Macan 2014-Current

Vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Vibration at idle

2015 Turbo. 80k miles. I've noticed a stronger than usual vibration at idle and the PDK in Drive. I thought it was just me being paranoid but it's noticeable enough to be annoying sometimes. I also noticed that it gets much better when I put the PDK in Neutral. Now I find this very strange because I had just assumed the clutch was fully disengaged when stopped, but it seems like maybe not?
What could it be? I noticed that the lower control arm on the drivers side is getting torn, so I am going to replace that. But I don't think it could cause this issue?
No codes
I've run a couple of tanks of fuel injector cleaner through it. I think maybe it got better but it could be totally psychological.
Plugs were replaced at 77k
I noticed some tears in the torque arm bushing which keeps the engine from rotating under load. I replaced that. No difference.
Battery was replaced 1k miles ago.
Only thing I can think of at this point could be a transmission mount or something but how do I check? I don't know where they are.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

Last edited by ozziegt; 05-05-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:56 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Worn suspension would not effect idle vibration when not moving. Engine mounts and transmission mounts? Sure.
I did my plugs in the fall, by time and millage under the manual. I swear it idled smoother, though the plugs looked perfect.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:24 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I had an engine mount replaced at ~35K. I thought it strange to have failed at such a low mileage...

The question would be how to diagnose a bad engine mount in a Macan.

...and, IIRC, the front subframe was removed to do the replacement (under warranty thank goodness)

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2021, 08:05 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Yeah I've heard replacing engine mounts sucks on these so I'm not even inclined to check if it's an engine mount; its not bad enough for me to replace one. I wonder how I can inspect the transmission mounts though.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:02 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Test the motor mounts and transmission mounts?
one person in the car, window down, hood open.
foot on brake, light throttle? Would that not torque the engine?
Old 05-08-2021, 02:36 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Test the motor mounts and transmission mounts?
one person in the car, window down, hood open.
foot on brake, light throttle? Would that not torque the engine?
I don't think it would. There is a torque arm on the passenger side of the engine that prevents the engine from rotating under load.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:15 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Dealer diagnosed excessive engine movement under load when stopped. They advised me to replace the torque arm that I had just replaced 6k miles ago. I did that without improvement, and so they have concluded it needs a new engine mount. 9 hours of labor to replace both. I hope my extended warranty company doesn't give me a hard time about replacing it! It is supposed to be covered. Kind of a bummer. The tech was certain it's the torque arm because he said he has never seen a Macan need a new engine mount.

Last edited by ozziegt; 02-19-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:24 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Just got 2017 GTS with 55k miles. extremely noticeable vibration at idle when starting the car in cold weather. After a min or two vibrations turn in to droanning as if i have bad aftermarket exhaust. After a short drive when car warms up gets allot better but at stop light still feel allot of vibration and when navigating parking.
Today when temps are mid 40s its not nearly as bad.
Also my horn stopped working yesterday, thank god for CPO so will be taking it in to check out both issues. Will report back.
The following users liked this post:
golovorub (02-22-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 11:56 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Also my horn stopped working yesterday, thank god for CPO so will be taking it in to check out both issues. Will report back.
Older Cayennes (esp. 957 series) had a lot of issues with dead horns due to a design which allowed water intrusion over time. Hope the Macans don’t start exhibiting this same issue as they acquire age/mileage.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:11 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

So im getting engine mounts and horn replaced. also the upper engine torsion bar had cracked bushings as well.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:28 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by malahhaor
So im getting engine mounts and horn replaced. also the upper engine torsion bar had cracked bushings as well.
Keep us in the loop, please. I'm curious if after all the work done and getting done it solves your problem. GL...
Old 05-22-2022, 04:46 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

sorry forgot about the thread. had engine mounts replaced as well as upper torsion bar. car idles nice and smooth. a touch of vibration at times but nothing to be writing home about.
The following users liked this post:
mustarossa (10-10-2023)
Old 08-04-2022, 06:27 PM
Msztab
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
2015 Turbo. 80k miles. I've noticed a stronger than usual vibration at idle and the PDK in Drive. I thought it was just me being paranoid but it's noticeable enough to be annoying sometimes. I also noticed that it gets much better when I put the PDK in Neutral. Now I find this very strange because I had just assumed the clutch was fully disengaged when stopped, but it seems like maybe not?
What could it be? I noticed that the lower control arm on the drivers side is getting torn, so I am going to replace that. But I don't think it could cause this issue?
No codes
I've run a couple of tanks of fuel injector cleaner through it. I think maybe it got better but it could be totally psychological.
Plugs were replaced at 77k
I noticed some tears in the torque arm bushing which keeps the engine from rotating under load. I replaced that. No difference.
Battery was replaced 1k miles ago.
Only thing I can think of at this point could be a transmission mount or something but how do I check? I don't know where they are.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

ozziegt- did you end up solving the vibration. I’m having the same issue where there is a vibration when in drive but stopped. Just changed motor mount but it did not improve the vibration.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:54 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Originally Posted by Msztab
ozziegt- did you end up solving the vibration. I’m having the same issue where there is a vibration when in drive but stopped. Just changed motor mount but it did not improve the vibration.
Yes, replaced both motor mounts and it's been great since. The passenger mount was totally shot.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:21 PM
Msztab
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear!

Quick Reply: Vibration at idle