Macan 2014-Current

What’s Your Opinion as to Depreciation As ICE Moves Towards Electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 01:23 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts
Default What’s Your Opinion as to Depreciation As ICE Moves Towards Electric

As the world turns away from ICE production and towards EVs, it’s interesting to think about how values of ICE cars will be impacted. Will they depreciate more than normal? Less? How might this change over time? The Macan provides an interesting angle on this question with the new EV version expected soon and to be sold alongside ICE versions for an as of yet unknown period of time.

It seems there are scenarios where ICE vehicles actually appreciate. I can think of others where they depreciate significantly. I’m about to purchase a Macan GTS to replace a Cayenne e-Hybrid. I’m going to do it because I want to but here again, I can think of scenarios where the hybrid depreciates a little or a lot. Since I have no crystal ball, I’m just going to do what I want which is to enjoy the GTS for however long.

What’s your opinion as to ICE depreciation for Porsches and why?

Last edited by Russian Mafia; 06-13-2023 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hilander444 (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 03:14 PM
hilander444
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great question. I am also contemplating buying another ICE Macan within a year and have been asking myself the same. There are too many variables. We don't know by what % Porsche will reduce the number of ICE Macans produced, whether certain models will get dropped, the price premium for the EV version. etc.
Russian Mafia (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 04:38 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hilander444
Great question. I am also contemplating buying another ICE Macan within a year and have been asking myself the same. There are too many variables. We don't know by what % Porsche will reduce the number of ICE Macans produced, whether certain models will get dropped, the price premium for the EV version. etc.
You’re right, there are a lot of variables. Let’s assume for the sake of this, Porsche matches supply and demand at normal pricing. If one thinks that won’t happen, perhaps explain why not.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:28 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 644 Posts

I think ICE cars will only appreciate. EVs will remain a niche market until our country builds standardized infrastructure to support them. Which we are basically not doing at all.
The following 4 users liked this post by Nickshu:
gellenole (06-14-2023), Hulley (06-13-2023), rm4enjoyit (06-15-2023), Russian Mafia (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:45 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Problem with EV is the tech is improving rapidly, either range, charge speed, power,
some model see as much as 20% range improvement in just 2 model years, it's easy to see why the value of even a slightly used one plunge.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:02 PM
hilander444
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

These are just hypotheticals, but needing to shift production resources from ICE to EV or drop some V6 models due to EU emissions regulations
Old 06-13-2023, 06:13 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I think ICE cars will only appreciate. EVs will remain a niche market until our country builds standardized infrastructure to support them. Which we are basically not doing at all.
I don't think so. ICE will have a very long transition period and ICE cars will depreciate in the same manner they always have done.

EVs are officially no longer niche. A Tesla is now the highest selling vehicle in the world. Poor ole VW Golf, a car that held that title for quite some time. Things have changed.

"Special" cars will remain special as it relates to depreciation. e.g. 964, Carrera GT, AMG SL65, AMG SLS, GT40, etc. EVs have not had, and will not have, an effect on values for these cars.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:55 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Toyota is building an EV with a faux manual transmission that sounds like an ICE car. While other manufacturers start to focus on the fun factor and minimize the inconvenience of charging stops the value of gas burners will probably fade away.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:49 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

I keep most of my cars from new for 10+ years. So don't GAF about depreciation. As long as they don't take away the gas stations.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:57 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

There are so many variables....

1. How long will it take for EVs to carve meaningful marketshare?
2. What happens to EVs if synthetic fuels become real and are economic?
3. What cars are we talking about? I can see appliances like the Macan depreciating. A 911? Who wants an e911?
4. Then there's the slow burning adoption. I hated the idea of EVs not long ago. I now have a deposit on a Cybertruck that could very well replace my Macan.

I could go on, but you get the point.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:39 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wilder
There are so many variables....

1. How long will it take for EVs to carve meaningful marketshare?
2. What happens to EVs if synthetic fuels become real and are economic?
3. What cars are we talking about? I can see appliances like the Macan depreciating. A 911? Who wants an e911?
4. Then there's the slow burning adoption. I hated the idea of EVs not long ago. I now have a deposit on a Cybertruck that could very well replace my Macan.

I could go on, but you get the point.
5. Which party wins the next US presidential election.
6. New battery tech providing range that eliminates the need for charging stops.
7. Trade relationships with China.

Maybe a better approach for this topic and thread would have been: What issues can you think of that would affect ICE and EV depreciation? I don't want an all-electric 911 but might consider a hybrid.
Wilder (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 10:39 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

This is a subject of much speculation, seeing as we won't know what will happen in the next couple of years. So, the results remain to be seen.
Personally, I never take into account depreciation when I make a buying decision, so I don't let that bother or affect me. Most cars are not investments, they are assets that lose value.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:00 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 644 Posts

So many issues.

-Speculative promises on battery technology improving at a linear rate (which it appears not to be so).
-Lithium and cobalt will just be the new Oil, but the ethics involved in harvesting it are way worse than oil, and it looks like there really is not enough of it vs oil.
-Speculative promises on EV tech's ability to do things like operate in the extreme heat or extreme cold, tow anything, function for large applications like 18 wheelers, etc
-A power grid in the USA that is largely a joke, no effort being made to build power plants (likely Nuclear is the only solution) that would support widespread demand along with population growth.
-Lack of or failure of efforts on standardization of charging ports and electrical charging specifications for widespread distribution of power and charging stations (like have different size gas pumps for different car models)

I am not against EVs they are cool, but I think the future for the next 50+ years will be a mix of full EV, Hybrid, and Gas/diesel. The tech will progress and I hope it does, but right now there is so much gaslighting about what EVs really are or will be in the next 20 years it's just silly.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:22 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Less supply of gas powered cars=higher prices (or at least less depreciation)
Russian Mafia (06-17-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 11:05 AM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I think "special" gas powered cars will continue to appreciate -- at least for a while. But at some point, as generations turn over, they'll also pass out of style. I'm in my mid 40s, and as I look at the younger generations, they have little interest in these huge, heavy, gas-guzzling American 1960s muscle cars that their fathers adored. Many of the young folks don't really understand why a Ferrari 328 or Lamborghini Countache were special to my generation at all. I think eventually that will happen with most ICE cars. Sure, perhaps a classically spec'd 911 Targa 4S will continue to have some appeal (red on tan, manual, etc without anything too quirky), but at some point a Macan is just another SUV in most people's eyes.

Lastly, if the Macan's estimated resale value 6-8 years from now is actually a determining factor in your purchase, then I encourage you to buy a used or CPO one today. Find a vehicle that has already experienced some of that depreciation. There are too many unknowns in the next ten years to take that gamble if the economics hinge on the answer for you. Make sense? And there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying used or CPO German cars. I've done it for decades with great results!

-James
Denver, CO
The following 2 users liked this post by JDailey:
Blu311 (06-23-2023), rasetsu (06-15-2023)

Quick Reply: What’s Your Opinion as to Depreciation As ICE Moves Towards Electric