drive and operate the car without the interval being reset. And you can have any indy with a proper scanner do it as well. If you can provide evidence that the maintenance work was done, and the dealer still refuses the reset, then I think this is another matter.

I have never heard of any dealership providing a written waiver to reset service intervals. IMHO this is all about potential catastrophic failure coverage under warranty. From Porsche's perspective, having the dealership reset the interval lights is tacit approval that all the maintenance was done in accordance with Porsche standards. If a warranty failure occurs later related to this maintenance they are on the hook for the costs.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:53 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
True Porsche cannot require you to have service performed at a dealership. But they can require you to provide evidence the service was performed in accordance with their criteria if you want them to sign off on it. You cannot force Porsche to sign off on maintenance done by someone else just because you want them to do it as a customer. As far as I know, you can drive and operate the car without the interval being reset. And you can have any indy with a proper scanner do it as well. If you can provide evidence that the maintenance work was done, and the dealer still refuses the reset, then I think this is another matter.

I have never heard of any dealership providing a written waiver to reset service intervals. IMHO this is all about potential catastrophic failure coverage under warranty. From Porsche's perspective, having the dealership reset the interval lights is tacit approval that all the maintenance was done in accordance with Porsche standards. If a warranty failure occurs later related to this maintenance they are on the hook for the costs.
I think you're improvising on that one...

Suffice to say - we don't share the same perspective.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:03 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you're improvising on that one...

Suffice to say - we don't share the same perspective.
To some extent you have to bear in mind what they might do above and beyond your legal right.

I have a friend who got one of the last 928 engines free out of guarantee who happened to be a lifelong customer and keen collector.

No cheap indy for him.

Quick Reply: Porsche Macan 20k Miles Service