Macan 2014-Current

2017 Macan GTS - Cobb tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 05:41 PM
ymaval
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O8X6al
Nice, you are one step ahead of me now... Lucky you have access to 92.
Do you still have your Cobb AP? Does it have stage 3 map files? If so, I'm interested in the files. The OTS files are not VIN locked and I would pay for them. Cobb stopped carrying them this year...

Last edited by ymaval; 08-01-2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Add a quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Has anyone heard of an Evoms tune for the gen 1 Macan GTS? My wife has a 2018 GTS and a local shop is offering an Evoms tune via OBD port. I researched and the only tuners I can find for the Macan are Cobb, softronics and the Cobb pro tuners like F6 motorsports and maybe GIAC is the other option. Anyone heard of an Evoms tune for the Macan?

Last edited by Cnair; 08-05-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:11 PM
ymaval
Intermediate

I have no info about Evoms. But I can share my experience with Cobb. If I didn’t have a high flow cat in the car, I’d go with softronic. I now have Cobb stage 3 which gets rid of cat efficiency CELs. But if I didn’t have the cat issue, I’d go with softronic. The way I understand it, softronic goes deeper into the ecu maps and therefore the car adjusts better to the hardware. Cobb in my opinion is not as smooth.
I personally am stuck with Cobb for now.

Originally Posted by Cnair
Has anyone heard of an Evoms tune for the gen 1 Macan GTS? My wife has a 2018 GTS and a local shop is offering an Evoms tune via OBD port. I researched and the only tuners I can find for the Macan are Cobb, softronics and the Cobb pro tuners like F6 motorsports and maybe GIAC is the other option. Anyone heard of an Evoms tune for the Macan?
Old 08-05-2022, 09:52 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ymaval
I have no info about Evoms. But I can share my experience with Cobb. If I didn’t have a high flow cat in the car, I’d go with softronic. I now have Cobb stage 3 which gets rid of cat efficiency CELs. But if I didn’t have the cat issue, I’d go with softronic. The way I understand it, softronic goes deeper into the ecu maps and therefore the car adjusts better to the hardware. Cobb in my opinion is not as smooth.
I personally am stuck with Cobb for now.
Have you tried a pro tune from flat 6 or BGB Motorsports?
Old 08-05-2022, 10:20 PM
ymaval
Intermediate

I haven’t. And I wish I could. I have heard good things about their tunes. But the only tune that gets rid of the CEL is Cobb OTS Stage 3 tune. Now me is offering a tune that prevents CEL anymore. so I’m going to stick to it for now.
Originally Posted by Cnair
Have you tried a pro tune from flat 6 or BGB Motorsports?
Old 08-17-2022, 02:00 AM
ymaval
Intermediate

Cobb Stage 3 ended in a failure. It didn't deliver on the promise: I get P0421 and P0431. (no more P0420&0P430 though). So the car is clever enough that Cobb can't fool it completely. ECU still detects awkward warmup. Waste of time and effort searching for the stage 3 tune files. The stage 3 tune also proved to be prone to occasional boost surge. I have had it with Cobb OTS maps. @$1350 I expected better. I won't waste time on them. They suck for my car. Every OTS map has its own issues in my car.

Good news: I tried the Vibrant 16119 J-style extender without any of the inserts to get rid of the CEL and it seems to have fixed the issue. 200miles, all kinds of driving, including hard pulls and I haven't had any codes stored. Whenever I see a code stored in DME, I know a CEL will happen eventually under right conditions. So, so far so good. This means I likely don't need stage 3 map anymore. I may try a pro tune for Cobb (recommended by a reputable forum member) or I may go against all reasonable advice I have received and try Softronic. At the end of the day, drivability is more important to me than max torque for me.

One interesting observation: As soon as you have an "active fault code", I have tried it numerous times. I can even tell exactly when it stores the fault code just from sound and performance. This is the case even if the code is emission related. Note that active fault code is not the same as CEL. CEL would be caused if a fault code has been active repeatedly in recent runs. If you have a CEL it means you occasionally (or all the time) have an active fault code. Active fault code translates to
significantly lower performance. Or at least that's the case on a tuned car.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:09 PM
frankfurtnyc
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running Cobb OTS Stage 1 93 Oct v208

The good:
More torque, for smoother acceleration without having to rev the engine out. I'd say more accessible power without drama.
No difference in mpg
Probably better acceleration numbers, personally not interested, so I have no GPS tested numbers.

The bad:
On OTS v208 map, the gas pedal became somewhat sensitive/touchy. It is definitely more difficult to find the right throttle input point to have a smooth start. I will at one point look into getting a ProTune and this is something I hope it will resolve.
Once in a while the car does not know which gear to choose for that particular throttle input (automatic mode). In manual mode, all seems fine.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Hope not too OT ...but I had the evomsit tune installed yesterday...car feels more punchy mid range but I honestly don't feel a huge difference. Are all basic tunes like this? To be honest it's my wife's daily so she would be in a better position to judge...I always found the Macan GTS to be a bit underpowered anyway.

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan GTS - Cobb tuner