Notices
Macan 2014-Current

2022 Macan Gas Tank Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 10:51 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

It's good, I see a few on Santa's ignore list have chimed in as well. Let's see if we can make it 30 opinions half from people I block.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (12-19-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 12:43 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

A 3-gallon difference in a gas tank is a huge difference; it means you'll spend much more time going to gas stations with the smaller tank, whether it's local driving or long-distance driving. I'm glad I have a 2019 Macan with the larger tank. All my future cars will have a plug (whether PHEV or BEV). We're moving away from gas-tank worries and gas-station inconveniences rapidly, and that's a good thing; charging in your garage at home for a full "tank" every morning is heavenly...
Old 12-24-2021, 01:02 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
A 3-gallon difference in a gas tank is a huge difference; it means you'll spend much more time going to gas stations with the smaller tank, whether it's local driving or long-distance driving. I'm glad I have a 2019 Macan with the larger tank. All my future cars will have a plug (whether PHEV or BEV). We're moving away from gas-tank worries and gas-station inconveniences rapidly, and that's a good thing; charging in your garage at home for a full "tank" every morning is heavenly...
Add a few more 'family' cars to the 'charging heaven' and it will be far from pleasant. Add a need for an unplanned 500 mile round trip with no known charging points with a fancy pants Porsche and you have a serious problem. No, EV is far from ready for Prime Time.
The following 2 users liked this post by wwahl:
MrMarco (12-24-2021), Terry Adams (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 11:46 AM
MrMarco
Pro

..All my future cars will have a plug (whether PHEV or BEV). We're moving away from gas-tank worries and gas-station inconveniences rapidly, and that's a good thing; ...
Who is "we're." Who flipped a switch and decided that after more 50 years in a gasoline powered vehicle that "WE'RE" (not this guy) moving away from that. NO I AM NOT GOING TO DRIVE A F'N ELECTRIC CAR.
They can pry the key FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS
The following 2 users liked this post by MrMarco:
dak911 (12-26-2021), Gary S. (12-25-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 06:13 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

We as a society, as nations, are moving away from ICE-powered cars to EVs. It's inevitable and it's a good thing. If you're a true driver and spend any time with sporty EVs like the Taycan, you'll realize that they're really much better than ICEVs from the standpoint of pure driving pleasure. As far as "prime time", we are there for EVs now for local driving if you can plug in and charge at home; not going to gas stations is heavenly, and having a "full tank" every morning when leaving home saves lots of time in one's daily schedule avoiding gas stations (not to mention the not needing oil changes and so much other crap that goes with ICEV maintenance). It's only for road trips where EVs are generally not ready for "prime time", but some parts of the US and Canada are already prepared for road-tripping EVs, provided that you stay along the main cross-country limited-access highways; give it another 3-4 years, and the public-charging infrastructure will be much more built out than it is now (governments and private companies are throwing huge amounts of money at doing this now). Having driven numerous Taycans now, I can say that the forthcoming Macan BEV will be better than any ICE Macan, by *far* in terms of pure driving enjoyment (public-charging infrastructure aside).

Last edited by cometguy; 12-24-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:29 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Allrightythen
Old 12-24-2021, 06:46 PM
batcave1445
AutoX

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Generally, I agree with your comment. However, for those that still prefer an ICE Macan, we should not suffer degraded performance (reduced range) caused by the smaller gas tank. I would still like to know the rationale for changing 2022 models to 17.1 gallons, compared to 19.8 gallons for 2021 and earlier models. If the tank is reduced a few more gallons, it will have the same range as many EVs.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:19 AM
MrMarco
Pro

We as a society, as nations, are moving away from ICE-powered cars to EVs. It's inevitable and it's a good thing...
Wrong. You and others make the critical mistake of discounting current needs. No one needs an electric Porsche. In fact eliminating fossil fuels will KILL hundreds of thousands. Energy is how we get $#!+ done. Energy IS THE ECONOMY. Efforts to eliminate one form or another within even an extended period of time will result in catastrophic collapses around the world. The only people who will not suffer are the unelected global "central planners" who are hell bent on controlling you and your kids money.
buy whatever the he'll you want, but don't give me your "future " BS lined with the bodies of bus riders.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrMarco:
dak911 (12-26-2021), Terry Adams (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 02:36 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

I have a somewhat regular road trip of 305 miles each way. I tank up the Macan and arrive with about 75 miles to spare. EV range on the Taycan is 216 miles, I think. There is one charging station half way, and you need the adapter, even for a Taycan, and a 20 minute charge pause. Not necessary in the ICE Macan.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:37 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 966 Likes on 645 Posts

give it another 3-4 years, and the public-charging infrastructure will be much more built out than it is now (governments and private companies are throwing huge amounts of money at doing this now). Having driven numerous Taycans now, I can say that the forthcoming Macan BEV will be better than any ICE Macan, by *far* in terms of pure driving enjoyment (public-charging infrastructure aside).
IMO those numbers need a zero on the end...30-40 years, or maybe 20-30 years at least in the USA. Our pace has been glacial outside of the center of urban centers. We need to build like 20 nuclear power plants, a nationwide smart grid, and perfect solid state batteries before we will see EVs replace ICE vehicles completely, and even then EVs may still not be practical for hauling/towing and industrial applications. I agree we will see more hybrid applications for sure in the next 20 years. Much longer before we see EVs completely replace ICE applications, if at all. As far as enjoyment of driving an EV that is definitely a personal preference thing. I am not saying I won't end up owning an EV (I have already owned a PHEV) but I don't agree that EV's will fully replace ICE cars in our lifetimes.

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Wrong. You and others make the critical mistake of discounting current needs. No one needs an electric Porsche. In fact eliminating fossil fuels will KILL hundreds of thousands. Energy is how we get $#!+ done. Energy IS THE ECONOMY. Efforts to eliminate one form or another within even an extended period of time will result in catastrophic collapses around the world. The only people who will not suffer are the unelected global "central planners" who are hell bent on controlling you and your kids money.
buy whatever the he'll you want, but don't give me your "future " BS lined with the bodies of bus riders.
Agree. We will just replace fossil fuel mining with lithium mining. Fossil fuel refining with copper, battery production and recycling. The "oil companies" so many people claim to hate will just get replaced with those and things will be no different. Not to mention if we don't replace all fossil fuel based electricity production with nuclear, solar and wind (nuclear being really the only practical one), it will change nothing. It is worth noting, from a political perspective, fossil fuel production is largely private, while electricity production is largely government controlled. I'm not a big conspiracy person but you can see where this leads.

I am not against EVs, I just think many people are way optimistic about where we are at infrastructure and technology wise in the USA. The instant straight line torque is fun and EVs are great stoplight drag race cars for sure. I believe that the shift to EVs will hurt Porsche in the USA. However I am not sure Porsche cares much about the USA anymore. It's all about China and India. They will lose a lot of sales in the USA by going all electric long before the infrastructure is ready here, as long as they pick it up in those other markets it won't matter to them. It will just suck for us for a decade or so if we remain Porsche enthusiasts. IMO if Porsche cared about the USA market they would be building ICE plants here in the USA (as they will no longer be allowed to build them in Germany) to keep the US market going for them until the US infrastructure catches up. But that's just one car guys' opinion (me).

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-25-2021 at 06:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
dak911 (12-26-2021), MrMarco (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 02:12 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Well, fossil fuels are heavily subsidized in the US by the federal and state governments at over $20 billion per year. In numerous other countries, the subsidies are much more.
If governments pulled back on oil subsidies, the prices of gasoline would sky-rocket and the move toward EVs would be much much faster.
The changes are accelerating quickly now, after getting a slow start due mostly to Tesla in the past decade; don't underestimate how quickly the changes will take place now, with most automakers going all-in for designing and producing EVs this coming decade, and governments and private companies committing to support of EV adoption by building up the public-charging infrastructure quickly now. Look at Hertz and other rental-car agencies buying hundreds of thousands of BEVs for their fleets, and governments committing to buying BEVs over ICEVs; these will have huge effects on pushing the BEV industry past the ICEV industry during the 2020s. Whole new industries are being set up to recycle battery materials, because they are expensive to mine, so there's a good chance that recycling will soon negate the arguments about mining lithium and other battery metals (vs. fossil fuels, which are not recyclable). Yes, people a hundred years ago objected to automobiles replacing horses for transportation, and similar for the cellphone revolution replacing landline phones (and many other examples), but ICEVs will soon become harder to buy, depreciate much more quickly than BEVs, and be simply more expensive and harder to justify owning. I've enjoyed my ICE Porsches, but I'm eager and ready for the Porsche EV future.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:42 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

AND, you can always "PIPE IN" the ICE SOUND.... NO THANKS I'll stick with my 22 Macan S (if they quit the ICE's) till the wheels fall off...
Old 12-26-2021, 09:54 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 966 Likes on 645 Posts

Well, fossil fuels are heavily subsidized in the US by the federal and state governments at over $20 billion per year. In numerous other countries, the subsidies are much more.
If governments pulled back on oil subsidies, the prices of gasoline would sky-rocket and the move toward EVs would be much much faster.
The changes are accelerating quickly now, after getting a slow start due mostly to Tesla in the past decade; don't underestimate how quickly the changes will take place now, with most automakers going all-in for designing and producing EVs this coming decade, and governments and private companies committing to support of EV adoption by building up the public-charging infrastructure quickly now. Look at Hertz and other rental-car agencies buying hundreds of thousands of BEVs for their fleets, and governments committing to buying BEVs over ICEVs; these will have huge effects on pushing the BEV industry past the ICEV industry during the 2020s. Whole new industries are being set up to recycle battery materials, because they are expensive to mine, so there's a good chance that recycling will soon negate the arguments about mining lithium and other battery metals (vs. fossil fuels, which are not recyclable). Yes, people a hundred years ago objected to automobiles replacing horses for transportation, and similar for the cellphone revolution replacing landline phones (and many other examples), but ICEVs will soon become harder to buy, depreciate much more quickly than BEVs, and be simply more expensive and harder to justify owning. I've enjoyed my ICE Porsches, but I'm eager and ready for the Porsche EV future.
Your points are valid for sure. And as you know the government has subsidized EV development similarly and likely will continue to do so. My point is that I don't disagree that the evolution is happening, but it's not all marshmallows and kittens. We have a LONG way to go. It's much easier in smaller countries, like most infrastructure is.

The one thing we can agree on is that EV cars have basically halted all talk about replacing all cars and individual driving rights with public mass transit. That's a good thing for those of us who love cars and individual freedom of movement.

Boy we really hijacked this thread about Macan gas tank size.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:06 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Fossil fuels are subsidized to make heating and driving affordable for poor people. EVERY country throughs money at it so people don't DIE. If we eliminate them millions pf people will DIE. Besides how would the meth head who steals Christmas packages from my porch get around without his 1997 SENTRA?

There's a place in the world for an electric SUV, just like the fat tire bicycle. Some folks are putting CAR WHEELS and TIRES on bicycles now. Want one? Great. But don't make me replace my skinny tires because YOU think we should move in that direction.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:05 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
The one thing we can agree on is that EV cars have basically halted all talk about replacing all cars and individual driving rights with public mass transit.
Yep, that, and the pandemic.

Unfortunately it's too late to stop some of the more ridiculous planned expenditures in the public-transit sector in this area. There are going to be a lot of expensive empty trains running around here in a few 20 years.

Boy we really hijacked this thread about Macan gas tank size.
It pretty much ran its course by page 1. Shrinking the gas tank in an existing chassis is a weak-*** move, regardless of how the manufacturer spins it.

Quick Reply: 2022 Macan Gas Tank Capacity