Macan 2014-Current

2017 Macan GTS - Cobb tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 11:45 AM
O8X6al
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2017 Macan GTS - Cobb tuner

I’ve been eyeing the COBB Tuning Accessport to liven up my 2017 Macan GTS for our twisty mountain road commute. If anyone has done this ECU upgrade, can you share your experience and any downsides?

And while I’m at it…

Old 06-21-2021, 12:37 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...s-remorse.html

I'm looking for a Macan Turbo....because Cobb doesnt make an accessport for 2019+

Bottom line, Cobb was worth every single penny...and then some.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (07-20-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 01:14 PM
O8X6al
Intermediate

roadrat, interesting. I wonder if it's just a matter of time before the 2019+ Macan tuner comes out. Not sure how long it takes to develop the ECU maps, or if it is even worth building the SW for every generation of car.

Good to hear you thought it was worth it for your Macan S. From the performance maps, it looks like the low-end rpm boost is roughly the same for the S and GTS models. Did you have to switch back to the factory ECU map at any point (going to the dealer for maintenance, getting smog checked, for example)?
Old 06-21-2021, 01:27 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by O8X6al
roadrat, interesting. I wonder if it's just a matter of time before the 2019+ Macan tuner comes out. Not sure how long it takes to develop the ECU maps, or if it is even worth building the SW for every generation of car.

Good to hear you thought it was worth it for your Macan S. From the performance maps, it looks like the low-end rpm boost is roughly the same for the S and GTS models. Did you have to switch back to the factory ECU map at any point (going to the dealer for maintenance, getting smog checked, for example)?
I was only running it for about a year before I traded it in. I did remove it once for a dealer visit. Uninstalling and reinstalling is super easy.

Cobbs FAQ seem to indicate that they are not working on a 2019+ version.... sadly
Old 06-21-2021, 01:31 PM
O8X6al
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadrat
Uninstalling and reinstalling is super easy.
Good to know. Thanks for the input. I'll repost here if I end up going for it!
Old 06-24-2021, 11:42 AM
Seegoblu
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called Cobb and they ARE working on a tune for the 2020+ Macan GTS/Turbo ECU, but the chip set is all new and the encryption has yet to be cracked. They have no ETA on that process. In the end, if you want a current solution you're stuck with one of those options that merely overboosts the turbos, at least until COBB works their magic.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:46 AM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by Seegoblu
I just called Cobb and they ARE working on a tune for the 2020+ Macan GTS/Turbo ECU, but the chip set is all new and the encryption has yet to be cracked. They have no ETA on that process. In the end, if you want a current solution you're stuck with one of those options that merely overboosts the turbos, at least until COBB works their magic.
That's great news! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Bmoney003
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve been eyeing the COBB Tuning Accessport to liven up my 2017 Macan GTS for our twisty mountain road commute. If anyone has done this ECU upgrade, can you share your experience and any downsides?

And while I’m at it…

hey Man

I have one bascially bnib with everything included for sale. let me know if your interested, youll save a good chunk off buying new

thanks

Brian
Old 06-25-2021, 12:53 PM
O8X6al
Intermediate

Hi Brian, DM sent, thanks!
Old 06-25-2021, 11:58 PM
DeviousDog
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the Cobb on my 2018 Macan GTS. I didn’t think there was any discernible difference,
certainly not worth the $$$. I just installed a Pedal Commander. It transformer the car. In sport mode (pedal commander) it’s aggressive, in sport+ it’s a maniac. Lag has been eliminated. For $300 it’s a bargain, it’s a no brainer if you’re looking for improved performance.

The following 3 users liked this post by DeviousDog:
97c2s993 (07-10-2021), MrMarco (07-20-2021), mvmojo (08-02-2022)
Old 06-26-2021, 10:56 AM
O8X6al
Intermediate

Remapping the throttle response does sound enticing. Looks like it’s possible to do a combo, Cobb + Pedal Commander. Did you try that (to get the hp boost + throttle map improvement), or not worth the effort?
Old 06-26-2021, 12:02 PM
DeviousDog
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Remapping the throttle response does sound enticing. Looks like it’s possible to do a combo, Cobb + Pedal Commander. Did you try that (to get the hp boost + throttle map improvement), or not worth the effort?
I didn’t try both, I’d sold my Cobb before I came across the PC. I’d be inclined to try the PC first and see how you get on, especially given the price. If you do try both I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:22 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

The pedal commander just changes throttle response, no? I don't see how someone can say changing the throttle response changes the car but doing a tune which adds power doesn't do anything.
The Cobb is great, but Cobb's OTS maps they provide for free are not very good. You will need to spend some money on a good tune if you want the best experience out of the Cobb.
MrMarco (07-20-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 05:07 PM
O8X6al
Intermediate

Installed the Cobb tune on my car today. I used the Stage1 91 (95RON) calibration [California octane levels are at 91, at least where we live]. Overall the process took 8min4sec, including download of my stock tune, and upload of the new tuning map. Warning lights cycled through on the car during the upload, but they were all cleared once the process was complete. I hooked up a battery charger just in case, after being warned multiple times about battery drain on the Cobb website / manual / display. Probably no need, given how fast the process was, but better safe than sorry.

Took the car for a spin in the hills. There is a noticeable change in how punchy the car is, especially in the lower RPM ranges 2000-3500 in 2nd and 3rd gear. Having driven the car now for 3+ years, it really does liven it up a bit, especially when combined with Sport and Sport+ modes. I could not tell much difference in 4th gear and beyond. Getting on it from a standing start, there was a noticeable stuttered ‘whoosh’ from the turbos when shifting from 1st to 2nd at high rpm. Never noticed this noise before. High rpm 1st to 2nd gear shifts are not typical driving for me, so I’m willing to live with the whoosh.

Next step, see if Cobb provides a PDK map for the Macan GTS (last check they do not, but email is out to them). If not, then I’ll probably add on the PedalCommander recommended by DeviousDog, to keep playing around.

MrMarco (07-30-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 06:09 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Like DeviousDog I have both the Cobb tune and the Pedal Commander. Bought the Cobb tune 1st and had similar reactions thinking there was no 'significant' discernible difference. It was at best incremental. If you go to the Cobb website they describe graphically a detailed improvement over the Macan S. I think they mention a 15% HP improvement. Since the GTS (mine is an '18 GTS as well) is a incrementally tuned Macan S engine, the Cobb tune is therefore improved to the same level of the Macan S improvement, and not more, so only around 5% HP Increase for the GTS (my numbers are not exact, but not far off, and it's the concept that matters here). So the Cobb tune on the GTS is not that huge. The Pedal Commander, which I purchased and installed much later, while seemingly not improving HP, provides a 'head in the headrest' response when hitting the throttle - call it an earlier reaction to when you press the gas pedal, and a more rapid acceleration as well. Any lag from pressing the gas pedal can be eliminated and the acceleration more direct. So much so that my wife asks me to switch it off when she's in the car as it's too abrupt for her as a passenger .
I think the Cobb tune is still worth it - I am contemplating installing a map available from Flat6 Motorsports to get more out of it than the standard map that comes with the Cobb device.
All that said though, the Pedal Commander is a must have IMHO. For the money it's a no brainer.

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan GTS - Cobb tuner