Notices
Macan 2014-Current

2019 - 2020 Macan to replace CX-5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 03:45 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,692 Likes on 643 Posts
Default 2019 - 2020 Macan to replace CX-5?

After two CR-Vs, we purchased a new CX-5, and my wife just hasn't fallen for it.
With a Cayman S as the other half of the garage, she's keen on a Macan (base or S, not Turbo or GTS for reasons described below).

I've been unable though to resolve a few questions, assuming of course the 4WD system has some level of competency:
  • What's a good A/T wheel and tire combination? Assume some combination of 18- or 19-inch standard wheels, and what possible max width recommend without suspension modifications? The Geolandar has served us well through many years' mud and snow.
  • Is the rear tow hook readily accessible for permanent installation (as our house access sometimes needs trees hauling, or passerby recovery).

A local shop is selling a 60mm lift kit, and this seems a little excessive?
Notably as it looks more for style than actual utility...

General comment on utilizing the utility part equally with the sport part of a Macan great appreciated...

Old 09-11-2023, 11:34 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

I run winter tires on my Macan S and it is essentially unstoppable in difficult conditions.. deep snow, ice, etc are no problems and actually a lot of fun to drive in. Can't comment on all-season tires as I prefer to run dedicated summer tires + winter tires but those Geolanders look pretty serious assuming you can find sizes that work for the Macan. If you go to the Yokohama website you can put in the vehicle details and stock wheel sizes and it will tell you which tire models will fit.

For your usage, I'd also recommend the air suspension option as it will give you a relatively easy way to get more ground clearance quickly without needing to install a lift kit. There is also an 'Off Road' mode but not sure exactly what that does. Assuming your CX-5 was stock the Macan will be a more than capable replacement not to mention much more interesting to drive.

The rear tow hook is also easily accessible as it is behind a small plastic cover on the lower right of the rear bumper. If you leave the cover off you can have the tow hook in there full time.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:51 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

It's too bad she hasn't taken to the CX-5. We have a 2020 base CX5 alongside our Macan & 911 (primarily our kids'car though I'm dailying it right now given the eldest is off to college) and IMO the CX5 is amazing. Especially for the $$. Fun around town. Handles great. Macan has a totally different feel. Far more secure & planted but arguably less fun around town. Sort of a Miata/Boxster argument. Net: Macan is a great move from the CX5. +1 to the comments about bad weather though -- again -- our CX5 has been unstoppable in the snow/crud with the right tires.
The following users liked this post:
Paul125 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 09:19 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vise
I run winter tires on my Macan S and it is essentially unstoppable in difficult conditions.. deep snow, ice, etc are no problems and actually a lot of fun to drive in. Can't comment on all-season tires as I prefer to run dedicated summer tires + winter tires but those Geolanders look pretty serious assuming you can find sizes that work for the Macan. If you go to the Yokohama website you can put in the vehicle details and stock wheel sizes and it will tell you which tire models will fit.
For your usage, I'd also recommend the air suspension option as it will give you a relatively easy way to get more ground clearance quickly without needing to install a lift kit. There is also an 'Off Road' mode but not sure exactly what that does. Assuming your CX-5 was stock the Macan will be a more than capable replacement not to mention much more interesting to drive.
The rear tow hook is also easily accessible as it is behind a small plastic cover on the lower right of the rear bumper. If you leave the cover off you can have the tow hook in there full time.
Thanks, as your comment about the air-suspension setting of an off-road mode triggered an investigation into that option, and the additional lift would seem a good idea.
The manufacturer recommendations are typically for an OEM-sized tire, and for our CR-Vs and CX-5, we've fitted what is known locally as a +1, which is one size up, hence the question about recommended sizes.
The reason too an A/T tire is preferred is general off-road, including mud is a regular occurrence (this week's rain event above) and routine summer tires are a bit light in that capability, otherwise a dedicated set of winters would make sense.
I would expect the +1 variation within the 18- to 20-inch OEM-sized tire range though as being OK, but wanted to check!

Your comment too on the location of the tow-hook allowed me to source some pics, and it looks like the CX solution, would also work nicely on the Macan (trying to fit a hook for a recovery strap in the snow isn't fun):

Originally Posted by stiles_s
It's too bad she hasn't taken to the CX-5. We have a 2020 base CX5 alongside our Macan & 911 (primarily our kids'car though I'm dailying it right now given the eldest is off to college) and IMO the CX5 is amazing. Especially for the $$. Fun around town. Handles great. Macan has a totally different feel. Far more secure & planted but arguably less fun around town. Sort of a Miata/Boxster argument. Net: Macan is a great move from the CX5. +1 to the comments about bad weather though -- again -- our CX5 has been unstoppable in the snow/crud with the right tires.
Yeah, we bought the CX over the new CR-V because of the better off road capability (and that the CR-V was fugly chintz these days).
I love it; the HUD, off-road security, looks in Crystal Red, pseudo-paddle mode, brilliant navi and Bose audio, but the main driver suggests she does not feel as planted as the CR-V (or Cayman)...

Thanks both, as the range of Macan seems quite extensive, and auction start prices are good too:

Old 09-22-2023, 12:10 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

FWIW, I’m not sure that the tow hook on the macan is an actual recovery point (may want to look into it and/or look for a unit with a tow hitch). The front hooks in their OEM form are not recovery points on the Cayenne, for example.

Here’s a thought on wheel/tire fitment possibilities (below is the recommended fitment from Mantra which I would imagine to fit—albeit perhaps slightly aggressively)…

Never driven a Macan with air, but would definitely suggest you check one out. The versatility that the air suspension (especially coupled with the Porsche Active Suspension Management system required to have it) adds to the Cayenne is incredible, and I’d imagine it to be the same for the Macan.

…and on that note: ever consider looking for a Cayenne with PASM+Air? Having had our socks knocked off in a recent test drive of the CX-5/CX-50 Signature Turbo (and comparing it to driving a base Macan with no air suspension as a loaner vehicle), my wife and I agreed that the Macan (base, without air) offered zero benefit over the Mazda for that spot in our garage (we actually preferred the Mazda full stop). Air suspension and other options on the Macan almost surely would have changed the latter assessment, but would still not make it a better fit for the spot.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...meet-otis.html

The Cayenne with PASM+Air is an entirely different level of versatile with it’s true 4WD and 7,600# towing capacity, especially if you can find one with PTV+ (Porsche torque vectoring) which adds locking differentials to the mix and/or PDCC with its adjustable sways (note: neither available on diesels). RSAmerica’s “Otis” (shown above) is a stock Cayenne Diesel on the factory PASM+Air without any lift; just a lot of added underbody protection, some lighting, and camping gear, and 140k+ off-road miles under his belt). If you can find a Cayenne with 18s or 20s the world’s your oyster for all-terrain tire options (though most in the Cayenne’s lean to Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s or AT3Wa’s), and even 19s offer a +1 fitment for Toyo Open Countries, Falken AT/Trails (a 958 favorite), or your Yoko’s. Just a thought!

Last edited by FormerRotor; 09-22-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:40 PM
crunch527
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 22 CX5 Turbo…has some pep…yet I still want a Macan GTS…I think I paid $38K for the Mazda brand new…its been flawless and a great daily. Haven’t been able to justify the almost 3x price of the Macan but I am slowly working in that direction…
Old 09-23-2023, 10:40 AM
catsailr27
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After our '17 CX-5 Signature took a tree limb to the roof I started looking for something similar but upgraded in all depts. Initially looked at CX-5 Signature T but decided on going more performance/lux to fill the void between the Lotus and the '00 F250. The Macan GTS has ticked all those boxes but I sure do miss the CX-5 HUD!
Old 09-23-2023, 03:05 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by catsailr27
After our '17 CX-5 Signature took a tree limb to the roof I started looking for something similar but upgraded in all depts. Initially looked at CX-5 Signature T but decided on going more performance/lux to fill the void between the Lotus and the '00 F250. The Macan GTS has ticked all those boxes but I sure do miss the CX-5 HUD!
Yeah, we have both (a '18 Macan S and a '20 CX5 base) and I end up driving the CX5 more around town. It's got a bit of a "fun to drive hard at legal speeds" going on (like the Miata) where the Macan is just more relaxed. Plus it gets about 60% better gas mileage.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:04 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
FWIW, I’m not sure that the tow hook on the macan is an actual recovery point (may want to look into it and/or look for a unit with a tow hitch). The front hooks in their OEM form are not recovery points on the Cayenne, for example.
Here’s a thought on wheel/tire fitment possibilities (below is the recommended fitment from Mantra which I would imagine to fit—albeit perhaps slightly aggressively)…
Never driven a Macan with air, but would definitely suggest you check one out. The versatility that the air suspension (especially coupled with the Porsche Active Suspension Management system required to have it) adds to the Cayenne is incredible, and I’d imagine it to be the same for the Macan.
…and on that note: ever consider looking for a Cayenne with PASM+Air? Having had our socks knocked off in a recent test drive of the CX-5/CX-50 Signature Turbo (and comparing it to driving a base Macan with no air suspension as a loaner vehicle), my wife and I agreed that the Macan (base, without air) offered zero benefit over the Mazda for that spot in our garage (we actually preferred the Mazda full stop). Air suspension and other options on the Macan almost surely would have changed the latter assessment, but would still not make it a better fit for the spot.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...meet-otis.html
The Cayenne with PASM+Air is an entirely different level of versatile with it’s true 4WD and 7,600# towing capacity, especially if you can find one with PTV+ (Porsche torque vectoring) which adds locking differentials to the mix and/or PDCC with its adjustable sways (note: neither available on diesels). RSAmerica’s “Otis” (shown above) is a stock Cayenne Diesel on the factory PASM+Air without any lift; just a lot of added underbody protection, some lighting, and camping gear, and 140k+ off-road miles under his belt). If you can find a Cayenne with 18s or 20s the world’s your oyster for all-terrain tire options (though most in the Cayenne’s lean to Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s or AT3Wa’s), and even 19s offer a +1 fitment for Toyo Open Countries, Falken AT/Trails (a 958 favorite), or your Yoko’s. Just a thought!
A lot of good points there, thanks.
Including the tire reference details, as I've used similar before and wanted to avoid crawling around under the car checking different sized up-sized tire clearances.
Air-sus seems to be the recommended option regardless for the work we would be asking a Macan to do too... so, thanks too for reiterating that.

I am perhaps over-stating the 'recovery' needs function, as it is really only to help drag tourists who often get into trouble on either snowy or muddy roads in and around our village.
Like the Benz above, that slid off the road on summer tires with ten cm of snow about.
Or, the Daihatsu Copen last season who was unable to climb a small incline and just kept sliding closer and closer to the edge.
The CX happily drags such with the A/T tires and 4WD, and in one case it wasn't until after I realized I had forgotten to put it in off-road mode entirely.
Other uses include dragging fallen trees and similar which otherwise can close our roads too, and on at least two other occasions we've dragged stuck farming equipment from muddy fields.
None of which I think fits into the heavy recovery needs... so, access to the regular tow hook should suffice.

On a Cayenne; too big!

Most fire trails and mountain paths we explore are kei-sized (as above) and the track of the CR-V (and CX now) are often too large and in some cases gets us into trouble.

Some bridges too...

Originally Posted by crunch527
I have a 22 CX5 Turbo…has some pep…yet I still want a Macan GTS…I think I paid $38K for the Mazda brand new…its been flawless and a great daily. Haven’t been able to justify the almost 3x price of the Macan but I am slowly working in that direction…
Same same, as the GTS come closes to the Cayman S, at least in straight line performance.

Originally Posted by catsailr27
Gah!
Yeah, the HUD is already one item we're preparing to lose, as it is a remarkably beneficial aid - both in routine driving and for the navi.

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Yeah, we have both (a '18 Macan S and a '20 CX5 base) and I end up driving the CX5 more around town. It's got a bit of a "fun to drive hard at legal speeds" going on (like the Miata) where the Macan is just more relaxed. Plus it gets about 60% better gas mileage.
Agreed, as jumping between the Cayman and the CX at this end does not disappoint, merely recalibrates the purpose; off-road, typhoon, snow, towing, shopping, load carrying, etc all being within purpose...

Thanks all as we're still looking at the auctions and resellers.
If you've got the time and are interested in Japan-spec Macan options, here's a sort that hopefully presents over 400 units for sale this week...

Old 09-25-2023, 11:03 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Friend of mine has a 2023 CX-5 with the 2.5l Turbo...it's shockingly good for the price. No, it's not quite on the same level as my Macan GTS, but I'd be tempted to do one over a base Macan. He has an intake, axle back exhaust, we just put corksport lowering springs on this past weekend, and he's got a tune for it coming...it's going to be damn potent for the price.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:03 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Friend of mine has a 2023 CX-5 with the 2.5l Turbo...it's shockingly good for the price. No, it's not quite on the same level as my Macan GTS, but I'd be tempted to do one over a base Macan. He has an intake, axle back exhaust, we just put corksport lowering springs on this past weekend, and he's got a tune for it coming...it's going to be damn potent for the price.
I feel the same about my used 2021 base. A few mods really open it up. Bone stock, it's ok, but with a tune, upgraded sway bars, better tires and the Sport Chrono/GT wheel add-on, it becomes an engaging performance mini-beast and I did not expect it at this level from a $50k or less SUV.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 09-25-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:40 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
On a Cayenne; too big!...
Most fire trails and mountain paths we explore are kei-sized (as above) and the track of the CR-V (and CX now) are often too large and in some cases gets us into trouble.
Ha! Great photo. Macan it is!
Old 11-09-2023, 09:16 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Ha! Great photo. Macan it is!
We're still Macan shopping, but here's a Mazda diversion for the otaku...

Quick Reply: 2019 - 2020 Macan to replace CX-5?